• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Delivery dilemma

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many online merchants and eBay sellers, including some esteemed members of this board, use FedEx or UPS to deliver their goods.  Unfortunately, my building does not have a front desk to receive packages, and the FedEx and UPS delivery guys have to leave notices on the front door informing package recipients that a delivery has been attempted.  Both FedEx and UPS have told me that once three delivery attempts have been made, a package will be taken to a central warehouse several miles away.  Short of staying home when I expect a package, what is the best way around this dilemma?  (My employer does not allow delivery of personal packages to the workplace.)  Try to work something out with the seller on a case-by-case basis?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would reccomend getting a box at a UPS (formely Mailboxes Etc.) store, then your packages could be delivered to that place as though it were your address, and to top it off, they are safe and secure until you pick up.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I have a similar dilemna in that UPS and FedEx don't deliver to APOs. I've had perfect luck having ebay and other online sellers deliver using the good ol' USPS, if that's an option for you.

Tom

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can leave a signed and dated note, taped to the outside of your building that authorizes the delivery person to leave the package at your apt door.  That's what I do, and have no problems.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For over seas deliveries, especially any requiring taxes, USPS is the best, UPS charges for example a $50 flat rate charge in Canada just for delivery, on top of the charges weighed toward the shipper. Ridiculous is it not in todays shaker and mover world.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rennault,

The only problem with that is if someone then snatches the product from your door, some stupid UPS guy left a dell notebook on my doorstep once and someone grabbed it before it was picked up by me... that was a complete HASSLE to deal with, although eventually UPS paid dell the insurance and they shipped me another one.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can leave a signed and dated note, taped to the outside of your building that authorizes the delivery person to leave the package at your apt door.  That's what I do, and have no problems.
Listen, from a shippers stand point, there are so many people that are dishonest without needing the help from the crook, drizz is right about the snatchers, but even worse are the non-signers....except for the Forum members, every package I have goes signature required, I had an incident where a gentleman (i use that term to be nice) had me deliver shoes to his apt super, where to retrieve them he had to sign in at the office on a paper stating he got them, then he turned to Visa, said they never arrived, and they would not take a non-UPS signature from him as proof of delivery...I ended stiffed with a $90 shoe lost, and he got a credit back from the card company. And me, high and dry, UPS showed a signature and would do nothing either.

alaaro

Reaction score
Since you are the recipient, you should be able to call fedex to change the delivery address. I have done that before with a fedex package. Granted, it was a business package, not a home delivery. They should be able to deliver to your work as long as you show ID.

Ed13

Reaction score
Why not try to get the packages sent to a friend who you trust. I live in Canada and I often have packages purchased in the US shipped to a friend on that side of the border. His wife is a stay at home mom and it has worked very well. I don't have to deal with customs and duty charges this way. It has saved me a lot of money on my Grenson's from Bennies alone.

rsp1

Reaction score
Make friends with your neighborhood dry cleaner/flower shop/cobbler. When I lived in a nyc rowhouse, I had all my packages delivered to the dry cleaner I used next door. They were happy to sign for packages for me, as long as they had my cleaning business and I sent a holiday gift.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Option 1 - as mentioned, get a box at the UPS store. That's what I do.

Option 2 - you can have the seller address the box to the closest UPS or FedEx terminal, with instructions to hold the package until you pick it up.

I understand your predicament, as a lot of sellers, myself included, will not ship USPS. Standing in line at the post office for an hour to ship one box is not an option...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Option 1 - as mentioned, get a box at the UPS store. That's what I do.

Option 2 - you can have the seller address the box to the closest UPS or FedEx terminal, with instructions to hold the package until you pick it up.
I'm seriously considering option 1. Because the closest UPS distribution facility is about 25 miles away from where I live, option 2 is not really feasible.

I have a deep and abiding dislike of UPS due to the location of their distribution facility and their complete inability to deliver packages to me. They're also pathetically slow, which doesn't help matters. The fact that they're still around is testimony to how pathetic the USPS is.

Edit: Up until recently, I have been a partisan of USPS Priority Mail. The package tracking was awful, but it was fast, and if they couldn't deliver it, at least it would be at the post office less than a mile from where I live. A recent experience has shaken my confidence: a package was shipped priority on Monday, and the tracking webpage said that it had been delivered on Wednesday. Of course, I didn't receive the package on Wednesday. I didn't receive the package until the following Saturday. I can't think of any explanation that doesn't damn the USPS.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an interesting arrangement w/ my UPS delivery guy if no one is here to accept a package (at his discretion, he chooses not to leave packages unattended/ unclaimed at doorsteps)--he leaves it in the trunk of my bimmer, which I have left electronically unlocked (unnoticable to the casual observer). He puts the package in--more often than not shoes of some sort
lookaround.gif
--then shuts the trunk lid, locking it. Granted, you've got to have a spare vehicle kicking around in the driveway, but it works quite well for me.

djkovner

Reaction score
how about having the package sent to your office? as long as you don't do it too frequently and the purchases aren't in large boxes, you should be fine.

stache

Reaction score
Nightowl has given you the best option. The package issue was the deciding factor for my moving into an attended bldg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads