• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for an Interview and a Class Project

Bloomster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been viewing this forum for a couple of years (thanks everyone who contributes to the slim-fit shirt thread
inlove.gif
), but this is my first post
smile.gif

For a class project I had to make a website; so I made one on how to dress for an interview. As part of the assignment I have to ask "experts" in the subject field of the website, so I naturally thought of this forum.

Here's my site: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jhb321/

Would some of you mind looking over it and critiquing anything that seems off? I've read through a couple similar forums on this subject matter, but I need to get direct feedback from experts as part of the assignment.

Thanks everyone!

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many comments, but I lack time, so a few things:

1. You advise the reader to focus on fit, but offer virtually no guidance as what that means. Most folk wear poorly fitted suits, in part, because they do not know what it means to fit a suit properly. For your advise to have value, it must answer that question (e.g., shoulders, chest, length, sleeve length, hems, etc.). Moreover, there is little reason to believe that the average reader of your advise would have any better idea of fit if he were to try on several hundred suits, let alone a dozen;

2. That segment of the population for whom the suit will be worn for interviews, weddings, and funerals will likely wish to spend no more than a few hundred dollars and will buy the suit at a mall or, if we are lucky, Jos. A. Banks. You ought gear some mention of those options;

3. Brooks Brother is NOT for the heavier American. One can dress quite nicely at Brooks even if thin;

4. It is completely unnecessary for the reader to get measured by a tailor for wither the suit or the shirt. At most better establishments, the seller will provide that service;

5. The shirt need not be starched at time of purchase. A basic white or blue shirt will be fine for interviews;

6. French cuffs are NOT preferred for interviews. A conservative business dress would hew toward a barrel cuff. Moreover, most interns lack the resources to invest in quality cuff links;

7. Your shoe advise focuses more on point of purchase rather than style. For the person who is going to wear dress shoes infrequently, I would advise a simple pair of captoes in black. I see no reason to suggest Aldo; and

8. I do not mean to be harsh, but you may wish to have the text proofed by a competent editor. There are quite a number of grammatical and usage errors.

Good luck with your project.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Former co-worker of mine dress trad and shops only at BB. Has done so for more than 40 years.

He is on the thin side. Obviously, he has the suits and blazers tailored, but looks fine. I am not suggesting that BB suits are cut to be slim; what I am suggesting is that BB is not "more for the heavier gentleman" as the OP suggests.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Former co-worker of mine dress trad and shops only at BB. Has done so for more than 40 years.

He is on the thin side. Obviously, he has the suits and blazers tailored, but looks fine. I am not suggesting that BB suits are cut to be slim; what I am suggesting is that BB is not "more for the heavier gentleman" as the OP suggests.

They are though, but not exclusively; they have quite a few items available in XXL. You can only tailor clothing so much, especially when they start off in a pure sack-cut which even when tailored is not flattering on thin people.

Did he purchase his shirts at BB as well? Because when he tucked in his shirts I'm sure he had a nice sail sticking out of his back.

Jon.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon-

My colleague was not the height of fashion. He was very trad and liked the sack look. He is fit - not heavy. While he would not earn awards on this forum, he looked fine.

I am not suggesting BB to be the go to brand for the slim - they are not. All I am suggesting is that BB is not Rochester and is not geared toward that demographic. A person of average build can buy a suit and shirt at BB and look totally presentable..

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Jon-

My colleague was not the height of fashion. He was very trad and liked the sack look. He is fit - not heavy. While he would not earn awards on this forum, he looked fine.

I am not suggesting BB to be the go to brand for the slim - they are not. All I am suggesting is that BB is not Rochester and is not geared toward that demographic. A person of average build can buy a suit and shirt at BB and look totally presentable..

Agreed.

Jon.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bloomster
...For a class project I had to make a website; so I made one on how to dress for an interview...
I have looked at your website -- briefly. I suggest you do some research. There is an excellent reading list on the blog, "A Suitable Wardrobe". You would also do well to place a disclaimer on the website making it clear that the website is experimental.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also suggest a more visually appealing layout. As it stands now, there are a couple pictures then a sea of blue, white and words. Maybe a background photo instead of the white block, some links to the companies you mention in a format like the top of this forum, a photo-instructional on how to tie a windsor, etc. I think I would be more apt to read more closely and not merely browse quickly through.

I also agree that not only should you mention the importance of fit but you should also include why. What constitutes 'good fit' (sleeves, jacket length, pant length, proper shirt measurements, etc.)

You are most certainly on track to a good grade and you have the makings of a good website there too
smile.gif

Bloomster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I added a part about how a suit and shirt should fit. Can anyone look it over and tell me if I missed anything or said the wrong thing? Thanks!

.xbe

Reaction score
You might wanna make separate links leading to different categories. It's quite cluttered as of now. Take GQ's for example (http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/gqrules/intro) You need to up the visual appeal as well. I don't know about you, but I would brush that website off if it comes across in one of my searches. You're not writing a paper here. Your main audience are college students. Pictures, especially when it comes to what fit is. That GQ guide has tons. For the intro page, I would suggest putting a sloppily suited guy next to sartorialy one, just to get your point across.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads