• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience getting a cuban heel changed out to a lowered block heel?

I have both style heels on White's boots and have come to prefer the block. I'd like to get my cuban pairs changed out, and Baker's said they could do it (the price seems reasonable). But now as I look at the cuban heels, I notice the curve begins right up at the leather welt, and it's hard to visualize how the'll be able to change it to a block without doing an entire re-sole.

Anyone?

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not had a cuban to block heel conversion, but have had a block to Vibram 2021 conversion. Here, as I imagine with yours, needed the whole bottom to be stripped off, and the mid sole and welt to be replaced too. Not impossible by a qualified repairer, but remember the quality of leathers used will be reflected in the price too. I'm assuming its $200+?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it seems like they would need to replace everything. I agree it would be pricey, in the ballpark of your estimate.

I think there was some miscommunication between myself and Baker boots. I called them without the boots in front of me, explained what I had (cubans) and what I wanted done (convert to lower blocks). The quote I received was $40 for the work and like $20 for return shipping. They clearly thought they could just pop the old heel off and plunk a new one on (which was what I thought at the time). Later, when I was actually looking at the construction of the boots and how the cuban was shaped, it became clear that it wouldn't be that simple.

I just need to contact Baker's again and clarify before I start sending boots to them.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't imagine that working. The cuban heel curve goes up through the midsole as well, so just popping the heel off and putting on a block heel you'd still have the curved portion above. Sounds like a whole resoling necessary.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Isn't the heel curve ground in by a large belt sander? I would think you could take a block heel and literally just sand in the curve. Perhaps a new a heel cap would be in order but an entire resole/rebuild seems overkill.

Here is the legendary Brian the Bootmaker resoling a pair of White's. FFWD to 2:50 to demonstrate my thoughts on this:

TH3515

Reaction score
Yeah. Double stitch with big shoes will just make them look even bigger :cool2:
I know. Wearing Double stitch + Swing last + captoe + size 13 today (but in a B width, not an EE

1E2CCCB1-0F80-4810-95A6-8BC95B099635.jpeg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it seems i'm out of luck with my cuban heeled pairs. I'm just not into that heel shape any more. Rather than paying hundreds to re-sole I'll likely sell them off and use the funds to start over. On the upside, I love my lowered block pair so much I hate to take them off my feet.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to White's for the arch ease as well. I have a high arch and they're by far the most comfortable, best fitting boots I own. My feet love to be in them.

As for the cubans, I gave them a good healthy shot. I often like them on other people but they don't fit with my personal style. In the end, I have to admit I don't dig them. They don't look right with the clothes I wear or cuts I like.

I stayed away from block heel for quite some time, figuring if I'm not going to go cuban then why do White's. My most recent pair of SD's have the lowered block, though, and I like them so much I'm surprised it took me so long to find them. It does not alter my gate or disrupt my angle of strike or any of the other experiences that some have had. They look better on me and feel more versatile. I'm surprised it took me so long to try them. I'm not going back.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads