• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that`s how I got my sd`s to look great. constant brushing whenever I am bored. Also Kyle at Baker has a lot of those thin vibrams I had installed if you guys need them.

GurrCentral

Reaction score
Im getting the dress brown leather from White's...sorry if I sound like a newby, but brushing? ive had smokejumpers for around ten years fighting fires, and have the obenouf's thing down, but am new to brushing. could you please fill a new to sd's guy in? thank you all for the responses!

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol man just brushing with a horsehair brush til your arms give out :D That`s what I do for mine. Trees in whenever they`re not worn and brushed daily.

fuzzyearlobes

Reaction score
if you brushed your boots while fighting fires, it would probably extend the life of the boot. Brushing removes all that bullshit that cakes on the leather. If there is ash or dirt on the leather, and you put Obenaufs on over all of it, the dirt and ash acts as an abrasive.

GurrCentral

Reaction score
OK, i gotcha now...ive always brushed the dirt/mud/ash off my boots before ive oiled or greased them, just didnt think that sd's would get dirty enough for the need to brush...

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all have heard or seen cracks in leather boots - those are either caused by drying out or by small dust particles getting into the creases and acting like sandpaper. Thats why just a brush after use is a very good idea. A moisture coating (conditioner) an even better one. Brush often, condition every so often...

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess Kyle must've been busy.
maybe, some1 else can buzz in regarding 461 sizing :)

.... oh, btw, any idea how much Baker's or White's charge for re-sizing?

@Kyle__ how do i size on the Classic 461?
is it closer to the SD or SJ?
... the reason i asked cuz [from experience] the SD last seemed to run 1/2 size longer than the SJ

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

from my experience condtioning your boots when they dont need it will make the leather softer and sometimes thehy stretch out and gets old easily

I agree with this. Try putting the same amount on wear on cow/calf/horse leather and chromexcel but the latter would tend to break down faster than the first three. Dunno if it`s just me

fuzzyearlobes

Reaction score
dont buy CXL for a work boot. Buy it for a more casual boot. It will still hold up and is still durable, its just way more supple and pliable.

battmest

Reaction score
what's going on guys?

new to the forum -- I'm SuperFuture -- but glad to finally be on here as well.

been going through this entire white's thread while waiting for mine to arrive; it's been helping but the wait is unbearable!

anyways, this is a fairly obvious question but I couldn't seem to see a definitive answer/example of this anywhere, as it looks like the majority of you guys order through bakers and not directly through white's.

the "standard" composition sole -- what is it? no real information through whites, and i see a lot of vibram 700, half soles, commando soles, etc but nothing really labeled as full composition sole. the more typical build. a lot of you boys are gettin all fancy....

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quite a few urban-dwelling folks around here live quite a sedentary lifestyle for their "builds" ... including me, ie :embar: :)

anyway, my understanding is, "composition" soles simply meant they're not just pure rubber__ the make-up varies depending on utility/purpose & level of performance .... ie, composite half-sole #705 & the #700 are of same material, while "fire & ice" #100 lug [w/c are used in forest fire-fighting] has a higher performance rating__ better grip on icy surface & much greater resistance to heat.

Hi guys, What is the different between Farmer-Rancher and Smoke Jumper?

SmokeJumper = Lug #100, always.
FarmerRancher = not on #100__ the regular stock/prod'n are usually on Vibram #700

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just posted this as a separate thread by accident, when I meant to post here:

Hey, I have just found White's boots (after a decade of wearing my old Chippewa cap toes) and also this forum. I've done some research to figure out some of the many options, but have a quick question. Can anyone post pictures of the "2012 Classic Work Boot" as advertisd on Baker's?

http://www.bakershoe.com/search.cfm/product/2012-classic-dress-boot-by-whites/

I find lots of pictures of the Semi-Dress, but not of this "Classic." And can anyone describe briefly the differences between the two boots?

Finally, here's a dumb newby question probably -- How does one get the alternating black/natural look in the heel? Seems like some soles have the rubber strip running back through the heel (which I like) and others are a block of packed leather of one color (as in the Baker's picture link above).

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads