• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes with jeans.

enigma77

Reaction score
Seriously -- my take on "dressier" shoes with denim is that if the shoe is intended to be an ultra-fancy dress shoe, then think twice. Most of what we consider "dress shoes" aren't actually dress shoes in the Victorian (or whatever) sense. Example: would you wear Park Avenues or tuxedo shoes with jeans? You might, but probably shouldn't. Go for something that has a bit more personality, like most of the wing tips or monks linked to above. Aside from the make of the shoe, the make of the jeans is important too -- something with a slimmer (not necessarily skinny) leg opening is usually best. Big leg openings are too casual and too 90s for proper shoes.

You've also got to think about color of the jeans with the color of the shoes. IMO black jeans are difficult to pull off with dressier shoes -- you run the risk of looking like a rich biker with no taste/ex-member of The Clash who went to business school. Same warning for very light wash or highly faded jeans (the risk there is that you look like you're 12). Darker indigo jeans are easiest and best to wear with proper leather shoes. I think pretty much any color works with them, which is why they're blue jeans.

I'd actually look through the Alden thread in SW&D and see what people are wearing with those shoes (and not just Indys). This is obviously not to say that Aldens are the be-all end-all of casual nice shoes, but they're a good fit for that market and are popular with people who want to wear wing tips with jeans.

Also, longwings and suede haven't gotten enough mention. Both are famously versatile and pair well with denim.

Croata

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, i get most of it, but i''m a bit puzzled about no-no to captoes, to me they seem to work great, as long as they're not too shiny. I mean, a lot of wingtips are actually captoes. with wings.
fight[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Croata
Thanks for the tips, i get most of it, but i''m a bit puzzled about no-no to captoes, to me they seem to work great, as long as they're not too shiny.

Captoes don't flow with denim IMO.

Croata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Captoes don't flow with denim IMO.
Last time i was buying shoes, i tried on both wingtips and captoes, and 4 out of 4 people commented that captoes look great with the jeans i had on, and that wingtips were way over the top. Go figure.

XeF4

Reaction score
Simple oxfords in black and well polished with unfaded denim is the only dress shoes with jeans look I pull off.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time i was buying shoes, i tried on both wingtips and captoes, and 4 out of 4 people commented that captoes look great with the jeans i had on, and that wingtips were way over the top. Go figure.
Damn....I mean whatever works for you man! I think a light brown brogue wingtip looks badass with dark, raw denim though. Identical to post #114.

Croata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Damn....I mean whatever works for you man!

I think a light brown brogue wingtip looks badass with dark, raw denim though. Identical to post #114.

I think so too, but at the time i decided to trust others.
eh.gif

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reason i dont really like black captoe shoes with jeans (especially black balmoral cap toes) is because i've yet to see some that dont look like sleek dress shoes that should be paired with a suit or something. I do, however, have an old pair of brown captoe shoes i wear with jeans somtimes, but i kind of wish they weren't captoes.

as for wingtip brogues, super shiny ones i dont think would work too well, and would look too busy, but something like a paul smith dip dye miller:

paul-smith-mens-brown-131013-2910_medium.jpg

I think would work great with jeans, because they're so slim with slim soles, and have more of a matte finish to them.

aizan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
I like this thread. i think it needs more pics.

Posted this on WAYWRN a couple of weeks ago:
DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

The shoes are quite sleek and are a black medallion toe as you can see. The jeans are not very tapered at the hem, and are of a mid rise, sort of 501 fit. Despite the general wisdom of slim leg + more casual dress shoe, i think this works.

But i think this is a case of jeans being more formal, rather than shoes being more casual.

Someone post some more pics.

swap out the oxfords for a blucher boot. smaller belt buckle wouldn't hurt, either.

KenAF

Reaction score
What about these, do they work with jeans?
Allen-Allen%20Edmonds%20Easton.jpg

Those aren't perfect, but they would be ok. I would prefer a more modern silhouette to go with jeans, like something from Vass or C&J. Not everyone has access to those options, however. Be sure to avoid chunky, wide shoes if you are going to wear slim fit pants. Slim fit pants and jeans need shoes with a slim silhouette. Larger, chunkier shoes are more appropriate with bootcut or relaxed fit pants. As others have said, brown shoes go best with blue jeans. Don't wear black shoes with blue jeans unless (a) the jeans are black or near black -- like unwashed selvage, or (b) the jeans are very dark and you are wearing a black top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads