• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
This is Vibram 430. I kind of wish there was an option between 430 and 100 in terms of its thickness. It's "hard," it loudly clicks with footfalls on hard indoor floors when compared to the commando half sole I have on my MPs. But it has decent grip and definitely doesn't seem to wear quickly.

I’m with you on wanting an intermediate sole. The 430 is serviceable but not great, gets even harder in cold weather, and TBH I find the grip of the small, shallow lug area to be pretty non-existent at times. Meanwhile I’m leaning to love the 100 sole and pretend it doesn’t look total overkill on my feet.

Are those boots HH or Elk/dress? They look tough but classy. I really should try a 7” boot sometime. I’m stuck in a 6” rut.

Last edited:

iambretton

Reaction score
I’m with you on wanting an intermediate sole. The 430 is serviceable but not great, gets even harder in cold weather, and TBH I find the grip of the small, shallow lug area to be pretty non-existent at times. Meanwhile I’m leaning to love the 100 sole and pretend it doesn’t look total overkill on my feet.

Are those boots HH or Elk/dress? They look tough but classy. I really should try a 7” boot sometime. I’m stuck in a 6” rut.
What about the half-lug commando sole?

wordfool

Reaction score
What about the half-lug commando sole?

That is indeed almost a halfway house (although the lugs are still a bit shallow), and I have it on a few pairs, but it does leave a chunk of the sole leather exposed that makes me worry about long-term durability in certain circumstances (like wet/rocky).

The sole I've always liked the look of is the itshide commando sole once used by Truman (which now appears to use a rip-off version), but I'm not sure it's ever been offered by Baker's/White's

Last edited:

klank74

Reaction score
That is indeed almost a halfway house (although the lugs are still a bit shallow), and I have it on a few pairs, but it does leave a chunk of the sole leather exposed that makes me worry about long-term durability in certain circumstances (like wet/rocky).

The sole I've always liked the look of is the itshide commando sole once used by Truman (which now uses a rip-off version), but I'm not sure it's ever been offered by Baker's/White's
I wish there was something similar to the 430, but softer. Somewhere between the 430 and the honey vibram, but black.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The sole I've always liked the look of is the itshide commando sole once used by Truman (which now appears to use a rip-off version), but I'm not sure it's ever been offered by Baker's/White's
A couple of AE boots that I own(ed) have commando soles by itshide.
On AE boots they were uncomfortable compared to dainite soles but they might work with White's boots since White's have thicker midsoles.

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
Anyone in here wearing the Perry Moc toe? Been curious to take the plunge. I’ve had some RW Mocs, but the fit isn’t great. Would love to hear how the Perry is working out, especially in comparison to other Mocs,

discomute

Reaction score

I love my 7". It's the perfect length. (TWSS)

theofficialhung

Reaction score
My Bounty Hunters are 7". It's a good height for me, low enough for casual wear and high enough to do work in or tramp across a stream.

View attachment 1717921 View attachment 1717922 View attachment 1717923 View attachment 1717924 View attachment 1717925

Everytime I see a properly aged brown dress boot I tell myself I've got to get some brown dress, it's such a timeless leather. I think I'm going to copy this build except with unstructured toe and Vibram 700 sole for the next sale that rolls around.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Anyone in here wearing the Perry Moc toe? Been curious to take the plunge. I’ve had some RW Mocs, but the fit isn’t great. Would love to hear how the Perry is working out, especially in comparison to other Mocs,
The name on the side is the only thing resembling a White’s boot. I’m biased on fit-wide forefoot, skinny heel. The Perry’s are shaped the opposite, I’ve had them for almost a year, not sure I’ve put a full weeks wear in them- every time I put them on, I end up changing into something else. I suspect there are many folks very happy with them, at the end of the day (actually the beginning of the day), they aren’t wide enough in the toe box for me.
I would rather save some more money and get a Rambler or foreman if I wanted a crepe sole.
At the time, I wanted some “now” shoes- patience would have worked better, but my SJs had just broke, and I wanted some boots “now. “

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The name on the side is the only thing resembling a White’s boot. I’m biased on fit-wide forefoot, skinny heel. The Perry’s are shaped the opposite, I’ve had them for almost a year, not sure I’ve put a full weeks wear in them- every time I put them on, I end up changing into something else. I suspect there are many folks very happy with them, at the end of the day (actually the beginning of the day), they aren’t wide enough in the toe box for me.
I would rather save some more money and get a Rambler or foreman if I wanted a crepe sole.
At the time, I wanted some “now” shoes- patience would have worked better, but my SJs had just broke, and I wanted some boots “now. “
I have had the same experience with most moc-toe boots... the only ones that work for me are the Alden Indys... likely because they are built on the Trubalance Last with works for my foot shape.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
The name on the side is the only thing resembling a White’s boot......

.... if I wanted a crepe sole.

First: I absolutely DETEST the crepe sole. You couldn't pay me to wear that death trap POS

2nd: White's is way outta pocket to copy Redwing. At least it's not a split/2 piece vamp. When that seam splits on the Moc Toe (and it damn sure will) it looks like hot garbage

klank74

Reaction score
2nd: White's is way outta pocket to copy Redwing. At least it's not a split/2 piece vamp. When that seam splits on the Moc Toe (and it damn sure will) it looks like hot garbage
Actually, I think the Perry is a two piece deal like the redwings. I think if you keep them cleaned, they would hold up fine.

imwalker

Reaction score

Brown Dress!

Everytime I see a properly aged brown dress boot I tell myself I've got to get some brown dress, it's such a timeless leather. I think I'm going to copy this build except with unstructured toe and Vibram 700 sole for the next sale that rolls around.

When the scuffs first came they really jumped out like big scratches, then over time their edges got softer so that it looks like the lighter brown that shines through looks totally natural to the leather.

Out of curiosity, what is the appeal of the unstructured toe? When I wear my boots I want my feet to feel invincible. Being able to stub my toes doesn't sound like fun...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is the appeal of the unstructured toe? When I wear my boots I want my feet to feel invincible. Being able to stub my toes doesn't sound like fun...
Good question! Even one of my celastic toe boots are collapsing in a way that makes them slightly uncomfortable.

wordfool

Reaction score

I don’t see the appeal either, but I’ve come to accept it’s usually just an aesthetic preference thing. Some folks apparently like their boots to not just fit as comfortably as slippers but also to eventually look like old slippers, too :colgate:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads