• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like this suit?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont' forget that it is more difficult to surrender when you are not attacked (as the you are 6 000 km from the enemy)
and when you arrive 3 years after the begining of the war.
Sigh, I swore...SWORE...I was never going to get into a debate on this forum again but....

The last time the French won a war was, what?, the 1880s? Even Canada, the nation with the pathetic military, has a prouder recent tradition.

Lay off the disses of the U.S. -- they may screw up occasionally but at least they lay it on the line voluntarily.

Oh, and the suit looks too small.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. In contrast to what I know y'all are thinking I'm going to say next:

1] Thank you for the Statue of Liberty
2] Ernest and Carlo - neither of you are saying anything we haven't all said before so go drink some bourbon.
3] The suit is too small or you are too big. One of the two of you needs alterations.

Now I'm going to the kitchen to eat some Patriot fries with my California cab.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
War is nothing to be proud of, friend.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The last time the French won a war was, what?, the 1880s?
Give the French some credit for WW1, which was a wreck all the way around, but they fought bravely and held the line.  The Franco-Prussian War of 1870 was a defeat for them, but not a disaster like May 1940.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
War is nothing to be proud of, friend.
Perhaps not, but one's conduct in war can be something to be proud of.

With that, I bow out of this debate and resolve never again to get into another such non-clothing discussion.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that, I bow out of this debate and resolve never again to get into another such non-clothing discussion.

Filed, Under: "Will be useful in the very near future"

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
(Chris H @ Feb. 14 2005,08:06) Hello Ernest, If you like the suit and material why don't you take it to a tailor to see if it can be adjusted for a better fit? BTW I think it looks alright, just slightly tight.
Hello Chris, What BTW does mean? Because I do not know any tailor and because I guess that you can not make a armhole larger.
Then what's this whole discussion about anyway? If you already think the suit is too small, insist it's uncomfortably tight and don't seem interested in having a tailor look at it, just take it back and everyone will be happy.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but not a disaster like May 1940

Oops, didn't see that. That was NOT a disaster. It was good, sensible - virtually omnicient - advance planning for the Franco-German U.N. alliance of 2003. Stop bashing. Give credit where credit is due.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too tight.

A few things which might help you with your next bargain hunting sessions :

- Try everything on, unless you are absolutely certain you are buying the same suit as one you already have.

- This looks goofy, so try it only in the dressing room privacy : actually button the three buttons of the coat, if you can't, it's bad news.

- third optional advice, bring someone with who can give you an unbiased advice on your overall look. Since you don't have an eye behind your head, only someone else can detect plies and pleats on the back of the coat.

.luc

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great thing about living overseas for a long time is that it makes you realize just how petty arguments between different countries and their countrymen are because they're all the same, and crazy.

And I like how the suit looks. But if it feels wrong to you, change it.

arvi

Reaction score
i much prefer the one hanging behind you..i'm neutral on yours..perhaps i would like if it weren't paired with striped shirt sans tie..a crisp white shirt and appropriate tie would greatly enhance

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
How can you make a larger hole? It seems impossible
Actually, it's not impossible. My tailor told me once that he could "crack the sleevehole seam" (probably not the correct english phrase). That would make the sleevehole about 1/2 cm larger.

/Mr S

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i much prefer the one hanging behind you..i'm neutral on yours..perhaps i would like if it weren't paired with striped shirt sans tie..a crisp white shirt and appropriate tie would greatly enhance
The other is for women = 100% cashmere = 920 euros, I paid 34 euros.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too tight.

A few things which might help you with your next bargain hunting sessions :

- Try everything on, unless you are absolutely certain you are buying the same suit as one you already have.

- This looks goofy, so try it only in the dressing room privacy : actually button the three buttons of the coat, if you can't, it's bad news.

- third optional advice, bring someone with who can give you an unbiased advice on your overall look. Since you don't have an eye behind your head, only someone else can detect plies and pleats on the back of the coat.

.luc
I was not alone...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
but not a disaster like May 1940
Oops, didn't see that. That was NOT a disaster. It was good, sensible - virtually omnicient - advance planning for the Franco-German U.N. alliance of 2003. Stop bashing. Give credit where credit is due.
Kabbaz, stick to making shirts. Whatever one may say about the French, your francophobia and implied equation of the French with the Nazis, and Nazism with the Franco-German opposition to the ongoing war, is beyond the pale. Not to mention that ernest in no way incited or invited this pogrom, and I use the word advisedly, simply by using the term redneck. Why the hell can't we just talk about clothes instead of a) insulting the French at every opportunity b) insulting GW Bush/the Iraq War at every opportunity c) then making every exchange personal? That's it, another ******* great start to a Valentine's Day. Now I'm going to take a Manton pass and never talk politics on these fora again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads