• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Boots for the Chicago Winter

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to carry around dress shoes then just buy some overshoes. No need to complicate things. If you're worried about how dumb they look, don't. The secret is that everyone wonders what shoes are so fancy that they have to be protected in such a way. For those occasions when you forgot your galoshes, be sure to keep a couple plastic grocery bags handy :)

Good idea with the over-shoes....SECONDED.

Artem

Reaction score
I considered getting some overshoes, but like I said, I'm in and out of buildings on campus and don't want to have to take them on and off. And I don't want to carry them around with me. I'd prefer to put something on and not have to think about it.

How do you all feel about these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9963_1_40000000001_-1

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9022_1_40000000001_-1

Rubber soles and no laces for snow to get stuck in. Are they likely to get ruined by snow? If so, I'll probably just go with the Steve Maddens.

peach

Reaction score
Artem , those are nice and the Danite soles are most appropriate. I have had them placed on a couple of my dress shoes for those sloppy days when I must wear a suit , without them it only takes a couple of blocks to have wet and cold feet. When you are home for the night if you wipe them with a diluted white vinegar and water solution you mitigate the salt issue. Brook's Shoe repair will put a Danite sole on any shoe , i think i paid $35.00 the last time . I hope you enjoy Chicago.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing mild about Chicago winters. I lived there for 40 years and none of the boots you're looking at will do well. Your best bet would be to leave a pair of shoes or boots at the place where you're doing your internship. Get yourself some insulated waterproof boots for the slop and change when you get to the "office". If you're worried about how it looks don't. Anyone in the know about Chicago winters does this.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's nothing mild about Chicago winters. I lived there for 40 years and none of the boots you're looking at will do well. Your best bet would be to leave a pair of shoes or boots at the place where you're doing your internship. Get yourself some insulated waterproof boots for the slop and change when you get to the "office". If you're worried about how it looks don't. Anyone in the know about Chicago winters does this.

Sage advice. You don't want freezing feet all winter, right? Winter in the Midwest is damned inconvenient.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember 20 below zero days with a foot of snow and 50 mph winds coming off the lake all to well. There are a few things I miss about Chicago but the winters aren't one of them.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt he will want to do overshoes, if he is anything like me in undergrad. I don't like to carry extra crap with me unless it's necessary. However, when I am in NY I do not spend much time outside so regular rubber soled boots do just fine.

The boots I was referring to are by Allen Edmonds, The Bayfields. Unfortunately they are now discontinued so my search continues.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

because, IMO, if you're starting from scratch, black is your best bet.

I disagree with this post. I do not find black shoes very versatile or good looking. Of my 30+ pairs of shoes, I think I have three pairs of black shoes and they hardly get worn. Browns are much easier to pair and on the plus side, they do not show salt and snow marks as much as black.

If you are lucky, the Brooks Brothers cordovan boot goes on sale for around the price of those AE (if you can wait for the after Christmas sale). I have a pair and they are one of my favorite boots and are made by Crocket & Jones which is a very respected and quality shoe maker.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSortOrder.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found them

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-bayfield-captoe-boots~228873_-1.html

because, IMO, if you're starting from scratch, black is your best bet.

I disagree with this post. I do not find black shoes very versatile or good looking. Of my 30+ pairs of shoes, I think I have three pairs of black shoes and they hardly get worn. Browns are much easier to pair and on the plus side, they do not show salt and snow marks as much as black.

If you are lucky, the Brooks Brothers cordovan boot goes on sale for around the price of those AE (if you can wait for the after Christmas sale). I have a pair and they are one of my favorite boots and are made by Crocket & Jones which is a very respected and quality shoe maker.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSortOrder.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523

+1

Last edited:

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived and worked in Moscow for five years and quickly learned to leave two pairs of dress shoes in my office -- one oxblood and one black. I wore heavy duty boots outside the office during winter. Compared to Moscow winters (-20 for weeks), Chicago will feel like a spring day. Overshoes are a good back up plan.

I would not spend $350 on AE "dress" boots -- Chicago winters will beat the crap out of them. Get some sturdy high-top ones from your local Army/Navy store (or LL Bean) and spend the reminder on nice office dress shoes.

Last edited:

Artem

Reaction score

Artem

Reaction score
After looking around some more, I've narrowed my search down to these three:

Steve Madden Evander 2:
http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-evander-2-brown-leather

Johnston & Murphy Knowland:
http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Mens-Knowland-Boot/dp/B0050S6W7C/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_2

Banana Republic Swift Chelsea:
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=416150002&tid=bramz1r&kwid=1&ap=14

I love the J&M brown brogued boots; it's a shame that the black ones aren't brogued. The shape, color, brogueing(sp?)... everything about those is beautiful.
The Banana Republic ones are very sleek and nice as well.
And I like the Steve Maddens, too. But I'm concerned that the black ones will be very plastic-looking, if that makes sense.

I can't decide which of these to get. I might even get one in brown and one in black. I guess it comes down to quality because the price is approximately equal.

What are your opinions?

atoms

Reaction score
I think it would be wise to focus a little more on construction and a little less on looks. Some boots are crafted for your purpose, others not so much. Of the three, I believe the J&M will have the highest quality build but I'm not sure if they'll actually keep your toes dry in the slush. I would'n't spent $5 on the Steve Madden's and have no experience with BR shoes. They all look fairly deadly having no traction and all.

Artem

Reaction score
I think it would be wise to focus a little more on construction and a little less on looks. Some boots are crafted for your purpose, others not so much. Of the three, I believe the J&M will have the highest quality build but I'm not sure if they'll actually keep your toes dry in the slush. I would'n't spent $5 on the Steve Madden's and have no experience with BR shoes. They all look fairly deadly having no traction and all.
I won't be climbing mountains in them. I just need for the soles to not get ruined from sidewalk slush. The Steve Maddens are decent quality for the money from what I've read and have the best traction of the three. Banana Republic clothing is of decent quality in my experience, but I've never owned their shoes. I assume the same holds. The J&M are also of good quality from what I've read.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You worry too much about soles. I wear leather soled boots in water and mud all the time. You need to concern yourself more with the uppers and welt. None of those boots you have listed will do well in slush water and snow. You are setting yourself up for failure and if you insist on doing it anyway you'll learn the lesson the hard way. Not climbing mountains? OK, but you would be way better off with a good pair of mountaineering boots. At least you would have traction and warm dry feet. You're talking about footwear that'll be used in an extreme environment. It doesn't matter if that environment is in the back country of the Rockies or in an urban jungle. There are some cases where style goes out the window in favor of comfort and survivability. Chicago winters is one of those environments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads