• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicken1616

Reaction score
If you don't mind the darkening effect [which on brown oil should not be much], my experience is that Obenauf's LP will break-in any leather. Especially if you already have good experience with distressed.
The darkening effect will depend on how much you use over a period of time. I posted pictures of these rebuilds I had done a few months ago. The uppers and the new lowers are both brown oil. Brown can end up looking almost black, depending.

Last edited:

Royteane

Reaction score

The darkening effect will depend on how much you use over a period of time. I posted pictures of these rebuilds I had done a few months ago. The uppers and the new lowers are both brown oil. Brown can end up looking almost black, depending.
I can confirm this color changed. My work SJ brown oil tan also looked like this.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Admittedly, this is after cleaning every two-three weeks, and very liberally reapplying Obenauf's, over two years. Interestingly enough, the Obenauf's repels oil very well. These originally had a met guard, and the oil would just roll right off the guard.

gte872h

Reaction score
First wear for my 7 in brown oil tan bounty hunters(farmer/ranchers) on semi dress last, double leather sole.

gte872h

Reaction score

Similar how? Brown oil tan/double leather?

I highly recommend sending in your measurements through Kyle at Bakers. It's kind of a pain to deal with the measurements, but great to get your size dialed in with all the years of experience they have. Wish I would have done this a couple of years earlier.

petersim

Reaction score
I can confirm this color changed. My work SJ brown oil tan also looked like this.

motojobobo

Reaction score
Striking color difference between the new and old/LP'd brown oil tan on chicken's boots. I'd personally prefer mine didn't darken so much, which is why I was curious about whether I could expect similar break-in experience as with my.current distressed smooth. With these, I've managed to keep them from turning a dark brown so far.
I have a preference for lighter colors with the expectation that they won't be as hot as a darker pair in my sunny and hot environment.
Thanks for the comments. I'll probably take a chance at a makeup on brown oil tan and see how long I can keep them with their beautiful original color

chicken1616

Reaction score
Striking color difference between the new and old/LP'd brown oil tan on chicken's boots. I'd personally prefer mine didn't darken so much, which is why I was curious about whether I could expect similar break-in experience as with my.current distressed smooth. With these, I've managed to keep them from turning a dark brown so far.
I have a preference for lighter colors with the expectation that they won't be as hot as a darker pair in my sunny and hot environment.
Thanks for the comments. I'll probably take a chance at a makeup on brown oil tan and see how long I can keep them with their beautiful original color
I would look into Red Dog Smooth. It doesn't darken up as much, and it really is a nice medium brownish red(more brown than red). I think it is a much overlooked color. BTW, the false tongue on the right is Brown oil, so it is a good comparison. For that matter, the false tongue on the left is new Red Dog, while the toe Red Dog has been Obenauf'd quite a bit. As you can see, not a lot of change.

Last edited:

ladwalker

Reaction score

Similar how? Brown oil tan/double leather?

I highly recommend sending in your measurements through Kyle at Bakers. It's kind of a pain to deal with the measurements, but great to get your size dialed in with all the years of experience they have. Wish I would have done this a couple of years earlier.

Bounty Hunter in Brown Oil Tan. Probably will do mini vibram sole though. I want a work boot.

I agree with you on sending in the tracings and getting the size right. Bought some Brown Dress SDs last year and Kyle at Baker's got the sizing perfect. I love my boots.

gte872h

Reaction score

Bounty Hunter in Brown Oil Tan. Probably will do mini vibram sole though. I want a work boot.

I agree with you on sending in the tracings and getting the size right. Bought some Brown Dress SDs last year and Kyle at Baker's got the sizing perfect. I love my boots.

Nice. The Vibram 430 is a good versatile option.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would look into Red Dog Smooth. It doesn't darken up as much, and it really is a nice medium brownish red(more brown than red). I think it is a much overlooked color. BTW, the false tongue on the right is Brown oil, so it is a good comparison. For that matter, the false tongue on the left is new Red Dog, while the toe Red Dog has been Obenauf'd quite a bit. As you can see, not a lot of change.
What are the respective lasts on these? (Sorry if I missed that..)

chicken1616

Reaction score
The one's on the left are Drew's Buckaroo Packer's, which are essentially Hathorns, so I think they are probably 55's. The right ones are Smoke Jumpers in a #38 Swing. The Packer' s are 14EE's, the Smoke's are 14B.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one's on the left are Drew's Buckaroo Packer's, which are essentially Hathorns, so I think they are probably 55's. The right ones are Smoke Jumpers in a #38 Swing. The Packer' s are 14EE's, the Smoke's are 14B.

Those swing lasts look nice...

chicken1616

Reaction score
Aesthetically, I think the Swing has a little of an "Earth Shoe" or Birkenstock look to them. I think this would probably be mitigated by getting the close trim. That said, the Swing fits my foot better than other lasts.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketheduke