• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
So, picked up the below pair of black Camden cross grain leather Chelsea's at the Mr P sale. At GBP525 - not cheap (it'd be my most expensive shoes to date), but considering keeping it.

First time buying Edward Green. Just a few questions:

- How will these last? Cross grain leather gets a bad rep occasionally, but I didn't EG would be using crappy leather. I won't wear these more than once every week or two.

- They fit well right now - just UK0.5 size big. Does the ankle elastic tension loosen substantially over time? That may affect thinking.

-Assume these are a good price?

Thanks guys!

IMG_20180102_194004.jpg IMG_20180102_194032.jpg IMG_20180102_194040.jpg

supern0va

Reaction score
So, picked up the below pair of black Camden cross grain leather Chelsea's at the Mr P sale. At GBP525 - not cheap (it'd be my most expensive shoes to date), but considering keeping it.

- How will these last? Cross grain leather gets a bad rep occasionally, but I didn't EG would be using crappy leather. I won't wear these more than once every week or two.

- They fit well right now - just UK0.5 size big. Does the ankle elastic tension loosen substantially over time? That may affect thinking.

Thanks guys!

View attachment 901153 View attachment 901156 View attachment 901157

Nice. Aren’t these half off? That’s a great price.

I find Edward Green’s Utah leather to be the best “hatchgrain” leather amongst top makers. Most others including G&G, St Crispins, Zonkey Boots use horween hatch grain which I find inferior to Utah leather.

Article 26

Reaction score

Thanks guys!

View attachment 901153 View attachment 901156 View attachment 901157
Am I alone in thinking... are you for real? Do you follow this blog?

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Nice. Aren’t these half off? That’s a great price.

I find Edward Green’s Utah leather to be the best “hatchgrain” leather amongst top makers. Most others including G&G, St Crispins, Zonkey Boots use horween hatch grain which I find inferior to Utah leather.
Thanks! 30% only (I'm ex EU). I saw cross grain and was a bit put off, but obviously can't imagine EG using crappy leather.

Am I alone in thinking... are you for real? Do you follow this blog?
Huh? As a first time EG buyer, I didn't follow this thread and obviously have not read it entirely.

Last edited:

R W-E

Reaction score
Thats too bad. I liked sergio. Very helpful when i dealt with him.

And maybe i am the only one here that does not know, as people are conversing like they know you, but R W E is Robert from EG? Thats the only two people i had dealt with at EG and both were great.

Confusingly for such a small shop, there were two Roberts: the manager is one (he's been there 20+ years and is a really nice chap) and I am the other!

R W-E

Reaction score
Is Delapré better than their other calf skins or is it different?

Not really 'better' - just another option. It's waxier and softer than standard calf or Country Calf, but I was never a big fan as it tends to show the creases more than any other leather. But if you like that slightly more worn look and are looking to add something new to your collection then it's a worthy addition.

DapperPhysician

Reaction score
Not really 'better' - just another option. It's waxier and softer than standard calf or Country Calf, but I was never a big fan as it tends to show the creases more than any other leather. But if you like that slightly more worn look and are looking to add something new to your collection then it's a worthy addition.
The creases are coarser rather than finer?

Thanks for you answer btw.

R W-E

Reaction score
The creases are coarser rather than finer?

Thanks for you answer btw.

Not really, as far as I can recall - they're just more obvious than on a standard calf.

Not a problem. As for a favourite last, that's a very tricky question to answer and depends quite a lot on the model! 82, 202 and 606 are probably my favourites.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zug Galways carried me through an extensive winter woodland hike in the company of some good friends and their German Shepherds. Probably only about 5 or 6 km, but over broken ground with plenty of fresh snowfall, it was more than a decent test for a premium field boot. The weather and terrain didn't even make an impression on these boots.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Wesley Crusher

Reaction score
Zug Galways carried me through an extensive winter woodland hike in the company of some good friends and their German Shepherds. Probably only about 5 or 6 km, but over broken ground with plenty of fresh snowfall, it was more than a decent test for a premium field boot. The weather and terrain didn't even make an impression on these boots.

Now that's what the Zug Galways were made for. Well done! :fistbump:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evelynsolace05