• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark brown 'dress' chino

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I'm looking for a dark brown 'dress chino' or trouser, ideally in wool but could live with cotton twill, and am finding it surprisingly tricky. The shade has a rather 70s vibe and clearly isn't fashionable, but i think it's a versatile piece.
Rubato do one, but it's a little wide in the leg for me, plus a little pricey with import costs.
Might anyone else know of an alternative?
Many thanks indeed!
(Photos are from Rubato and Simon Crompton's Permanent Style)
Screenshot_20240102_101433_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240102_101559_Chrome.jpg

CottonTownBoy

Reaction score
I would try Spencers Trousers in the UK.
www.spencers-trousers.com
All the info is on there but I must add that do have hundreds of small rolls available, so if the shade/colour/fabric is not shown to your liking, contact them, show them the image and there is a good chance they will have something to match or close to. If you join their mailing list, they do sent out swatches and special offers throughout the year.
They are MTM and the quality is fantastic, using local fabric manufacturers like Brisbane Moss.
I have a three year pair of blue cotton chino that are bulletproof and a joy to wear.
Typically allow 4-6 weeks plus shipping.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
If you know your measurements, Luxire-produced trousers using brisbane moss fabric is good though only a bit cheaper than the Rubato trousers. I like their shakespeare and much heavier Keats fabrics, though from personal experience I'd definitely go with a longer inseam on the keats to account for shrinkage. Have yet to wash my shakespeare pair.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddball choice, but my favorite dark brown casual pants are a pair of Sunspel dark brown merino wool drawstring trousers. They're cut closer to chinos than joggers or dress pants, and have a casual drawstring instead of belt loops or elastic.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I'm looking for a dark brown 'dress chino' or trouser, ideally in wool but could live with cotton twill, and am finding it surprisingly tricky. The shade has a rather 70s vibe and clearly isn't fashionable, but i think it's a versatile piece.
Rubato do one, but it's a little wide in the leg for me, plus a little pricey with import costs.
Many thanks indeed!
View attachment 2102057
View attachment 2102055
Greetings all,
Many thanks indeed!
View attachment 2102057
View attachment 2102055

When I was looking for same I searched several retailers and found some I liked.
NM has a good selection, E.G., https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/brio...childItemId=NMNB3A5_&msid=4576023&position=23

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads