1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Employees: Please be advised that the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend has been cancelled.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zarathustra, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

The top X% of millennials are a very well educated, enterprising, and promising bunch. The problem is the greater mass of lazy, vapid consumers who entertain delusions of usefulness and cultivation.

What I will say is that millenials maintain a skepticism regarding modern work culture. Many of us have seen relatives put in 60+ hours per week in white collar industries at the expense of any semblance of a work-life balance, then have their careers ruined by a recession (which can occur with alarming rapidity and frequency). What comes of this skepticism (if anything) remains to be seen.

Your director is another footnote in the shameful history of patronage hiring. I wonder how many better qualified recent grads will be unemployed this Christmas...

2. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Many people did not show due to family commitments or were just too lazy to come in. Given the late notice, no enforcement actions were really taken, except against her. Ironically, she became ill (or just couldn't get her work done for finals) and was "sick." Turns out the day she blew off for x-giving, became one day unpaid due to her "sick days" and she is going to have to take other unpaid days due to "prior engagements." She doesn't understand why people are not happy with the extra unpaid days and why simply going unpaid doesn't make the absences ok...

More to come I am sure.....

3. zarathustra

As per the bolded portion, my qualm is that many want the benefits of working hard but by hardly working. You don't want to put in 70 hours this week-- that is ok. You don't want to ever work late on a Friday or on the weekend; unacceptable but can understand the position. You just don't want to move up in the ranks... that is ok. Just don't expect to get compensated in the same manner I do or have the respect I get from colleagues and clients --- ever. But when you whine about how important you are and that your salary should reflect your importance here, my first reaction is to send you to the unemployment line.

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

To be fair, upward mobility is a lot harder nowadays - people are hanging onto their senior positions for longer, companies lay off at the drop of the hat. There is no loyalty either way, and salaries haven't really risen to reflect the uncertainty. If I was a millennial, I would be rightfully skeptical of putting in that time when the chance for advancement and reward is just so much lower.

5. ama

ama Senior member

I agree with this to some extent, however, I don't think its an entirely accurate. My point of contention is that there is value is learning to work hard and producing quality output. There is no value, or even negative value in slovenly behavior. Healthy skepticism is ok, but once it turns you into deadweight you become expendable.

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I may have to work Christmas Eve and day after Christmas at my new job. How dare they! That would be unheard of in my current do-nothing political gig. Last year I took off several weeks in December.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  7. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

On the other hand, that quality output can designate someone as "too valuable" to promote out of a position. Combine that with boomers hanging onto senior positions with a death grip, stagnating pay, an employer's market for hiring, and patronage hiring/promotions, and you've got a recipe for apathy.

1 person likes this.
  8. ama

ama Senior member

I have a hard time believing that an abundance of quality output is one of the challenges the young workforce that this country faces. Hard work and quality output are rewarded far more often than not. I simply don't think the quality output is there.

I believe your second point is true. The market conditions of 2008 - 2009 changed a lot of people's retirement plans.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  9. zarathustra

Based upon that logic, someone should never work too hard, until they get a job with a clear path to upward mobility. Don't you think that the failure to work hard in the past will hamper those opportunities?

10. zarathustra

Ditto for my comment above.

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

That is pretty much what the boomers had, right? Work hard, stay the course and you will make it. There has to be some level of engagement from both sides, nobody is going to bust ass without some sense of future advancement and real appreciation.

12. why

why Senior member

More like graduate from high school, work in the local industry with your friends or family, punch out at 5, drinks at 7, and demand your pension at 50.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  13. zarathustra

Doesn't sound so bad right now...

1 person likes this.
  14. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

First: I am attempting to explain the existence of an attitude among my generation, not act as an apologist for apathy. (I feel that this is a necessary remark to make)

It goes without saying that staying with a company for 30 years is effectively a dead paradigm. Why produce exceptional work when adequate to good enough will do, and one can jump ship for another firm looking for someone with 3-5 years experience? On the other hand, there are a number of people (that I know personally) who do not fit into the prior statement, but they were generally hired by top firms (Goldman Sachs, McKinsey). Of course that cycles back to my original comment on millennials: the top performers are truly exceptional.

15. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

FTFY

16. why

why Senior member

Well, that was implied. :sly: Seems like at least one person missed it, though.