• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Reeves Flickr Photo stream

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agjiffy
Certainly. However, I would be surprised if that doctor were of the quality of an office consisting of 8 doctors with an average of 20 years' experience each.

I don't mean to in any way imply that you and Rory aren't qualified or highly competent.

A

I still prefer a tailor making a mistake on a sleeve than a surgeon during an operation...
laugh.gif

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly. However, I would be surprised if that doctor were of the quality of an office consisting of 8 doctors with an average of 20 years' experience each.

I don't mean to in any way imply that you and Rory aren't qualified or highly competent.

A

But realistically I don't think there's another 7 tailors in the U.S.A of the same calibre. It's a very different thing we are talking about though. Firms like that make a lot of suits and they have so many tailors because each one specializes. We don't do this we have one tailor doing everything. The drawback is output. Flat out we can do one suit a week. The benefit to that for the client though is we take more care, our clients are that more precious. To put in context when I was working for a large firm on the row I would maybe deal with three bespoke clients and fittings a day.

We are looking to increase output by training and recruiting and you know in another ten years we may have an organization like what you are talking about but what I like about America is it's support for entrepreneurs and the emphasis on what you can do now not yesterday which I think are good things.

Your quite welcome to visit our shop and take a look at what we do or you could place a commission until you do I don't think you can judge the service or the end product, your just guessing.

G

Griffindork

Originally Posted by David Reeves
Your quite welcome to visit our shop and take a look at what we do or you could place a commission until you do I don't think you can judge the service or the end product, your just guessing.

Not quite. You made 3 suits for me when you were at Duncan Quinn. That may be somewhat different than what you do now (although the custom piece of your current business sounds the same), but I think I have a decent sense of what you do.

That being said, I admit that I'm not in a position to judge whether you in fact compete with the best makers in the world (whomever they may be) as there are undoubtedly many that I've not tried. I read your blog and it struck me as a bold claim, but I have no doubt that you are being genuine in your belief. The better the quality of tailor in NY, the happier I am.

A

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite. You made 3 suits for me when you were at Duncan Quinn. That may be somewhat different than what you do now (although the custom piece of your current business sounds the same), but I think I have a decent sense of what you do.

That being said, I admit that I'm not in a position to judge whether you in fact compete with the best makers in the world (whomever they may be) as there are undoubtedly many that I've not tried. I read your blog and it struck me as a bold claim, but I have no doubt that you are being genuine in your belief. The better the quality of tailor in NY, the happier I am.

A

Still going to DQ?

G

Griffindork

Originally Posted by David Reeves
Still going to DQ?

No, not any more. From DQ to Kilgour (which was a disaster) and finally to Huntsman (with whom I've so far been incredibly satisfied).
A

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not any more. From DQ to Kilgour (which was a disaster) and finally to Huntsman (with whom I've so far been incredibly satisfied).
A

If I had to choose another maker it would be Richard Anderson then Huntsman I think.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
i believe Lord willy's uses a factory on ninth ave in the 40's
AND Against nature is using Greenfield. I have not been in against nature in some time.
It is usually closed when i am going to the bowery ballroom. the clothing that was in there when they first opened was awful!

David: two blocks from Greenfield. the last time I was out to Greenfield was some 15-20 years ago.
All I can remember from then were empty chain linked lots with barking dogs!! I guess things have changed!

I think you made some enemies with that post Carl!

On another note. Bowery ball room?! Are you some kinda Fuckin Rocka?!

How you settling into the new place?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads