• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Durable jeans for less than $40?

mbc

Reaction score
Try to pick up some J Crew jeans on sale or at an outlet. I've had some of theirs that lasted quite a while.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearance pairs of GAP 1969 Premium jeans.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
Try to pick up some J Crew jeans on sale or at an outlet. I've had some of theirs that lasted quite a while.
Agreed. The J Crew jeans I had a while back were lasting forever, but I put them in the dryer and shrunk them too much.

I really don't suggest Levi's STF. I have a couple pairs, and while one has lasted a while's wear, they don't look very good. The other was quickly trashed and looks terrible.

dare-

Reaction score
land's end?

I have some of their dress shirts, which are really well-made for the money.

mcflip

Reaction score
you don't want to get jeans that are a poly blend (unless you're really into sweating and smelling funny once it gets warm out) Also, poly blend pants wear weird, you'll get weird fuzzy knubs all over them as they wear.

If you just want to be really utilitarian about it:
- look at the construction. Are the seams tight? were they gone over more than once? Are the buttons/rivets, etc. not cheap looking/feeling?
- obviously steer clear of distressed/whiskered/faded jeans. They are as the name would imply, worn in a bit so that takes some of the life out of them.
- go for thicker as opposed to thinner denim.

As far as fits go, go with whatever's flattering and comfortable on your body type. Everyone is built different, so there are a myriad of different cuts out there.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abercrombie is overpriced crap. Nautica and DKNY, far as I know, are no better. You pay for the name. J Crew is actually fairly good if you can stand the cuts. Try to get them on sale, though.

Max

Reaction score
I've had my non-shrink to fit levis 501s for a good 4 years now, and I actually wash them. It's a quality product.

jedwards

Reaction score
Why not get some Carhartt rigids?

They are really heavy denim and basically built for TRUE workmen in terms of lastability and quality.

I own a pair, and they might not be the trendiest jeans ever with a beautiful indgo fade etc and all that other stuff, but it sounds like you're after a quality pair at a fair price, and these would fit the bill perfectly.

Everyone also says good things about the Wrangler rigid 13MWZ, which is about 20 US I believe in the states.

remember: Jeans are a workwear garment - they should last pretty much forever. The first brands to make jeans as TRUE workwear (not fashion items) will and still undoubtedly produce the best jeans which fit the criteria you have specified. So you should look at traditional 501, Wrnagler, Lee, Carhartt models

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I grew up spending my summers working ****** off on a ranch; riding horses, cutting down trees, building fences with barbed-wire, etc. and let me tell you; EVERYONE that has ever worked on a ranch would swear their unborn children on a pair of Wranglers/Carharrts; all the cowboys, loggers, etc......yeah they are high-rise and may not fit perfectly, but they are tough as **** and very cheap. Levi's STF 501s are nice too.....

mdk

Reaction score
Sort of off-topic, but does anyone know if the Rigid Levi's Capital E 501 is actually raw or an emulation?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdk
Sort of off-topic, but does anyone know if the Rigid Levi's Capital E 501 is actually raw or an emulation?

Definitely raw. In truth there is no point in making emulated raw jeans, because that requires spending money to do some sort of treatment, where as in raw jeans no treatment whatsoever is required.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads