• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

damn UPS

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think the higher pay is compensation for having to wear silly brown shorts in public

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Basically the only thing that matters is this. It doesn't take much skill to drive a brown truck. I've driven u-hauls that size for moves... An 18 wheeler loaded with hazardous chemicals? Ya, pay lots of money. A UPS truck? You could find thousands of people in any city that would be qualified and willing to do the job for half of that.
plain.gif

The job has plenty of overtime except in financial/ business areas.

Reaction score
I don't get the complaint, your package was delivered, what you wanted to chit chat with the dude and sigh his clip board? Should the mail man also stop and talk with every delivery... I don't want to talk to the guy, ring my bell letting me know my package is there and beat it.
bigstar[1].gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the complaint was that the package wasn't delivered with a "we'll come back tomorrow" note instead.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS is the only delivery company in my area that ignores "signature required" requests! Usually I hear a loud "crash" at the front door when they throw/drop package. Shortly thereafter you hear their loud truck speeding away.

I was curious about this behavior, so while at my local UPS depot I asked them about it. They told me drivers are allowed to make their own judgment call if a neighborhood is safe enough to leave packages at the front door. By contrast, FedEx and USPS have a set of rules which (in my experience) their drivers actually follow.

I used to hate UPS. But last time we had a lot of snow none of the delivery companies were able to make it into our neighborhood due to steep hills. The other delivery companies just delayed all our deliveries for a week until they could drive down the hill. But the UPS guy actually parked at the top of the hill everyday and carried everything down on foot.

I believe UPS is likely a lot more efficiently run company than the others. For example, the UPS guy always seems like he's in a hurry while the USPS people behave like they have all the time in world. Frequently the USPS truck will sit outside of my house for 10 minutes before even bringing an Express Mail package to the door. Then the driver will go back to the truck/jeep and sit there for another 5 or more minutes before leaving. UPS would never waste so much time for a single delivery!

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba
glad to find this thread so I can vent about how much I hate UPS. I bought a shirt off someone a while ago and they shipped UPS. I paid $40 for the shirt. When the shirt arrived, the driver told me I'd have to pay $60 in brokerage fees to get the item. I stood there in shock and told him there must be a mistake. His face lit up like a kid walking downstairs to a shiny new red bike on christmas morning. He told me that there was nothing I could do and that I would have to pay. ******* asshole. I told him there's no way this is happening. I talked to the seller and he faxed UPS a correct invoice with a value of $5. UPS then told me I'd still have to pay $10, so I went to the depot to pick it up and was told that the amount owed was already paid, so I went home happily with my shirt. I got a bill from a collections agency a month later for the $10. Didn't pay ****, and I refuse to do business with anyone who uses UPS. the bastards can go to hell and I hope they get hit by USPS delivery drivers on the way there.
Dude, in US you would have paid dearly for that collection agency record for 7 years (paid or unpaid, doesn't matter). Here a bill sent to a collection agency hurts your credit almost as bad as a bankruptcy.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Dude, in US you would have paid dearly for that collection agency record for 7 years (paid or unpaid, doesn't matter). Here a bill sent to a collection agency hurts your credit almost as bad as a bankruptcy.

Another reason UPS sucks. I was given the package and told I didn't have to pay anything when I went to pick it up!!

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always find UPS deliverers to be the kindest, coolest, respectful company reps around.

Of course, everytime I see them they're making me pay $60 brokerage fees on a $100 item.

Suffice it to say, they are always really nice when robbing me blind.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba
Another reason UPS sucks. I was given the package and told I didn't have to pay anything when I went to pick it up!!

I agree, that is BS to the extreme...

mondayc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Usually I hear a loud "crash" at the front door when they throw/drop package.
I live in an old neighborhood of houses where it's common to have about 6-7 steps up to a front porch and catch the UPS man literally standing on the walkway and throwing the package up the steps so it slides down my porch. No signature required, no friendly knocks, just toss it and go. My town is safe enough where stolen packages are incredibly rare, but I still don't like my stuff tossed around.

USPS all the way. They normally get stuff to my house faster anyways. Last Thursday I ordered a book from Los Angeles vis USPS and a bike light from Colorado via UPS. I'm still waiting on the bike lights, but the book is very good. Hopefully the lights aren't broken when they get here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads