• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't let this happen to you!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Buddy of mine came over last night and I noticed he had finally washed his APCs. He had come on here to ask about them about a year ago and must have worn them for 9 months straight without washing them.

ty1yy2.jpg

ty2yn7.jpg

I'll get him to post pics of the rest of the jeans, because there is some seriously sick stuff going on otherwise.

But let this be a lesson to you - move the cuff around...
lol8[1].gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I don't cuff my dry jeans, but I actually kind of like the ripped-where-I-cuffed-'em thing.

What I always get is a hell of a lot of fading on the back of the leg down near the hem. I know some is normal, but I get tons--more than I see on most people's pics. Not sure why.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning!
smile.gif

I've been working on breaking in my APCs and have been starting to worry about the cuffs. I kind of just want to wash them so they shrink so I can get them hemmed. Not sure what to do as there is only one cuff that I seem to be happy with.
confused.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you still want to go for the long time no wash look, maybe soak them and then starch them before they dry all the way. It's a good idea to get the shrinkage out of the way IMO.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you still want to go for the long time no wash look, maybe soak them and then starch them before they dry all the way. It's a good idea to get the shrinkage out of the way IMO.
How do I do that? Just soak in cold water w/ woolite black and hang dry. Then spray some starch on them before they are totally dry?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WatchGuy
How do I do that? Just soak in cold water w/ woolite black and hang dry. Then spray some starch on them before they are totally dry?
Yeah, I would soak with a little woolite (optional, really), rinse, hang dry and spray down the creasy areas, then put on slightly damp and wear to dry. This isn't an official method, but people have reported that starching their jeans will help reset the creases to keep up the raw-like wear post-washing.

Servo2000

Reaction score
The backs of my cuffs are totally thrashed on my APCs from wearing them with Slip-ons / Chucks / other low bottomed shoes. I think it adds a mild distressing that works pretty nicely, in my opinion. It doesn't look artificial at all, although it does somewhat prevent me from, at this point, wearing them with nice shoes.

Then again, the cuffs aren't exactly conducive to that either.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Yeah, I would soak with a little woolite (optional, really), rinse, hang dry and spray down the creasy areas, then put on slightly damp and wear to dry. This isn't an official method, but people have reported that starching their jeans will help reset the creases to keep up the raw-like wear post-washing.
Thanks for the tips, J!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you do not plan to cuff forever, then don't. I strongly suggest soaking in hot water (no need for soap at all), then drying, then hemming a bit long.

Refer to my RRDG in the pics of denim thread to see what happens if you don't. I now hem all my dry jeans.

moykky

Reaction score
Aren't they sanforized? Only minimal shrinking...?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moykky
Aren't they sanforized? Only minimal shrinking...?
APCs shrink like 1" in the length as far as I remember. It's been a while.

Reaction score
I don't know if you want to starch after the soak if you want to avoid rips like that. The Japanese practice of soaking (noriotoshi?) is to remove starch and other unwanted elements from the manufacture of jeans that would break down the denim. I am beginning to think of starching as crack-cocaine for jeans. Maybe fun in the short term, but...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

What I always get is a hell of a lot of fading on the back of the leg down near the hem. I know some is normal, but I get tons--more than I see on most people's pics. Not sure why.

That's because you wear your jeans a fair bit looser than most people here (from your pics, your fits are pretty close to mine.) There is a lot more contact with the ground at different areas near the hem during different parts of your stride. I get the same, FWIW.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
That's because you wear your jeans a fair bit looser than most people here (from your pics, your fits are pretty close to mine.) There is a lot more contact with the ground at different areas near the hem during different parts of your stride. I get the same, FWIW.

:slaps forehead: That's totally it. My RRDS, which I wear low, but are not loose (I have a hard time riding my bike in them because the thighs are so tight), don't have much more fading there than normal. My APCs, which I wear pretty loose, have tons there. And my RRDGs, which I wear somewhere in between, and were pretty long pre-hem, had the same thing. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Well I took some of you guys' advice and made another cuff. Now, depending on what shoes I'm wearing I can cuff at a level where they don't touch the ground at all. The lower cuff is pretty worn but not all the way through. The higher cuff is new, and apart from the crease itself - there's no sign of any wear at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads