• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. If I do, I’ll hit you up. However, I’m currently sitting at 2 kids and 1 divorce, so financially, I’m not sure a career change is in the cards right now.😄
I hear you bro, I finally got my finances back on track in 2020, after a nasty divorce. Hence the foray into White's boots, watches and cars lol.
Unfortunately I don't have any kids but being firmly in middle age I think that ship has sailed :).
I am enjoying my single, no responsibilities life lol.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
My formal educaional background is actually Electrical Engineering. I actually also have a degree in Politics and History, but that was more out of interest than anything else (benefits of living in a country with free higher education).

It's unbelievable you bring this up!

I'm actually the project lead within my organisation for Industrial Edge computing, which is largely driven by the convergence of IT systems with operational technology systems. Traditionally, industrial control systems, like, say, programmable logic controllers, fell into the OT sphere, and are usually programmed in IEC61131 programming languages like ladder, structured text, FBD, etc.

One of my jobs is actually to manage our transition as our little OT niche merges into the broader IT realm, where traditional PLC's begin to get replaced by software controllers running on embedded Linux systems, and are simply programmed with existing high-level programming languages like C++, Rust and Java. Instead of writing process control logic in industrial automation centric packages like Siemens TIA Portal, increasingly we'll be using tools like Visual Studio and Eclipse. And where we might have traditionally used hardware/software combinations like SCADA servers to create process visualisations, we're now talking about simply deploying Docker based apps on our embedded controllers and simply connecting them to a cloud dashboard running off a SQL backend.

It's all part of a larger push to 'Industry 4.0', which everyone is obsessed with at the moment.

I was literally in a meeting all day yesterday where we kept talking about how much overlap there is between where manufacturing industry is going, and broader software engineering.

And you're absolutely right; there's already a load of crossover, and the two disciplines are going to converge even more in future.
Ah yes, I saw a video about this once:

wordfool

Reaction score
I think everything you've said is valid, but there's only so long the same excuses can be made before you begin to suspect apathy. White's presumably turn a healthy profit, and have a huge multinational parent company. They probably don't care if some people aren't happy with the quality of the product they turn out. That's fine for White's, but it's not necessarily a good reason for affected customers to stick with them, and I don't blame the posters on here who, after multiple problems, are simply saying enough is enough.

As someone who has probably had a higher than average run of QC problems, I think your last point is probably closest to the truth. White's has a corporate Japanese owner and no doubt has revenue and profitability targets to meet so they have to strike a balance between sales volumes and costs, the former perhaps resulting in more models being offered, and the latter being where an appropriate level of QC is going to be determined -- appropriate for the business based on an acceptable level of returns/rebuilds.

They're never going to get perfect QC on every pair, not least because "quality" on a hand-made work boot is so subjective (and we, no doubt, have a higher QC threshold than your average smokejumper or rancher). Instead there's probably some acceptable percentage of returns built in to their budgets and we'll probably never know what it is. We should just be thankful White's (and Baker's) customer service remains so good.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I've seen this before. It's amazing!

If you enjoy that then I strongly recommend watching the Amazon series "Patriot" as it has a number of scenes that do an incredible job of channeling the energy of that video. Also it's just a fantastic show.

Anyone know of any shop selling good laces similar to Guarded Goods but based in the EU? I could do with some new laces but don't want to pay hefty shipping and import duties on some boot laces.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chicagoan2016--

Will you mind posting your new 690/695 Packers for me?

Curious to see them in hand in the flesh.

Cheers,
Yes, I will try to get some pics tomorrow, if not, then definitely over the weekend.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has probably had a higher than average run of QC problems, I think your last point is probably closest to the truth. White's has a corporate Japanese owner and no doubt has revenue and profitability targets to meet so they have to strike a balance between sales volumes and costs, the former perhaps resulting in more models being offered, and the latter being where an appropriate level of QC is going to be determined -- appropriate for the business based on an acceptable level of returns/rebuilds.

They're never going to get perfect QC on every pair, not least because "quality" on a hand-made work boot is so subjective (and we, no doubt, have a higher QC threshold than your average smokejumper or rancher). Instead there's probably some acceptable percentage of returns built in to their budgets and we'll probably never know what it is. We should just be thankful White's (and Baker's) customer service remains so good.
👆👆
These boots are addictive!!!!!!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimk4003 @RockyMountain22

Here are some pics, came to the office for a little while

20220310_120345.jpg

20220310_120332.jpg

20220310_120419.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handsome boots! They appear somewhat familiar ...

Looking forward to seeing your Black Dress version.

Cheers,
Good memory!!! I will post some pics of pointed toe packers , working from home gives little time to wear White's plus I don't want to wear new(ish) boots navigating snow and slush lol.

I think these should look very similar to your standard packers!

Tseg

Reaction score
I ordered me up some Perry boots last Black Friday. I heard all about the QA/QC issues and was really hoping I would not get toe separation or loose stiches. Knock on wood, everything is holding together for now. Occasionally, I'll get a clicking sound with each step in my left boot, but that sound comes and goes, so hopefully it works itself out at some point. For a budget White boot, I'm pretty happy with the result. It will be interesting to compare with the Color 8 shell Alden Indy with commando sole that cost 4X showing up at my door in 2 days.

I really like the rugged good looks of the Perry... they are a 9.5D like my Red Wings and my Barrie last Alden plain toe boots, and this is the snuggest of the bunch, but at just the right amount. They are very comfy, but pretty heavy for what they are. Interesting that it has some speed hooks but proper eyelets for the top hole. I guess they are quicker for on/off than my RW Beckmans with eyelets up to the top, but odd combination. I read a complaint about the laces being low quality, but again, knock on wood, I've had no issues with the laces fraying or getting fuzzy with wear 1-2 times a week for 3+ months.

DSC01300 Perry.jpg

Last edited:

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
I am not going to tell anyone which brand to buy : )
I recently got my orders of pointed-toe packers and standard packers and although it's probably a little early to say but for my weird, high arched feet, I like the 690/695 last better than the legendry bounty hunters.
Those two packer lasts have become my favorites. Really love them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads