Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Jul 28, 2012.

1. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Dress for Success by John T. Molloy is pretty helpful, if dated. For the most part, it's still very applicable even today, if you ignore the sections on trends and dressing for women. The examples still look pretty tasteful and classic. It's particularly interesting for trying to dress for specific purposes in specific geographic regions, especially if you are built nonstandard. I personally am someone who is a visible minority with a small build in a peculiar social group as a student leader, so I need to be very careful in dressing well but appropriately. I came up with my solutions on my own, but reading Molloy's book after-the-fact made me realize why what I chose works, and what would work for others and for myself in different circumstances. It is also helpful for people trying to dress on a budget, which is great for those just starting to build a wardrobe.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I thought the suit was a great beginner book - it gives some hard and fast rules for what works for certain men in certain contexts and isnt too lengthy. Flusser on the other hand, beginning with stuff like 'colour contrasts' doesnt set down any framework.

Can any of you recommend a good book for a casual wardrobe? particularly one that covers dress in different climates/contexts?

3. Reel

Reel New Member

4. Token

Token Member

No one mentioned Men's Style by Russell Smith

5. Funkatronik

Funkatronik New Member

Had to create an account when I saw this. What exactly makes this book so valuable? It's been repressed a few times and it was easily available just a few years ago.

I personally bought a copy for 50€ or something like that, 6 or so years ago. I had no idea the book is so valuable nowadays. Or are those represses illegal bootlegs or something, and only the original 1983 editions are worth that much?

6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

God Molloy's book for a steal too. I think my collection's about done now!

7. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

The Sartorialist: Closer-Men, is this any good? Thinking about scoring it aswell.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

8. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Good fashion magazines or books to get inspiration of is more then welcomed. Sartorialist look or something like that :)

Thanks!

9. DJosef

DJosef Senior member

A very down-to-earth and easy book would be The Fundamentals of Style: An Illustrated Guide to Dressing Well by James Galicho.
    It may not exactly be on par with Flusser or Manton in detail and sophistication, but on the other hand it's rather permissive and more friendly to casual wear than those (and thus more useful in the everydays of the average 16-30yo man), and I think it has the fundamentals down pretty well.

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Interesting, I'll check out the Galicho book. Is anybody else having trouble with the link for the Thornton book? I've done some additional work on the OP, will try to keep up as people continue to post. Has anyone else read the Esquire Encyclopedia? It's really great overall IMHO. Absolutely comprehensive.

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

12. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I just bought and read Fuck Yeah Menswear. Great fun, although a lot of the current slang and rap style poetry was sometimes a little hard for an old fart like me to comprehend.

I am not sure who exactly is the target readership for that book is, except maybe us. I mean how many readers are going to comprehend (on colleges):

"If it doesn't have a school boy at JP,
    it doesn't count.
    Scarves or it didn't happen."

14. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Senior member

I just put together my very own list of 100 menswear books, take a look.

15. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

FYI, I have a copy for sale. See the link below.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013