• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here it is.
7990152250_e94616c5a3_c.jpg

Hoping to not give a **** when winter comes and just wipe the salt off since I have been brushing daily after every wear over the summer.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks. Just a standard build with close sole trim. next, I wanna make a distinct , unique pair akin to bl@ster`s burgundy pair or daizawa`s buffalo/dark cherry one

GurrCentral

Reaction score
New to the site, here is one of my 3 pairs of White's. I fight fire in the summers when im not teaching for a rappel crew for the Forest Service. These are rough cut smokejumpers, 10inch. I also have brown rough cuts with honey vibram, and black smokejumpers with honey vibrams. Will be ordering some semi-dress for teaching!! trying to figure out what color i want for the semi-dress!

fuzzyearlobes

Reaction score
I`ve been thinking of the fit ever seen I saw a photo of these shoes a few months back. It seems that the rear heel box is a lot softer than a shoe. That might be the issue. Whist the SD is a solid construction, the shoes feel like they dont have a solid heel support.
no, the heel area is quite sturdy. I just screwed up the measurements. I measure at a C width in the heel area, but ordered a D. Its just too loose for my liking. These are great shoes, but I recommend remeasuring, as the fit of the northwest last is different than the semi dress last. At least that is my experience.

sleepy

Reaction score
Since after 7 years of hard use followed by a year and a half of no use the leather mid-soles (think that's the right term) of my Red Wing boots that I wore for dress and work (blue berry farm work) is disintegrating. Naturally I'm in the market for new boots but more for dress than anything (Marine Corps provides work boots now). Stumbled upon this thread and spend the past few hours reading it and admiring the pics. Pretty much sold on getting a pair of White's. I do have some questions though.

1. Does anyone have pics of what the black otter leather looks like? I googled but it turned up nothing useful
2. Is the otter leather actually otter or is it just a name? (wouldn't affect my decision to buy but I am curious as I've never heard of that before)
3. Are half soles available on the Smoke Jumper or is that something I would have to get a cobbler to do after purchase? (I've seen a couple like that but I see no option on the boot builder)
4. What does a smoke jumper look like with leather soles?
5. As far as rubber soles go what are the ones that they screw on in addition to stitching?
6. Would you go lined or unlined?

edit: forgot to spell check my engrish

Last edited:

GurrCentral

Reaction score
Yeah brown dress. Trees in and brushed daily.
Nice! looks like thier standard brown will go with alot of different things..looks like im going to place an order for them tomarrow, with standard heel, and im still trying to decide on sole...any suggestions? I will be wearing them for teaching..thanks!

GurrCentral

Reaction score
My new White's showed up today and I'm really pleased with them. I sized down 1/2 from a previous pair and was afraid they might not fit but they fit great. My build:

Semi-Dress
British tan leather
cream leather lining
all antique eyelets
Vibram 269 sole
brown edge
standard trim
standard heel
standard last

Love the sole, I wanted the versatility of rubber but liked the sleek look of my old single leather soles. The tapered waist of the 269 sole makes for a perfect compromise. The British tan leather looks even better then I had hoped.

Anyway, on to the pics.

DSC_3436.jpg

DSC_3439.jpg

DSC_3437.jpg

DSC_3438.jpg
Are those soles available throught white's driectly? Do I just say that I would like the vibram 269 sole? thanks! I am going to order the same except in their standard dress brown. Great looking kicks!

GurrCentral

Reaction score
Well, I just ordered some White's semi-dress in thier dress brown leather, original heel, and vibram 269 leather!!!! I hope it is faster than 6-8 weeks...haha!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads