• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an IG aesthetic that you think would work for a J. Crew crowd?

Easy to say but hard to maintain the discipline to execute well: creating aspirational lifestyle stories with a look/style that can endure for more than one season. But, if you want to build a new audience you must offer them something fresh so that they feel they are getting in on something they can call their own. In addition to a line of regular apparel and accessories have an entire line that borrows the smart, styled look of Arc'teryx (with its own spin and more affordable) which mixes urban tech, activewear, outdoorwear and can be combined with many classic apparel pieces(jeans, knits,etc).

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Entire world is wrapping things up. Had hoped that they'd do well with their angle on things as it was interesting to me as business trying to go their own way.

I loved Sternberg's quirky marketing and point of view. It was fun and light-hearted. That NYT article last summer shed some light on things, it looked like he was going to run out of money early last year and then COVID and sweatpants gave him a lifeline. I feel for anyone running a brand, it's not easy.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a brand that sells basic sweats at a rate of 1,000 per day and at prices that look like very comfortable margins, can’t find capital to keep going, I just don’t know what to say. Something doesn’t compute. Did the supply chain implode because of Covid shutdowns and logistics issues? I’d love to understand because the NYT article seemed to imply it was selling sweats like hot cakes. ?

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If a brand that sells basic sweats at a rate of 1,000 per day and at prices that look like very comfortable margins, can’t find capital to keep going, I just don’t know what to say. Something doesn’t compute. Did the supply chain implode because of Covid shutdowns and logistics issues? I’d love to understand because the NYT article seemed to imply it was selling sweats like hot cakes. ?
Articles can say anything…. Sophistry is the order of the day…..

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the articles in the past on Entireworld mentioned going from 50ish to 1,000 sales a day over not a very long period of time. While that 1k units a day might have been at a high point, it sounded like it was rapid growth for that one category specifically. Having that kind of scale of change, if true, could easily break a small team's systems. The cash flow to support that kind of growth of inventory and the changes necessary to meet demands could easily eat up all free cashflow and put you in hole. Even "good problems" are a problem.

I do wonder if the DTC nature of the model, with no pre-booking by retailers might cause issues with scaling up as predictability and cash flow projections could be "noisy" and lead to issues in inventory levels and cashflow if company didn't do things just right. For sure there's more to their story than we'll know other than apparel is a tough business.

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the articles in the past on Entireworld mentioned going from 50ish to 1,000 sales a day over not a very long period of time. While that 1k units a day might have been at a high point, it sounded like it was rapid growth for that one category specifically. Having that kind of scale of change, if true, could easily break a small team's systems. The cash flow to support that kind of growth of inventory and the changes necessary to meet demands could easily eat up all free cashflow and put you in hole. Even "good problems" are a problem.

I do wonder if the DTC nature of the model, with no pre-booking by retailers might cause issues with scaling up as predictability and cash flow projections could be "noisy" and lead to issues in inventory levels and cashflow if company didn't do things just right. For sure there's more to their story than we'll know other than apparel is a tough business.

He may have just needed a savvy operator on his side. He obviously is a great marketer, but business management takes a different skill set.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

To me there are two basic business models and these businesses need to figure out which one they want to employ.

1. you can run a business where you grow slowly, focus on being profitable as soon as possible and grow slowly from the profits you make. It’s not a glamorous model but a sustainable one if you take good care of your customers needs.

2. you can run a business where you don’t worry about being profitable but expanding rapidly by offering a ton of bells and whistles and seeking funding to expand as big as you can as soon as you can. In this case the objective is to get the business to be “valuable “ in order to either sell it or go public. I see these business all the time that borrow a lot or seek “rounds of funding” in order to continue growing, only to be sold for billions, with the founders cashing out..
They go bust very often…..Theranos was a good example of that

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I don't quite understand it either. I'd love to know more though, what went right and what went wrong.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growth cash flow is the easiest thing to fund (everyone and their mother wants to lend you money for inventory and AR funding because of the collateral nature and visibility) so that cannot be as simple as saying that they were growing so fast they ran out of cash. It would be enlightening to understand better

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads