• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dear Employees: Please be advised that the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend has been cancelled.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may have to work Christmas Eve and day after Christmas at my new job. How dare they! That would be unheard of in my current do-nothing political gig. Last year I took off several weeks in December.

Last edited:

Amelorn

Reaction score

I agree with this to some extent, however, I don't think its an entirely accurate. My point of contention is that there is value is learning to work hard and producing quality output. There is no value, or even negative value in slovenly behavior. Healthy skepticism is ok, but once it turns you into deadweight you become expendable.

On the other hand, that quality output can designate someone as "too valuable" to promote out of a position. Combine that with boomers hanging onto senior positions with a death grip, stagnating pay, an employer's market for hiring, and patronage hiring/promotions, and you've got a recipe for apathy.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the other hand, that quality output can designate someone as "too valuable" to promote out of a position. Combine that with boomers hanging onto senior positions with a death grip, stagnating pay, an employer's market for hiring, and patronage hiring/promotions, and you've got a recipe for apathy.

I have a hard time believing that an abundance of quality output is one of the challenges the young workforce that this country faces. Hard work and quality output are rewarded far more often than not. I simply don't think the quality output is there.

I believe your second point is true. The market conditions of 2008 - 2009 changed a lot of people's retirement plans.

Last edited:

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair, upward mobility is a lot harder nowadays - people are hanging onto their senior positions for longer, companies lay off at the drop of the hat. There is no loyalty either way, and salaries haven't really risen to reflect the uncertainty. If I was a millennial, I would be rightfully skeptical of putting in that time when the chance for advancement and reward is just so much lower.

Based upon that logic, someone should never work too hard, until they get a job with a clear path to upward mobility. Don't you think that the failure to work hard in the past will hamper those opportunities?

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ditto for my comment above.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based upon that logic, someone should never work too hard, until they get a job with a clear path to upward mobility. Don't you think that the failure to work hard in the past will hamper those opportunities?

That is pretty much what the boomers had, right? Work hard, stay the course and you will make it. There has to be some level of engagement from both sides, nobody is going to bust ass without some sense of future advancement and real appreciation.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is pretty much what the boomers had, right? Work hard, stay the course and you will make it.

More like graduate from high school, work in the local industry with your friends or family, punch out at 5, drinks at 7, and demand your pension at 50.

Last edited:

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More like graduate from high school, work in the local industry with your friends or family, punch out at 5, drinks at 7, and demand your pension at 50.

Doesn't sound so bad right now...

Amelorn

Reaction score

First: I am attempting to explain the existence of an attitude among my generation, not act as an apologist for apathy. (I feel that this is a necessary remark to make)

It goes without saying that staying with a company for 30 years is effectively a dead paradigm. Why produce exceptional work when adequate to good enough will do, and one can jump ship for another firm looking for someone with 3-5 years experience? On the other hand, there are a number of people (that I know personally) who do not fit into the prior statement, but they were generally hired by top firms (Goldman Sachs, McKinsey). Of course that cycles back to my original comment on millennials: the top performers are truly exceptional.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

More like graduate from high school, work in the local industry with your friends or family, punch out at 5, drinks at 7, demand your pension at 50, and bankrupt your grandkids.

FTFY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads