• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discout shopping and the little guy

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to why their are very few smaller sizes at discount stores. I'm a 38R with a 15" neck and a 29-30" waist and when ever i go into a discount store the size run for me is very small (i pitty those members who are smaller the 36S). They always seem to have larger sizes like 44 and 42 but very few 38 does anyone know why this is? Do they make fewer small sizes (i've always heard they make more small sizes).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are limited quantities cut for smaller and larger sizes. In the middle is where you'll find most of the excess.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I think it might be a conspiracy against the little guy.

Another far fetched possibility might be that discount stores only get the sizes that dont sell as well as the others.  Therefore more popular sizes 38-40, would get sold on the first market and the other sizes sold at the secondary markets or the overstocks if you will.

However there are some sizes that simply arent produced as much and those would be the smaller sizes. (34 and 36)  (See earlier threads for retails discrimination against the slim and small.)

I think the conspiracy theory is more likely but you never know.

EDIT: In Italy at the prada outlet they had always the largest size Church shoes and the smallest. Nothing in between.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would extend the conspiracy theory beyond the scope of discount shopping. even higher end full price items can be difficult to find in smaller sizes. i wear anywhere between a 36R and 38R, usually settling for whatever i can find instead of what actually fits.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Er, I thought 44 was a 'small size'
sad.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike C. is dead on, it is equally difficult to find stuff in size 46.  I so wish I was a 44.
What about the great Isaia suits on Sierra Trading Post (Euro size 56, which folks in the know say is equivalent to U.S. size 46)?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I think it might be a conspiracy against the little guy.

Another far fetched possibility might be that discount stores only get the sizes that dont sell as well as the others. Therefore more popular sizes 38-40, would get sold on the first market and the other sizes sold at the secondary markets or the overstocks if you will.

However there are some sizes that simply arent produced as much and those would be the smaller sizes. (34 and 36) (See earlier threads for retails discrimination against the slim and small.)

I think the conspiracy theory is more likely but you never know.

EDIT: In Italy at the prada outlet they had always the largest size Church shoes and the smallest. Nothing in between.
Actually Jon forgot to mention that he carries small and XS in some of his merchandise. (Truth be told I've been meaning to try one of his sweaters...Jon, I'll contact you...)

Jon.

stache

Reaction score
I think that part of the problem is your shopping location. You would probably find a better size range for your needs in an area with more Asians and Latins.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually Jon forgot to mention that he carries small and XS in some of his merchandise. (Truth be told I've been meaning to try one of his sweaters...Jon, I'll contact you...) Jon.
Hey... I sell ties to people who wear them once in a while I can sell Sweaters to people from South Florida... I bet it gets "all the way" down to the 60's during the winter, no? I hate your kind.
wink.gif

guitone

Reaction score
I wear a 40 short, 34 waist low rise pant (i hate them too tight), medium sweater, 15 1/2/32 shirt (no 32/33 for me, thanks), and I have a hell of a time at sales as well. I can sometimes find a sweater here and there, if I get to the Nortstrums sale early I can get some shirts, but not always the ones I really want....Banana republic sale area is another story altogether, their stuff is cut way to small these days, at least their T types, button downs are fine. J Crew factory outlet is the best place to go but a small man (I am 5'7 and weigh 145 pounds) will get lost in their pants. Stick to shirts and sweaters and maybe a jacket at these places, go to lands end and maybe BR for their Gavin chinos, dress pants expect to pay full price, as well as on jackets unless you can get a really lucky find like I did recently on two canali sport coats, still not cheap but better than full retail.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, vista, I won that auction for $32. ($41 shipped)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads