• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TH3515

Reaction score
Here is the legendary Brian the Bootmaker resoling a pair of White's. FFWD to 2:50 to demonstrate my thoughts on this:

Apart from the fact that the pair in the video was far from needing a resole in the first place – isn't Brian turning it into a different kind of boot altogether? While the result looks great (like all of Brian's work), it now has a different last, GYW (I think) instead of stitchdown construction and a metal shank instead of White's ArchEase leather shank.

Not really a resoled White's – more like a Role Club boot built with White's uppers:)

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Indeed, that seemed like a really silly resole to me. I've seen some of his videos where people had perfectly decent soles and got them switched out to something totally different, which is fine of course, but he switched out a thick leather midsole, stacked leather cuban heel, and chunky rubber half sole and heel cap for....the exact same thing? The only real changes were that it's maybe just a bit taller, the worn-ish heel cap got replaced, the beautiful rolled welt switched to GYW, and the arch ease was replaced with an inferior metal shank. Oh well, not my money.

barbellhacks

Reaction score
DSCF5640-2.jpg
I think it depends on the angle. I found White's barrie looks sleeker on the side while 2030 looks sleeker from the top.

I agree with this. I find the side and front-quarter profiles of the MPs incredibly striking. Moreso in person. Photos don't really do it justice.

Last edited:

Phalanx

Reaction score
Update: Unfortunately, my boots are too wide to accommodate a Vibram 430 sole, so I opted for the Vibram composition half sole. I wanted some of that leather exposed anyway.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Hah! That's funny. I really like the look of the half comp though. It has a nice profile from the side and I like the way the stitching shows through it.

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
Role Club has been discussed and video links posted recently on this thread.

I agreed with the awesomeness stitch down, and I have a small pile of stitchdown.

Though, hand lasted & hand gyw have spot also.

There is a new SF thread for Role Club. “Role Club Thread”

Netvine

Reaction score
What is the proper method to clean the inside of unlined oil-tan boots? It involves baking soda right?
Thanks in advance.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the proper method to clean the inside of unlined oil-tan boots? It involves baking soda right?
Thanks in advance.
This is from N***'*, but it is the same process recommended by my cobbler, which I have used for years with no ill effect.

To clean the inside of your boots, mix a heaping tablespoon of baking soda into approximately 12 ounces of water. Slosh the mixture around inside the boot, making sure to wet all inside surfaces and then pour the mixture into the other boot and do the same, then dump it out, don’t let it set. Allow the boot to completely dry as the drying action will leach the acids, caused from sweat, out of your boots. This process should eliminate any musty smells that may have developed over time.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard that before but good to know.

So far cedar trees have done the trick to keep things agreeable inside my boots. Sneakers are another story.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Can someone provide me with the correct terminology for accurate ordering.

I assume this is a 700 composition half sole with a single midsole?

I like the thickness of the leather between the boot and the rubber sole and want to make sure I order the correct thing.

Thanks...

BB431953-2F7D-48A7-9645-F61195DB9D40.jpeg

B48AF3C7-977A-4FAA-A283-99EA7BB9FF67.jpeg

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So @hoppy_IPA , basically any half-sole will consist of one midsole, and one outsole, with rubber or composition sole attached. Do I understand that correctly?

So, I am not sure this is right. I can't remember the names or sole numbers, but I think this is not just the half sole attached to a midsole. Rather pretty sure this is what White's is using now to replace the older Vibram "half" sole that came with an attached layer of leather, but which was too soft and marked up floors. Sorry I can't be more specific - I used to know all the soles names and numbers but that escapes me now. Anyway, notice that the rubber half sole is dovetailed into the leather, unlike a straight half sole, giving you basically a double midsole. Someone here will know what White's calls this...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads