1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Delicious Wines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Mar 21, 2011.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cascina Fèipu Dei Massaretti is the name of the other Pigato is had tried. It is also very good, but a bit less interesting than the one we had at Mozza.

2. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

That one inspired me to start writing down what I like about the wines I like. I'll try the other when it's convenient.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

No homo, but I love Matt's appreciation for wine, which is pretty unique (especially on the internet) and interesting. It is truly all about appreciation and is based in the rituals of the table. It's not about knowing what the aspect of La Tache is and it isn't about why the diurnal shift of a region has an impact on the wine. It is just about drinking it for what it is and loving it for that, and while not "making it simple" it is about demystifying it.

/Matt LoveFest

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

this is funny. And true. But mostly funny.

I used to do this when I was first learning about wine. Then for the last two years I've taken a "fuck writing down shit" attitude. And now that I believe I know a lot more about what I think about wine (if that makes sense), I might start keeping some notes again when it comes to specific sub-regions; i.e., Vosne-Romanee vineyard X producer Y, and then later I'll compare it to my thoughts of vineyard Z producer Y, or maybe vineyard X producer Y, all while thinking about vintage vs. vintage, if that makes sense. I guess in the end (not to suggest that I am anywhere close to an end, if there is an end) once a few key distinctions are really understood - like NZ Pinot vs. French Pinot vs. Cali Pinot, or Napa vs. Bordeaux vs. Italy with Cabernet - one can focus on the very interesting things like the differences in taste and texture between a typical Nuits St. George and Vosne-Romanee, or a Nebbiolo from a low-altitude vineyard in Barolo vs. a higher altitude vineyard in Barolo. Not that this is necessary or important in any way at all, but it's simply my thoughts at this very moment.

also of my thoughts: that Columbia Crest is a bit like the Italian Citra wine logo but with a Klansman dancing at the top of it (I know it's a horse, but my first thought was Klansman. Thanks, $7.95/hr. Columbia Crest marketing major)

5. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Looks to me like a menstrual Rorschach with a murdered Pegasus sprawled out across the top.

Also, noticed that they have 2002 Musar at the government wine store in Philly. I wouldn't have even noticed it ($40 wine from Lebanon--wut?) but I know kwilk raves about it. Vaguely tempted, but am sticking to my New Years resolution of drinking cheaper wines.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

racist

7. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

You're both wrong: [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

and here I thought my childhood was kind of lame

9. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

My parents met in the Gilbert + Sullivan Players in NYC.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Haven't personally tasted the 02 vintage, but have heard good things from a few people I trust. Although, no offense to Big Government intended, the simple fact that it's available at a Philly wine store makes me think it must not be that great :eek:

11. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

12. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

$40 wine from Lebanon-wut?

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

And a delicious one at that.

14. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Crazers. Did you see my post about when I went to Galil Mountain Winery? You can see Hezbollah towers from the parking lot. [​IMG] Didn't know the Lebanese took advantage of the wine region. Thought they only shelled it.

15. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

does it pair well with palestinian chicken?

1 person likes this.
  16. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Philly is a controlled state right? What a shit show.

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I did see that. Most (all?) Lebanese wines are made in the Bekaa Valley, and the main town in the region is Zahle. I'd imagine it's far enough north to be relatively safe, but I have no idea if that's true.

18. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

interesting - I have lebanese wine a couple of times a year, at lebanese resteraunts. I need to look out for that brand/vintage. the ones I have are nice, but we order just to flatter the lebanese distributors.

btw, Kwilk, what do you know about greek variatals? I tried a couple recently, and it seems that there are at least 6 grape variatals in Greece that pretty much aren't found anyplace else. I only really liked one (can't remember which, and I'm not home now) but do you have any light to shed on the subject?

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

2007 Pingus. Very tasty.

EDIT= I mean the Ribera... not THE Pingus at $500 a pop.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

While you are a true knob-gobbler here Matt is indeed a special flower.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012