1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Double breasted 4x2

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brian SD, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Particularly looking at this suit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....17&rd=1 The measurements match up to be identical to my current suit that fits wonderfully, and I've really always wanted a navy DB suit, but I'm curious - is 4x2 against the rules? I believe I've heard that 6x2 is the only way to go. I think it looks great, but I don't want to be the only one who thinks so.

2. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

Sir, There is certainly nothing wrong with a 4x2 double-breasted suit. I have a wonderful vintage navy stripe suit made by Hogg & Sons in 1962 from some sort of indestructable 18 oz hard-finished wool. I've received a few compliments when I whenever I've worn it. The best one was when someone told me I looked like I'd stepped out of the 1930's. I don't know anything about the quality of that brand but as it is designer, it isn't likely to be top drawer. There is a significant problem with that suit you link to though; it is single-vented and that is totally unnatural for a double-breasted suit. I would avoid this particular model but endorse the 4x2 wholeheartedly. Regards, Sir Garnet Wolseley

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I appreciate the feedback. As far as the brand name goes, it's my personal favorite designer and I already own two suits by her - so that's cool. However, you did note that the jacket is single vented which is unusual for double breasted... I'll investigate a bit before I buy anything. I assume the suit is probably of $1500 - 1600 retail (which is surprisingly under average for a fashion designer, especially one who has full-canvas suits), and $250 seems like a deal to me, even as a collector of Jil Sander. Now that my love for JS has been established, do you still think that a single vented DB is outright absurd, or just different / contemporary? I have never bought a DB suit before, so I really do appreciate the feedback.

4. Doctor Crane

Doctor Crane Well-Known Member

I would say that if you love the designer and know first hand the quality of the suit, in addition to actually wanting the darned thing, why not?. While personally I would never buy a single vented double breasted suit, mostly because I hate single vents, I've also been known to harbor an odd respect myself for the 6 x 6 DB which I would consider just as unconventional as the double breasted, single vented suit. To each his own I guess. Besides, it's not like someone's going to be snickering behind your back about the absurdity of your vent. (Then again... [​IMG] )

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

The vent can be closed so it is not an issue. That cut would look awful on me, but something tells me it might work on a slim guy.

Oh, and 4x2 is perfectly acceptable. Not common, but still a classic option. The Duke himself used to wear them.

6. Classic

Classic Senior member

A close friend just returned from the US where he purchased a JS, single vent 4x2. (is this a coming trend?) Although I must admit to having problems with the single vent, the suit looks great on him and recieved several compliments from women at a night out last Friday, a fact that did not go unnoticed by his wife.
    Go for it.

Classic

7. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I'd never thought of a single-vented DB before, but I could see myself wearing it as a 'sporty' DB suit - maybe with an open-collared, colorful shirt or a ribbed turtleneck, some chelsea boots... With a white shirt, burgundy tie and black oxfords, however, I would say no - it would just look like a holdover from the eighties.

8. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

All I can add is that I have had a good experience with this seller. The weave seems like a hopsack-good texture.

9. tdial

tdial Senior member

I own three Jil Sander suits and love all three. I don't wear them for the most formal and conservative business functions, but they are great if you want to look a little more modern.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're a 36R, that would indicate that you are smallish in stature. I have never thought that double breasted jackets look good on smaller men. Again, don't take this the wrong way--I'm also too short to wear one, in my opinion.

10. kabert

kabert Senior member

That is a cheap price for Jil Sander, but at least here in DC, Filene's Basement received hundreds of JS items that Filene's had an impossible time selling -- everything from heavy wool overcoats to dozens of flimsy cashmere shirts and sweaters. Alot of it was a little too fashion forward for conservative downtown Washington. Thus, it doesn't surprise me that someone might try to flip a JS item picked up for slightly more than nothing at Filene's.

11. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

All you need to know....  

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Wow, didn't expect to receive so much feedback. Thanks guys.

This is something that I am worried about as well. I am generally very picky about suits being slim enough, and while Jil Sander does better than nearly all other designers to fit the bill, I am afraid that a DB just will not look right on me.

EDIT: I reread your post and am thinking you are referring to height alone (horrible reading comprehension here). If so, I don't think it should be an issue, I'm about 6 ft. even.

I am going to visit a friend in Providence at Brown U next spring, perhaps I'll hold my wallet together until then, so I can check out the selection there.

13. BGW

BGW Senior member

Are you crazy? Buy the suit.

I doubt you will find a suit a) by your favorite designer b) in exactly your measurements c) in a style you've "always really wanted" d) by a very reputable ebay seller e) at a hugely discounted price.

I almost want to buy it just to spite you. Besides, if you buy it and hate it, I bet you could flip it with not much trouble for only a small loss (if that).