• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything different and valuable in Roetzel's new Guys' Guide to Style that is not to be found in the two editions of his Gentleman books? Those at my local B&N are plastic wrapped, and I've suspected that is more a less a condensation of his earlier stuff. Is this a false impression.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No. To be honest, it's not even as good as his Gentleman book. Some new information, but very, very basic. Gentleman is much more sophisticated and informative.

AeroCarl

Reaction score
Is there anything different and valuable in Roetzel's new Guys' Guide to Style that is not to be found in the two editions of his Gentleman books? Those at my local B&N are plastic wrapped, and I've suspected that is more a less a condensation of his earlier stuff. Is this a false impression.

I've found that "Gentleman" is centered around the history and lore of various men's clothing items. Although beautifully written and photographed, it isn't much of a "how to dress" book (and it's not intended to be). "A Guys Guide To Style", however, is a how-to guide and while worth owning, only covers the basics and thus doesn't contain any new information if you've already read The Suit or any of Flussers books.

Sevier

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a SW&D equivalent to this thread? Would be very keen to read books from that perspective too...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've found that "Gentleman" is centered around the history and lore of various men's clothing items.  Although beautifully written and photographed, it isn't much of a "how to dress" book (and it's not intended to be).  [COLOR=181818]"A Guys Guide To Style", [/COLOR][COLOR=181818]however, is a how-to guide and while worth owning, only covers the basics and thus doesn't contain any new information if you've already read The Suit or any of Flussers books.[/COLOR]

I'd say that's a fair characterization. Again, after The Suit and Flusser, I'm not really sure there's that many more things that can be said about how to dress well. Though, I would say Gentleman does have some interesting bits about how to wear certain things. Not to be ignored. But past that, good menswear books tend to be for a hobbyist's interest.

Anyone know if there is a SW&D equivalent to this thread? Would be very keen to read books from that perspective too...

To my knowledge, there isn't, but I think someone should start one. I tried bringing the idea up a few times over at Random Fashion Thoughts, but to no avail.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Roetzel's "Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion" to be only OK. I didn't find the chapters on underwear and shaving to be necessary, and the brand whoring for Hermes annoyed me a bit. Why do Hermes ties and belts get their own special sections?

OldManMachine

Reaction score
I found Roetzel's "Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion" to be only OK. I didn't find the chapters on underwear and shaving to be necessary, and the brand whoring for Hermes annoyed me a bit. Why do Hermes ties and belts get their own special sections?

Have you checked out any other book besides that one? If you did, which book would have been your first pick?

Ivar

Reaction score
I'm surprised so many of you find "The Suit" a good introductory book. I think it's more of an intermediate or advanced read: the esoteric terminology, the gimmicky prose style, and the lack of pictures all make it a pretty daunting book, even for the advanced reader. I find that a bit of a shame, since Manton has shown here and on other forums that he has it in him to express himself lucidly and pedagogically.

It was a long time since I read "Dressing the Man", but from what I remember, Flusser's prose felt like reading some boring academic paper. He also dwelled far too much on the history of this and that, which I remember felt a bit wearisome and pointless to me as a rank beginner. (I would, however, probably enjoy those passages today.)

My vote thus goes to Roetzel. But only for lack of better options.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess it's hard to imagine reading a book as someone who cares little about clothing and knows even less. But I definitely wasn't bored reading Flusser. The lack of pictures in 'The Suit' makes it perhaps not the best choice for a sole source of information, but even accompanied with google searching and browsing of SF it gives you what you need to get started. Personally I find the stylistic stuff entertaining.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a fair critique of The Suit. The lack of pictures does make it difficult if you're not already familiar with the subject. And given that Gentlemen is more of a hobbyist/ lifestyle book than purely just how to dress well, that leaves Flusser's. I suppose there's more room for one all-encompassing, "how to dress well" book than I thought.

As an aside, Savile Row: An Illustrated History is turning out to be easily the best book on Savile Row I've read, and Esquire's Encyclopedia is probably the best book on the history of menswear in the 20th century. Not much academic analysis, if that's what you're looking for, but much more in line with the kinds of things people on this board enjoy. Straight history of various pieces and periods.

Cabrera's Classic Tailoring Techniques is also very good. Helps clarify the nitty gritty of how something is made. Obviously not to be used to correct your tailor on anything, but if you're simply interested in the subject of tailoring as a non-professional, this is a great read. Every page has illustrations, so you can follow along.

There ought to be more books on fabrics. Aside from The Elegant Man's section(s), I don't know what else is out there. Does anyone know if there's a book dedicated to the different types of fabrics and patterns used today?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes they'll come up on used books sites for less, but the Esquire piece will always be expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads