1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gd1944

gd1944 Active Member

And I also have Vibram 700 Half Sole (Composition Half Sole) + Close Trim:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these 2 pairs are the Natural Chrome Excel Leather with White's Beeswax Preservative Applied. (The Leather is darkened by the Preservative Cream.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Wow...that natural CXL looks fantastic. I always thought natural would be too light but yours look damn near perfect. I'm sure with a bit of wear and subsequent conditioning, they'd darken to a gorgeous patina.

1 person likes this.
  3. hollowsleather

hollowsleather Senior member

While we're on that natural cxl theme...I can't remember if I posted this picture here yet or not, sorry if it's a repeat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. gd1944

gd1944 Active Member

Very beautiful!

5. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Yes, they're just 1/4" lower. Could be my camera angle that makes them look lower. I don't have any wear pics yet because I"ve yet to take them to the Cobbler for a half sole. Got a bit of a backlog of boots to wear...

6. the shivman

the shivman Senior member

Could someone who has SD's tell me about the celastic toe box? How thick and hard is it, and what material does it feel like it is made out of?

7. slide13

slide13 Senior member

celastic is a moldable plastic sheet. It's not terribly thick but once formed is fairly firm but has some give. Most shoes have something like that in the toe box, Red Wing GTs, 1k Miles, Aldens, etc. If you don't get it the toe is completely soft...poke it with your finger and it gives. I've had one pair without, don't think I would order it again for myself but it was comfortable...just felt like a slipper without any structure up front.

8. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

gd1944 thank you sir!

natural is my next makeup mixed with red dog - bounty hunter setup

9. fuzzyearlobes

fuzzyearlobes Senior member

pretty sure the celastic Whites uses is not plastic. Mine feels like leather. could be mistaken though.

10. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Celastic is plastic...google it, it's a name for a specific type of material.

11. fuzzyearlobes

fuzzyearlobes Senior member

I know its plastic, but I didnt think White's boots use plastic for their reinforced toebox (all leather legend and all that). But now that I inspect mine, its most likely plastic. Its just different than all the other reinforced toe boxes on other boots I have had, where it was obviously plastic.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think they look lower because they don't have a full sole that sits between the midsole and the heel. I wonder if this is what the half-slip is for? To add that height back if you don't have a full sole but want to have the same front to back height difference with a half sole.

Anybody put a half-slip on a pair before? Any thoughts?

13. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Celastic is an impregnated fabric - hence not like a plastic shell.

14. gd1944

gd1944 Active Member

You are welcome! [​IMG]

15. the shivman

Can someone who has had both the SD's and the SJ's talk about the differences between the lasts, and how they fit differently? Also if you have White's thick leather on one could you compare it to their dress leather? thank you

16. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Because one can never have too many pairs of White's... Just got my new "distressed smooth leather" custom SD's in from Baker's. Here's the full config and photos. Click for higher-res:

Leather 1: Distressed Smooth Leather 2: Distressed Smooth Toe Vamp Leather: Distressed Smooth Toe Cap Leather: None Celastic Toe Box: Single Steel Toe: No Upper (Shaft) Leather : Distressed Smooth Leather Liner: No Thanks Back Stay Leather: Distressed Smooth Pull Loop: No Eyelet Color: Antique Sole Trim: Close Trim Eyelet Configuration : Hook and Eyelet Lace: Leather Sole: Leather Half Slip: No Heel Shape: Curve Heel Height: Minus 1/4" Last: Standard Midsole: Standard Midsole/Edge Color: Natural Size - Length: 11 Size - Width: D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. grendel

grendel Senior member

Those are gorgeous, congrats!

18. the shivman

The lowered 1/4 looks so strange to me on these boots, but hey to each his own.

2 people like this.
  19. moonshine

moonshine Member

Me too, but it could just be the angle of the photo. I like the build, and assuming the heel height suits bl@ster all is well. Can you give us some fit pics, bl@ster?

20. MKMKMK

MKMKMK Active Member

Hi, i would like to enquire about whites sd sizing. Currently i am wearing a rw 1907 9D. What size should i get if i want to get a white's sd.