• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double breasted 4x2

Brian SD

Reaction score
Particularly looking at this suit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....17&rd=1 The measurements match up to be identical to my current suit that fits wonderfully, and I've really always wanted a navy DB suit, but I'm curious - is 4x2 against the rules? I believe I've heard that 6x2 is the only way to go. I think it looks great, but I don't want to be the only one who thinks so.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Sir, There is certainly nothing wrong with a 4x2 double-breasted suit. I have a wonderful vintage navy stripe suit made by Hogg & Sons in 1962 from some sort of indestructable 18 oz hard-finished wool. I've received a few compliments when I whenever I've worn it. The best one was when someone told me I looked like I'd stepped out of the 1930's. I don't know anything about the quality of that brand but as it is designer, it isn't likely to be top drawer. There is a significant problem with that suit you link to though; it is single-vented and that is totally unnatural for a double-breasted suit. I would avoid this particular model but endorse the 4x2 wholeheartedly. Regards, Sir Garnet Wolseley

Brian SD

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. As far as the brand name goes, it's my personal favorite designer and I already own two suits by her - so that's cool. However, you did note that the jacket is single vented which is unusual for double breasted... I'll investigate a bit before I buy anything. I assume the suit is probably of $1500 - 1600 retail (which is surprisingly under average for a fashion designer, especially one who has full-canvas suits), and $250 seems like a deal to me, even as a collector of Jil Sander. Now that my love for JS has been established, do you still think that a single vented DB is outright absurd, or just different / contemporary? I have never bought a DB suit before, so I really do appreciate the feedback.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
I would say that if you love the designer and know first hand the quality of the suit, in addition to actually wanting the darned thing, why not?. While personally I would never buy a single vented double breasted suit, mostly because I hate single vents, I've also been known to harbor an odd respect myself for the 6 x 6 DB which I would consider just as unconventional as the double breasted, single vented suit. To each his own I guess. Besides, it's not like someone's going to be snickering behind your back about the absurdity of your vent. (Then again...
smile.gif
)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The vent can be closed so it is not an issue. That cut would look awful on me, but something tells me it might work on a slim guy.

Oh, and 4x2 is perfectly acceptable. Not common, but still a classic option. The Duke himself used to wear them.

Classic

Reaction score
A close friend just returned from the US where he purchased a JS, single vent 4x2. (is this a coming trend?) Although I must admit to having problems with the single vent, the suit looks great on him and recieved several compliments from women at a night out last Friday, a fact that did not go unnoticed by his wife.
Go for it.

Classic

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never thought of a single-vented DB before, but I could see myself wearing it as a 'sporty' DB suit - maybe with an open-collared, colorful shirt or a ribbed turtleneck, some chelsea boots... With a white shirt, burgundy tie and black oxfords, however, I would say no - it would just look like a holdover from the eighties.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I can add is that I have had a good experience with this seller. The weave seems like a hopsack-good texture.

tdial

Reaction score
I own three Jil Sander suits and love all three. I don't wear them for the most formal and conservative business functions, but they are great if you want to look a little more modern.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're a 36R, that would indicate that you are smallish in stature. I have never thought that double breasted jackets look good on smaller men. Again, don't take this the wrong way--I'm also too short to wear one, in my opinion.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a cheap price for Jil Sander, but at least here in DC, Filene's Basement received hundreds of JS items that Filene's had an impossible time selling -- everything from heavy wool overcoats to dozens of flimsy cashmere shirts and sweaters. Alot of it was a little too fashion forward for conservative downtown Washington. Thus, it doesn't surprise me that someone might try to flip a JS item picked up for slightly more than nothing at Filene's.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Oh, and 4x2 is perfectly acceptable. Not common, but still a classic option. The Duke himself used to wear them.

All you need to know....  

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wow, didn't expect to receive so much feedback. Thanks guys.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're a 36R, that would indicate that you are smallish in stature. I have never thought that double breasted jackets look good on smaller men. Again, don't take this the wrong way--I'm also too short to wear one, in my opinion.

This is something that I am worried about as well. I am generally very picky about suits being slim enough, and while Jil Sander does better than nearly all other designers to fit the bill, I am afraid that a DB just will not look right on me.

EDIT: I reread your post and am thinking you are referring to height alone (horrible reading comprehension here). If so, I don't think it should be an issue, I'm about 6 ft. even.

That is a cheap price for Jil Sander, but at least here in DC, Filene's Basement received hundreds of JS items that Filene's had an impossible time selling -- everything from heavy wool overcoats to dozens of flimsy cashmere shirts and sweaters.  Alot of it was a little too fashion forward for conservative downtown Washington.  Thus, it doesn't surprise me that someone might try to flip a JS item picked up for slightly more than nothing at Filene's.

I am going to visit a friend in Providence at Brown U next spring, perhaps I'll hold my wallet together until then, so I can check out the selection there.

BGW

Reaction score
Are you crazy? Buy the suit.

I doubt you will find a suit a) by your favorite designer b) in exactly your measurements c) in a style you've "always really wanted" d) by a very reputable ebay seller e) at a hugely discounted price.

I almost want to buy it just to spite you. Besides, if you buy it and hate it, I bet you could flip it with not much trouble for only a small loss (if that).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads