• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Wooden Chest for my Saphir Products

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
First picture: shows foot arch under the chest which makes carrying the chest easier.

Second picture: Brandon suggested a new door pool for the drawer. I like the artisan look of it so we are going with it.

Attachments

• 20200130_210617.jpg
    20200130_210617.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200206_153546.jpg
    20200206_153546.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 67

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Link please?

They don't make the model anymore. I bought one in 2014 when it was $350 or so. They also had a factory seconds warehouse sale where you could get them for something like $250. At some point, the price jumped up to $850. I remember thinking that was crazy. Here's the original 2014 post:

The model was called the 12 Repair Kit and it was discontinued some time ago. They also had a subline called Gerstner International, which was made abroad from a different type of wood. It's cheaper, but also less sturdy. At the same time, you're also using this to hold shoe care supplies. The GI model was called the 515 Utility Carrying Case. I believe that may have also been discontinued.

I contacted them back in 2014 about getting a bespoke case. I vaguely remember them quoting me something like $3,000. I can't imagine what the price is like now.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't make the model anymore. I bought one in 2014 when it was $350 or so. They also had a factory seconds warehouse sale where you could get them for something like $250. At some point, the price jumped up to $850. I remember thinking that was crazy. Here's the original 2014 post:

The model was called the 12 Repair Kit and it was discontinued some time ago. They also had a subline called Gerstner International, which was made abroad from a different type of wood. It's cheaper, but also less sturdy. At the same time, you're also using this to hold shoe care supplies. The GI model was called the 515 Utility Carrying Case. I believe that may have also been discontinued. My understanding is that the Repair Kit and GI 515 are made for machinists and hobbyists. The gun cases have a different interior.

I contacted them back in 2014 about getting a bespoke case. I vaguely remember them quoting me something like $3,000. I can't imagine what the price is like now.

I wrote a post about them here, for what it's worth.

Great info, Derek. Ours is from the higher quality line, correct? Please say yes. Please say yes.

Reaction score
Some great photos came in from Brandon showing an almost completed product. We are going to add a small brushed nickel knob on the drawer. And we are going to bevel the middle sides of the lid to make lifting up a little easier.
Congrats, that is going to be a beautiful piece! I love the curly maple. It's a wood I've been wanting to use on my own projects for a long time.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The finished product arrived today and I am gobsmacked at the quality of it. All solid wood. Very heavy and very large. Perfectly accommodates the Saphir line.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 41
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 36
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 102

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads