1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Durable jeans for less than $40?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Trale, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Trale

Trale Member

I've browsed the "Top ten jeans" thread, and in my mind there's no way to justify buying a pair of $200+ jeans. For me to throw down that much money, they would have to be absolutely wrinkle free, stain-repellent, water-proof, dirt-proof, never-needs-washing, indestructable, and comes with life-time moneyback guarantee.

With that said, is there anything special about "designer" jeans that makes them better than a $20 pair jeans one can find at Ross?

Right now, I'm looking at a replacement for an old pair of $20 jeans. I've worn it now for about 6months, and it's coming apart. The fabric at the rear is thinning, and will probably develop a tear or hole in the next few weeks. The seams at the leg's end are also shredding. These are problem's I've had with jeans for a very long time. (BTW, I'm 5"10, 160 lb, in other words, not fat).

My serious question is, if I pay more for a pair of jeans, would I get better fabric that's considerably more durable? Or is that all jean fabrics are alike and I would only be paying for better "design"?

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

My serious question is, if I pay more for a pair of jeans, would I get better fabric that's considerably more durable?

Yes

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Or is that all jean fabrics are alike and I would only be paying for better "design"?

design is a huge part of what makes/breaks a pair of jeans. It could be made from the best "zimbabwean cotton japanese shuttle loomed selvage denim" but if it fits poorly no one is going to wear it. It's easily argued that the premium brands do have better design/fits than a run of the mill $40 pair.

4. Trale

Trale Member

Yes

care to elaborate?

5. j

j Senior member

If you are in or near NJ (or Japan) or have someone near there, get a pair of Uniqlo Ring Denim jeans. They are about ~$30 or so and so far my pair has worn like iron. In fact they are breaking in more slowly than my APCs which are known as one of the most durable brands.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

care to elaborate?

I've been wearing my oldest pair of premium denim, a pair of PDCs, 1-3 times a week for over three years. There is not even the beginning of a hole yet. Obviously not all of the $180 retail price went to making durable denim, but there certainly is a difference.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

If you are in or near NJ (or Japan) or have someone near there, get a pair of Uniqlo Ring Denim jeans. They are about ~$30 or so and so far my pair has worn like iron. In fact they are breaking in more slowly than my APCs which are known as one of the most durable brands.

The man has the answers, though Uniqlo jeans are closer to $50 than $30 in the States. APCs do wear like iron. They are considerably better constructed than Uniqlos, the hardware nicer, and the denim is tighter woven, but I'd be hard pressed to justify the price difference based on durability alone...

8. Trale

Trale Member

design is a huge part of what makes/breaks a pair of jeans. It could be made from the best "zimbabwean cotton japanese shuttle loomed selvage denim" but if it fits poorly no one is going to wear it. It's easily argued that the premium brands do have better design/fits than a run of the mill $40 pair.

Fit isn't a problem for me even at the $20 price range, I may have to try on about 10 pairs in dressing rooms from various brands, but I usually find one that's comfortable and suits my frame in the end. My problem has been durability. My current jeans are developing a hole on one butt cheek due to an asymetrical pocket design in the back (one pocket has an extra pattern/stiching the other doesn't). In previous jeans, tears usually form around the back pocket's stitching as well, which makes sense there's a lot of stress there and the sudden change in fabric thickness due to the pockets.

I suppose better design could possibly distribute stress better, but I'm more interested in the fabric material differences between cheap and expensive jeans. If paying more means I get fabric that's signicicantly better, then I might consider spending more than $40.

9. Trale

Trale Member

The man has the answers, though Uniqlo jeans are closer to $50 than $30 in the States. APCs do wear like iron. They are considerably better constructed than Uniqlos, the hardware nicer, and the denim is tighter woven, but I'd be hard pressed to justify the price difference based on durability alone...

I'm in CA (SF bay area). But if I'm ever in NJ, I'll be sure to check them out. I'd be willing to give APCs a try, but do any typical stores carry them (Macy's, Mervyns, etc)?

I'd rather not buy any clothes online since I can't try them on first.

10. Trale

Trale Member

I've been wearing my oldest pair of premium denim, a pair of PDCs, 1-3 times a week for over three years. There is not even the beginning of a hole yet. Obviously not all of the $180 retail price went to making durable denim, but there certainly is a difference.

Good to know. Visually speaking, I don't see any appreciable difference between premium jeans and regular jeans. I have more respect for premium jeans if they really do last longer and have other practical superior qualities.

11. minya

minya Senior member

Rustlers, available from Walmart.

12. nairb49

nairb49 Senior member

Lee makes some almost indestructible workhorse denim.

But I think you may have partly* answered your question in that your $20 jeans are falling apart after six months, whereas Nudies, for example, recommend the first wash AFTER six months.

Granted, I agree that no jean is worth $200 or $150 for that matter unless it has collectible/vintage value, but then, whats really worth its price these days? Grain of salt I suppose.

13. Trale

Trale Member

Rustlers, available from Walmart.

Really? Will definitely check them out.

Do you have a pair? What's your review of it?

14. minya

minya Senior member

Really? Will definitely check them out.

Do you have a pair? What's your review of it?

No, I don't, but I'm honestly puzzled by what you're looking for from a pair of jeans.

- Durability?
    - Fit?
    - Design?

If you're really put off by paying high prices for jeans, and all you care about is durability, just get whatever's cheapest (ie, Rustler at Walmart). I'm sure millions of workers buy and wear them. They'll probably last you six months, at least -- and they cost, what, $10 - 15? Can't be too expensive.

If you care about fit and design, then be prepared to spend more money.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

my coworker bought a pair of Rustlers from Walmart. $15 and dry denim. If you just want no-nonsense-cover-your-butt jeans then these will do that. Fit wise they were straight legged and more on the relaxed side. The indigo in the denim didnt look too good. He wore them once and never again. I'd buy them if I shat myself and needed something quick and cheap to change into. But if I were to take a blind wear-test with all distinguishing marks taken off between various premium and cheap jeans, I know I would never pick the Rustlers.

*and this coworker who bought the Rustlers is cheap as hell and could care less about "quality" jeans or clothes in general, and even he could tell the Rustlers sucked.

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior member

I actually saw a pair of Rustlers today at a thrift store that had really cool fade and wear, but I wouldn't buy 'em either. Why don't you check out Wranglers, I figure that out of all of the cheapo jeans brands they would probably last the longest, I mean you can still get them with rivets in the back pockets. Or why don't you just go to a thrift store find some old Levis for $5, then you could buy 8 pairs for under $40 right.

17. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

i had Rustlers like 9 years ago. They stretch quickly and rip in no time. Makes you feel tough. Trash, basically.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I'm surprised no one has come right out and recommended Levi's Shrink-To-Fit. They're about $40 flat and while they're no where near the premium denim quality, they're no where near the price. I'd recommend them, or just Levi's in general for being both durable and affordable. Fair warning, however - if you do go for the STFs, don't pay attention to the shrinking information on the tag. Buy one size bigger for your waist, and two inches longer than you'd like. Levi's claims a shrinkage rate of two inches on waist, and 4 inches on length but everyone's experience seems to say otherwise.

To answer your general question, yes, premium denim jeans are much more durable than regular jeans. Many of us wear the same pair of jeans, day in and day out without ever washing them for up to 6 months or more - this is even harder on the jeans as the denim weave doesn't have a chance to heal itself (preserving its life), and yet it takes years for us to begin to develop holes, unless you have a wallet with protruding metal pieces (buttons, etc).

DarkNWorn put it well that the things many of us pay for in premium denim aren't special or noticeable to the non-afficionado, but is somehow justified as it satisfies our insatiable craving for best-of-the-best denim.

However, if you made the trek to a hipster clothing store and tried on denim from the likes of Rag&Bone or others listed in our top 10, even you (someone who is inexperienced with the intricacies of premium denim) would notice an immense difference in every aspect, from fit to quality, to whatever. A lot of people do have a really hard time finding denim that fits them very well and looks cool yet unique yet not too gaudy (the list goes on), and when you find stuff that satisfies your quota, the price tag seems non-consequential.

19. raley

raley Senior member

Countdown/pool for how long it takes this guy to purchase a pair of APC's and a pair of Nudies online without trying them on? 2 weeks? Any other guesses? [​IMG]

20. Trale

Trale Member

No, I don't, but I'm honestly puzzled by what you're looking for from a pair of jeans.

- Durability?
    - Fit?
    - Design?

If you're really put off by paying high prices for jeans, and all you care about is durability, just get whatever's cheapest (ie, Rustler at Walmart). I'm sure millions of workers buy and wear them. They'll probably last you six months, at least -- and they cost, what, $10 - 15? Can't be too expensive.

If you care about fit and design, then be prepared to spend more money.

That's understandable, because I'm not entirely sure what I SHOULD be looking for. All I know is that I'm unwilling to pay triple digit for jeans. However, I am getting tired of having to shop for new jeans every 6 months. I'm looking for that happy medium between price and quality. So for right now, durability is a priority. Of course, the jeans have to be comfortable and fits well before I even consider buying it. I'm not so much concerned with design (like I said, most jeans look roughly the same to me anyway).

What's the definition of "fit" anyway? Does it mean specific name like "straight-legged", "boot-cut", "flared", "Relaxed fit, "Loose Fit", etc? Or it refer generically to how well fits the body/legs, maybe comfort. For me, I've always needed "Loose Fit" jeans to be comfortable. I don't care much for the various cuts, but straight-legged has worked for me. Is there a particular cut that's trendy right now?

In terms of general quality, is there a certain ratio of cotton[​IMG]olyester I should look for in the fabric? I just checked the tags on my old jeans and it's 100% cotton; maybe that's why it wore out so quickly.