• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Seller The Real English Shoe - This for real?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if it's good but not too good to be true? Like, for example, 20% off C&J shoes?

KayJay85

Reaction score
hahah thats my exact concern
and its amplified by the fact that when i emailed the seller he responded quickly....almost too quickly. and enthusiastically

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Unless it is significantly cheaper than the usual suspects (pediwear, bodileys, plal) I'd pass. The brick and mortar guys are reputable, they generally accept unworn returns and IIRC, pediwear matches prices. Maybe not for an ebay clown like this though. I've never understood the fascination with ebay for stuff you can get not on ebay.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that he/she might be an employee or knows someone who works there. However, the hassle of dealing over ebay and risk of getting a lemon/ seconds is quite high. I don't know how it works in terms of removing VAT for non-EU buyers, plus C&J ships free on some online shops.

If he had a shop and offered this, I would be most thankful. Think pediwear price match.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Why dont you point us to a source who will give a discount on C& J price list ?

KayJay85

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texican
+1!

@OP: If you think that's cheap, you're obviously buying from the wrong sources.

PLAL was cheaper but they dont ship anymore
John Rushton mentioned to me that he might be able to negotiate a discount on C&J but I do not have hard prices in hand

I second what others have said and would love to see you recommend a place with C&J benchgrade for <£250

texican

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Why dont you point us to a source who will give a discount on C& J price list ?

This requires patience, which a sizeable portion of SF member's don't seem to possess in abundance, but is hardly rocket science. Invest some time in the relationship with your local/favourite vendor, keep buying from him, chat shoes etc and you end up paying prices that more accurately reflect what the product is worth. Shame my source (shop in Little Venice - go figure) is closing down because they can't find a young successor.

As an aside, you should invest some serious thought in considering the alternatives - I am increasingly sceptical that C&Js are worth their new prices (whoever said increasing prices in a recession was a smart idea...).

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texican
This requires patience, which a sizeable portion of SF member's don't seem to possess in abundance, but is hardly rocket science. Invest some time in the relationship with your local/favourite vendor, keep buying from him, chat shoes etc and you end up paying prices that more accurately reflect what the product is worth. Shame my source (shop in Little Venice - go figure) is closing down because they can't find a young successor.

As an aside, you should invest some serious thought in considering the alternatives - I am increasingly sceptical that C&Js are worth their new prices (whoever said increasing prices in a recession was a smart idea...).

So the upshot is that you haven't got a source who will give a discount on C& J price list?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics