Diablo III / 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by GreenFrog, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Really?? Man that suuuuuucks! :fu:

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

yes. sign up for authentication NOW, either via text alerts or android/iphone app. skimming through the bliz thread, it seems that the official line from blizzard is...

-nobody with authentication enabled has been hacked; multiple people in the bliz thread are claiming the opposite

-all hacked accounts were done so via traditional username/password access, therefore blizzard has not been "hacked" or the account has not been technically "compromised." really don't understand this - how would anybody be able to know my username login, let alone my password without using some form of bug/exploit/script/hack/whatever?

to be perfectly honest, i'm not enraged - i'm honestly quite interested to see how this turns out. i just opened a support ticket so we'll see how it turns out; a lot of people have been reporting that since there was no "hacking," only username/password access, they did not get a rollback or any form of restitution. considering that this seems to be some form of co-ordinated attack or opening of the floodgates, im hoping bliz will do a blanket reset, but i'm not holding my breath.

so yeah, go sign up now for authentication. don't get burned. IKnowKungFu is now poor and naked at level 50. :(

3. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Man, that is awful. I aven't installed or played my copy yet. But when I do, I guess authenticating is my #1 priority.

And you are right, it doesn't make sense that the hacker would just randomly guess user names and passwords. Your hunch about there being some sort of exploit is probably correct.

Last edited: May 22, 2012

4. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Hah! Here's to being too poor and crappy to be worth anyone's time to hack!

Also where did your stuff actually go? It's gone from your dude, but to where? You'd think they'd be able to tell where it ended up and figure out who's doing this.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

anyone posting on blizz forums about it immediately gets accused of being keylogged. i dunno, i have the best AV and its always on and updated; i know thats not a guarantee, but still. considering this is some kind of en-masse compromise, i think its systemic.

its just... not there. even my gold - which you can't even physically move around or do anything with as you can with other items - is gone too. dunno WTF is going on... maybe it has something to do with the auction house?

and most of my gear was crap, too.

6. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Fire chains arcane teleporting mob.... Im a monk, shits so unfair. Was even spamming MoH with BoP just couldn't generate enough spirit to keep it up.

7. gort

gort Senior member

Killed butcher on nightmare. Bought some upgrades off the AH for my wizard and I am ripping shit up. :slayer:

8. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sucks about the hax - just downloaded the authenticator, we'll see if it works.

9. otc

otc Senior member

Added an authenticator to my account...hope nothing has happened yet (although some of the stories make it sound like it is a hack in the game so they aren't actually logging into your account).

10. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Authenticator won't help with this specific hack. Multiple people have suggested that their ID sessions were spoofed in a public game, as they were hacked and had authenticators. Spoofing the ID session bypasses all of the log-in steps, so they don't even need your password.

11. gort

gort Senior member

I'm skeptical but we'll see if that's really the case.

12. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's why I only play non-public games with friends.

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

seems like a fair number of people have done this and still gotten hacked. then again, that's taking bnet forum posts at face value, so who can tell for sure?

either way, this seems to be at a big enough scale that i hope bliz does a rollback. i'm not going to play the game any further until i get some kind of answer about the situation, but considering all of this account shenanigans has come on the eve of the RMAH coming online i bet there is a huge kind of clusterfuck going on at blizzard right now.

14. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

this is wrong.

all hacks were done server side by exploiting your session id. login/pass aren't required. they basically get a level 1 into your game and trade your gold.

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

monk sucks. spirit generation only happens in melee range. and most aoe happens in melee range. dps is low as well. its a tank wannabe poor dps class.