• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dear Employees: Please be advised that the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend has been cancelled.

Maximator

Reaction score
Canceling with so little notice is just bullshit. Sandy happened several weeks ago...and that decision should have been made soon after it passed...or at least some warning of the possibility be given. Sorry to hear. How much support does this decision have from her seniors?

As far as a your comment on millennials...we are the sorriest ******* generation to come out of America that I can think of. I'm '85, and I agree wholeheartedly with the above sentiments. I would love to say, speaking from the inside, that this lady is not representative of us. But she is. She absa-*******-lutely is.

My biggest pet peeve with us is how we are dealing with our student loan debts. Yes, the loan system is fucked...but we signed a contract...a contract which fucked us...but a contract nonetheless. I have to read on Facebook about various friends "occupying" things against their loans. I paid mine off, 60k+, in 3 years. I know we all can't do that...I don't expect us to. But this whole "blame someone else" is typical of our sense of entitlement and our inability to understand what real work entails. Work is a part of life, not something that happens outside of it. And the younger you are, the more it should be part of your life. If you are under 30, it should damn well near dominate your life. The older you get, the less you should have to work (as you have a family and actually have earned that sense of entitlement). That just makes sense to me. People in their twenties viewing that period of their lives as an extension of college is
baldy[1].gif

**** I hate millennials. And sorry to rant in your thread. And sorry about your Thanksgiving. I hope something good comes out of all of it.

You should be thankful that you're not in China. Here it's 1000 times worse, although here it's with credit card debt, and not student loans. People here have no fiscal control at all. Having a total debt (stemming from over-consumption, not buying property etc) equaling several YEARS worth of salary isn't that uncommon. Now, given the price vs salary ratio, this is actually pretty easy to achieve, but still. People here have NO idea what fiscal responsibility means(or any kind of responsibility for that matter).

Maximator

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was referring to Americans (of which I am one). I think you may have misunderstood my gripe. I wasn't referring to debt; people are more than welcome to incur all the dumb debt they want.

It was the sense of entitlement that a lot of people of my generation seem to have, that and a lack of discipline. Gen X has the same problem but nowhere near this degree. A lot of us seem to expect good things to happen to us NOW and intend on putting in the hard work LATER. I don't know if it's coddling by Baby Boomer parents or what. But it's disgusting.

Again, not all of this generation is like this. It does appear, however, to be one of our most defining traits.

As far as Asia goes...I know South Koreans of a similar age don't share this problem. They may be fiscally irresponsible, but they don't for a second believe they deserve what the world gives them just for being born. They work and work hard (though not always efficiently). I'd be surprised if the Chinese, perhaps excepting an entitled elite, were the same. Such sentiment seems to be generally found in countries which are several generations into development, and it is particularly bad in the US because our individualism has led to an "everybody is special" mentality.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turns out that she was told to advise everyone about this a few days after the storm hit. Our offices were without phones and consistent internet for several days. I was eventually able to get us stable and hobbling along Thursday or Friday after the storm. At that point the call was made by managment to encourage people to work given the anticipated losses were growing rapidly. There are enough single people and guys who hate their wives that even light days would give a bump and soften the blow.

As it turned out her encouragment to people to stay home and "be safe" (in her emails to employees who were trying to make it into the office but would be late) made a big difference. As it turns out now, my numbers show that we are down 35-40% in hours from projections and collections have slowed dramatically. As management suspected, we need those hours.

She purpose chose not to tell anyone in October and not issue the memo, presumably thinking that she was entitled to the days off and hoped that managment would reverse course. She has a very friendly ear in one of the senior partners and sent him to plead her case yesterday before sending the email. It did not go over too well... hence the internal discord yesterday.

All issues and complaints are now being referred to her to deal with. One would presume she would show some compassion since she is largely to blame-- nope. She then tells people she has pre-existing plans for Friday and as such she will not be coming in. Finally, she has the chutzpah to then tell everyone how she intends to use her remaining sick days and vacation days for the remainder of the year.

REALLY?

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

(...)
Remainder of the story developing. If it breaks the way I think it will..... This will be great.

Good luck with that, man. I think that once they play the narrative that The Man is unfair and against them, it's easy to play the victim to everyone - mommy and daddy included. I tend to think that mommy and daddy are the problems in allowing every excuse to fly and never holding them accountable. It's a huge struggle, particularly when they're all in their echo chamber.

Last edited:

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good luck with that, man. I think that once they play the narrative that The Man is unfair and against them, it's easy to play the victim to everyone - mommy and daddy included. I tend to think that mommy and daddy are the problems in allowing every excuse to fly and never holding them accountable. It's a huge struggle, particularly when they're all in their echo chamber.

I agree. I fear for my children. My parents were always told me there was going to be a day when baby bird gets pushed out of the nest. Lucky for me, I learned to fly early.

I know I am going to be the same with my kids. I just wonder how I will deal with the looks and comments from others.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Or perhaps it is because she just told the staff that she will not be in on Friday and that if they fail to show they will be docked a days pay or vacation day. Not ever having a real job, she doesn't know how to interact with anyone in person, prefering to send emails for everything, and doesn't understand why the people that made travel arrangments are now pissed. These staff members are now stuck choosing between ruining the trip to grandma's house and keeping their job. It doesn't make them happy and I cannot blame them.

Wait, she's telling everyone else to work but she's taking the day off? Is she for real?

Damn, I'd hate to see what happens to her office when she's out enjoying the post-Thanksgiving hangover on Friday. It would be a real shame if someone bought a dozen cans of sardines, opened them up and then strategically placed individual sardines in every nook and cranny of her office. I can only imagine how bad that would smell.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I agree. I fear for my children. My parents were always told me there was going to be a day when baby bird gets pushed out of the nest. Lucky for me, I learned to fly early.
I know I am going to be the same with my kids. I just wonder how I will deal with the looks and comments from others.

Trust me: it's easy to deal with the looks and comments of others when you mentally fast-forward about 15-20 years and realize that your son/daughter has been better-prepared for the vagaries of life and will stand on his/her own two feet. The uphill battle comes in separating your child from his/her peers in what they get away with (e.g. But Johnny has a laptop/stays up until midnight/eats fried twinkies/doesn't do chores). That's where you must be strong, brother.

Truth, I have publicly embarrassed my son (well...um) and his friends and a few well-meaning adults when I've said, probably louder than I should, that I Don't Care What Other People Do You Are My Son - Not Theirs, and I Make The Rules - Not Them, and Just Because You Got A Very Nice Adult To Tell You It's Okay That Doesn't Override My Judgement.

Wait, she's telling everyone else to work but she's taking the day off? Is she for real?
Damn, I'd hate to see what happens to her office when she's out enjoying the post-Thanksgiving hangover on Friday. It would be a real shame if someone bought a dozen cans of sardines, opened them up and then strategically placed individual sardines in every nook and cranny of her office. I can only imagine how bad that would smell.

But, she's entitled to her day off.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This woman is ******* doomed if all you're saying is true. No way she'll last. Taking away vacation in the age of employment mobility is the number one way to lose good people. What a dumbass and, as reflected in the above posted generational misanthropy from a Millenial like myself (born in 84), how predictable and depressing. :fu:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Occasioninally it is a lack of understanding, too many times it is a lack of effort-- misspelled words, defined terms being misused, and poor argument structure.

This made me laugh.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I have trouble with the whole "those darn millennials" thing. I am constantly meeting really impressive young people who have started their own businesses and non-profits, and none of them seem especially entitled. As thomas already pointed out, it really comes down to the parenting, and there are bad parents in every generation.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have trouble with the whole "those darn millennials" thing. I am constantly meeting really impressive young people who have started their own businesses and non-profits, and none of them seem especially entitled. As thomas already pointed out, it really comes down to the parenting, and there are bad parents in every generation.
+1.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, you're mom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads