• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diablo III / 3

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

729 flawless squares for one radiant star. :uhoh:  Factor in the gold cost, which is 12k for making ONE flawless square, and I guess scales upwards, and you'll find out that it's not really worth it.

Or, 1,594,323 chipped gems.

Kuki

Reaction score
And all I want to do is put a stupid Nef rune in my hand xbows, too...

Someone found a windforce, get that
tongue.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
729 flawless squares for one radiant star.
uhoh.gif
Factor in the gold cost, which is 12k for making ONE flawless square, and I guess scales upwards, and you'll find out that it's not really worth it.
+500dex and +40 min/max dmg on my DH sounds pretty tempting to me

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the auction house is so awesome. maybe its my dutch blood, but lowballing on everything is a great way to get nice blue/yellow gear. i've doubled my DPS by spending maybe 10k and then turning around and making it all back by selling junk. its also really nice since you can get gear that is exactly your level requirement, and finding something your level requirement with good mods is just about impossible. i bought 2 ~170dmg fists for 2k each at lvl 46 when i was using some random 120dmg polearm, shredding the end of NM now.

sell EVERYTHING. if you play regularly and don't have 10 auctions on the go, fix it. anything with a decent stat boost will get snapped up, and there are still a lot of people with more money than sense out there. 5k for junk rares? sure! trash blues are good to sell, too - 50 dex, 9 mf boots sold for 2k. that isn't a lot, but considering the vendor would've gave me 200 or so, thats pretty good. that'll quickly turn into a few tomes, etc

Last edited:

Kuki

Reaction score
A feature I wish they would change is being able to withdraw your auctions after the initial 5 minutes, I hate having crap I just throw up there, not being able to sell decent stuff when it comes around.

Last edited:

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But you get 34 dex from a flawless square, and 58 from a radiant star. Not that big of a difference.
+24dex per socket isn't a big difference? That's 216dex if you upgrade all available sockets

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah, but at what gold cost? It's 12k to get ONE flawless square, and I assume it increases by 2k for each level. The first tier is then 12k*729, and then you have a few steps more.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Yeah, but at what gold cost? It's 12k to get ONE flawless square, and I assume it increases by 2k for each level. The first tier is then 12k*729, and then you have a few steps more.
I imagine that the game economics are going to change as more people play this game for longer periods of time. You can always get your gems out of your items and upgrade them when it's convenient for you. Eventually--perhaps months or years from now--these things will become more common. It's not like D2 where gems were destroyed by the removal cubing recipes.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
@ level 60s want to divulge what their gear does? Are you getting stuff with +200 to a stat without using gems? Or does it pretty much max out at 100-120ish?

Jarude is right, I should be selling more **** on the AH. I've taken to selling stuff for pretty cheap - no more than 10k an item. Most stuff is like 3000-5000 buyout and it goes pretty fast, almost doesn't matter what it is if it has a socket.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to sell much more in the AH, too. Just sold a good rare item for 50k (42k after fee) as opposed to 300g from the merch. I guess I'll just sell better items because of the 10-auctions-at-a-time-limit though. Haven't bought any equip for me yet.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

...8 hour outage, seriously?

I think it is standard for blizzard to reserve tuesday mornings for maintenance periods on all of their games. I haven't played WoW in years, but I remember this being true even then--realms would go down at like 4AM or something. They wouldn't always take the full period that was blocked off, but I think they made a habit of always doing a reboot or something just so people are used to tuesday maintenance and don't plan huge raids at 4AM.

I imagine that the game economics are going to change as more people play this game for longer periods of time. You can always get your gems out of your items and upgrade them when it's convenient for you. Eventually--perhaps months or years from now--these things will become more common. It's not like D2 where gems were destroyed by the removal cubing recipes.

It will be interesting to study the economy. The prevalence of random goods (vs WoW where goods come from a set loot table) makes it hard to necessarily value items well since you have to look at all of the stats rather than look at the name and know what it is. Even in D2 before they really enhanced sockets and rare items, you would get a ton of almost identical items (I remember my zon going through 3-4 different Buriza-Do unique crossbows since the damage was still random and you would occasionally find one with a little higher max damage).
There are other items that are identical (gems/crafting bits) which seem to fluctuate wildly as the market evolves.

Now we have an inherently inflationary currency (blizzard removes 15% from the market on every transaction but I pick up that much gold in 10 minutes of playing) and we are about to add in real money. How much stuff is going to move to the RMAH when people decide they want to try and cash in on their rares? At the same time, how many people are going to pay real money for leveling-gear? I can see someone paying for some 60 gear (although it sort of defeats the purpose of the game which is essentially a loot hunt once you beat it) but for some level 30 junk on your 4th character? So the low level stuff probably won't do well at real money--but will the prices inflate because now people aren't getting gold for their high level items (since they instead try to get cash) and so they need to get gold for other things by selling low level rares at high prices in the AH?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pvp will dictate the course of the economy when it comes out. this is clearly all speculation as pvp won't be here for awhile, but im betting there will be certain staple items for different classes - buriza, anyone? i wouldnt be surprised to see endgame pvp gear with perfect mods (ie. strength boost on a 2h sword) to go for ridiculous amounts. i think a lot of people turned to pvp in d2 once they got bored of hell cows or uber tristram and the ultra-rich would pay money for a perfect torch or a godly rare circlet or whatever would give them the tiniest incremental benefit over the next guy. considering how accessible godly loot will be through the AH, i think we'll see a lot of pvpers shell out the big bucks for the best stuff.

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugh, just got hacked. all my gear, gold, and stash was completely cleaned out.

edit: looks like the SHTF, blizz thread on the issue started 13 hours ago and a ton of people are complaining.

Last edited:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

It will be interesting to study the economy. The prevalence of random goods (vs WoW where goods come from a set loot table) makes it hard to necessarily value items well since you have to look at all of the stats rather than look at the name and know what it is. Even in D2 before they really enhanced sockets and rare items, you would get a ton of almost identical items (I remember my zon going through 3-4 different Buriza-Do unique crossbows since the damage was still random and you would occasionally find one with a little higher max damage).

Indeed. It will also be interesting to see what Blizzard does to regulate this, i.e. the introduction of new enhancements like runes and such, or new legendaries. Right now legendaries are apparently worth a ton of gold on the AH, I have to wonder if this will self-regulate. I also note that those items vary wildly in stats themselves, which is somewhat odd. I.e. look for an Azurewrath Runeblade (would love to use one of those suckers, bet it looks damned cool) and you'll find them with stated DPS ranging from 580-680.
Now we have an inherently inflationary currency (blizzard removes 15% from the market on every transaction but I pick up that much gold in 10 minutes of playing) and we are about to add in real money. How much stuff is going to move to the RMAH when people decide they want to try and cash in on their rares? At the same time, how many people are going to pay real money for leveling-gear? I can see someone paying for some 60 gear (although it sort of defeats the purpose of the game which is essentially a loot hunt once you beat it) but for some level 30 junk on your 4th character? So the low level stuff probably won't do well at real money--but will the prices inflate because now people aren't getting gold for their high level items (since they instead try to get cash) and so they need to get gold for other things by selling low level rares at high prices in the AH?
This is a big question because they need to ensure that gold is NOT inherently inflationary. This may require upping he AH fee to 25%, but remember that's not the only gold sink out there. They could also up the cost to craft, or combine gems. Although the prices for gems suggest to me that it'll be easier to buy on AH than to craft for many people. You can imagine a scenario where gold is so devalued that people start using Stars as currency.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads