• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eataly

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I'd be interested in eating at more of the restaurants inside, some of them looked really good and they appear to be more of the focus of Eataly rather than the groceries. The gelato was quite good, too.

That's pretty typical at these kind of emporia in the US. Expect it to become more restaurant focused over time as they realize what sells.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That's pretty typical at these kind of emporia in the US. Expect it to become more restaurant focused over time as they realize what sells.

even though I think it was over-hyped, the things they do well they do very well. The wine list at the place we ate at was very well priced and accessible ($60 wines in store they would sell for $90 for example ... with plenty under $40). The in store beer selection is also very impressive and will expand considerably when the rooftop beer garden opens up. And I am very happy with the mushroom selection and prices, this is a considerable positive for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm posting this for my new bro metro:

One stop shopping for all things Italian your heart could ever desire.

Craving some nice penne dressed with a simple marinara sauce? Check. Or perhaps a nice pork chop instead (or a whole roasted rabbit, if so desired)? No problem. Need some jams for breakfast tomorrow morning? There's not just one, but TWO walls full of choices. What, we need more cutlery and a pot to boil water in? It's all there, in multiple colours and sizes. And what if you need a cook book to figure out HOW to cook everything in your basket? Head to the back next to where the beer is.

This place is massive and just a fun place to walk around and peruse, with the hope that you will be dreaming up the next amazing meal you could be cooking at home. Given the gargantuous nature of the beast, we decided to focus our efforts on all things sweet and delicious. The pastry section was a great place to start, where we found a lush tortina elvezia (almond decadence is an understatement) that made even the monte bianco, plush with meringue, chestnuts and cream, seem light.

Right across the way, they were serving small cups of Bicerin "700" for $1, which were essentially shots of warm, liquid Gianduja topped with a teaspoon of chocolate caviar. And then to their left was the perpetual line for gelato, complete with smooth, creamy gelatos and crisp, refreshing sorbets of figs, strawberries, and the like. Which one should you get? They're all good, and they will happily let you try as many as you like until you find the one that satisfies whatever craving you might just happen to have at the time.

There is so much more to this place that one trip will certainly not do it justice, so I definitely look forward to coming back and digging deeper into everything this place has to offer. Especially that amazing-looking cutting board with fresh figs and prosciutto... mmm...

Yelp is so awesome.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
rotflmao.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm posting this for my new bro metro:

Yelp is so awesome.

Thanks bro. Will have 2 check out this delectable gem on my next excursion into the gustatory heaven that is New York City!!!
bounce2.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love at first sight! The line for today's grand opening wasn't so bad -- I got in right at 4pm sharp and only showed up at 345 -- but I'm sure that will change. Somewhat of a mad rush but all sorts of culinary delights awaited! Several espresso bars at the front. Gelato! Free sample overdose! 18 month aged parmigiano reggiano straight from the cheese wheel! proscuitto! Go to the deli and ask for the Batali family sopressata piccante from Seattle! It's AWESOME! Free booze! Tons of bread! The seafood area even had fresh mako shark!!! And surprisingly, the prices are very reasonable. I picked up some fresh basil, cold cuts, cheese, bread, and a bottle of beer for like $25. I didnt try any of the restaurants but did a quick survey and the pizzas in particular looked very good. And of course, no visit to Eataly would be complete without the Man himself. I got a picture of Batali, who was wearing his trademark orange Crocs...and striped pink socks! Also saw Cesare Casella from nearby Beppe! He had some sprigs of rosemary in his chest pocket haha. In sum. Lives up to the hype. I'm sure it will be chaos in the next week. I felt like I was a kid in a candy store. Easily the best supermarket in NYC. Sadly, the rooftop isn't open. I asked and an employee said November.
There is something not quite right here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I also find a pretty consistent inverse relationship between calling yourself a foodie and actual culinary skill/knowledge.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I also find a pretty consistent inverse relationship between calling yourself a foodie and actual culinary skill/knowledge.

Foochebags.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And of course, no visit to Eataly would be complete without the Man himself. I got a picture of Batali, who was wearing his trademark orange Crocs...and striped pink socks! Also saw Cesare Casella from nearby Beppe! He had some sprigs of rosemary in his chest pocket haha.

Did Cesare return to Beppe? Stopped going when he left. Liked the food there.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
And of course, no visit to Eataly would be complete without the Man himself. I got a picture of Batali, who was wearing his trademark orange Crocs...and striped pink socks! Also saw Cesare Casella from nearby Beppe! He had some sprigs of rosemary in his chest pocket haha.

Did Cesare return to Beppe? Stopped going when he left. Liked the food there.

What do you think of Mario's pink sock?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you think of Mario's pink sock?
Question sounds like a trap. Didn't care for the pink Attolini tie that much either

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw report from here on CNN this morning. People were making there own pizza?! Is this for the United Statians only? I'm fairly sure this isn't permitted in IT....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yelp delivers.

Let the Italian Angels shine their light on Eataly and sing down from above:

"Hallelujah!"
"Che bellissima!"
"Si, si mangia!"

And the Italian god of Pasta smiled and said "E 'bene." (It is good.)

Eataly is a sight to behold-- a true mecca for all things that belong in a proper Italian kitchen. With posh lighting, a variety of foodstuffs and samples aplenty, it's easy to be overwhelmed and still delighted in Mario Batali/Lidia Bastianach's latest venture. There are rows and rows of beautifully shelved products imported straight from Italy and admiring the gorgeous packaging is enough to take up an entire afternoon's time. There is a macelleria (butcher), formaggeria (cheese), salumeria, gelateria, two pasticcerias and even a food court unlike any you've seen before.

Price-wise, there are items that are on-par with your typical NYC grocery store. Dry pastas, canned sauces, etc. Others, like the fresh meats and cheeses are a smidge pricier than what you'd see at a Whole Foods. Nothing seemed exorbitant.

Each counter seemed to be well staffed and I saw plenty of friendly Eataly employees (in their Batali inspired orange crocs, no less) running around the floor offering their aid. Everything seemed to be running smoothly and I would definitely make a stop by here to pick up fancy ingredients for a special home-cooked meal.

One disconcerting incident I managed to overhear, however, involved an employee unable to help a customer-- he had no idea what polenta was! Really? You work at an Italian food empire and you don't know what simple polenta is? It makes me question their hiring practices. I think I just heard the Pasta god utter "Uffa!" (Ugh!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads