• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Just noticed my hooks are starting to pull out on my right boot. These MP HH are only 8 months old. Is this something White's will correct?

I could live with eyes if the hooks can't be fixed. Just got these broken in and want to enjoy them.

Attachments

• MP Hooks.jpg
    MP Hooks.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 145
  • MP Profile 1.jpg
    MP Profile 1.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 158
  • MP Profile 2.jpg
    MP Profile 2.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 176

Netvine

Reaction score
Just noticed my hooks are starting to pull out on my right boot. These MP HH are only 8 months old. Is this something White's will correct?

I could live with eyes if the hooks can't be fixed. Just got these broken in and want to enjoy them.

thats definitely not cool they’ll fix that. Its a function issue.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
That's structural and very odd. The speedhooks on both of my pairs of White's that have them are absolute monsters and I never feel even remotely worried that they'll pop out. I'd definitely contact them about it.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had that happen on a pair of RRL boots and a cobbler installed new hooks. I'm sure White's will take care of you or if you don't want to wait, any cobbler should be able to help.

paulraphael

Reaction score
My Bounty Hunters arrived today and look great. I have a question about how to know for sure if they were built to spec (mostly for future orders).

They were supposed to be 11C, with left one built on the combo last. They're marked 11B on the left, 11C on the right. The receipt in the box just says 11C.

Anyone else order a boot on the combo last? Did you notice different markings?

[Edited to add] Kyle wrote back and said this is normal; that they use the smaller last size for the combo last (maybe they add bulk to the front of the last?) Anyway, they look and feel great.

Thanks everyone for all the info and advice, which was much needed in order to get boots I like this much.

Last edited:

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
When looking on White's website at field boots
Do the pictured stock boots have celastic toes? Just checking as their quality photos help to imagine certain aspects of a build

illiterate

Reaction score
So does White's only accept custom orders via phone? I've been wanting to get a pair of their oxfords but in brown roughout. Similar to these that they made for Nepenthes in Japan a while back.

1596683808660.png

klugtrane

Reaction score
So does White's only accept custom orders via phone? I've been wanting to get a pair of their oxfords but in brown roughout. Similar to these that they made for Nepenthes in Japan a while back.

View attachment 1436767
I ordered mine from Kyle at Baker's via email and a call and got great service as always. A couple of thoughts from my experience... for me these fit larger than a 55 last, and Kyle advised to go up a half size because there is no arch. That wasn't the right call for me. They are also shockingly heavy for a shoe, although mine have a commando sole, which contributes to the weight.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I made a similar post a while ago wanting info about the somewhat similar poleclimber oxford, and Kyle from Baker's replied in this thread telling me to get in touch with him. I've since decided to change that make-up to a boot as I simply wear boots more than shoes, but if I were you I'd talk to Baker's about it.

illiterate

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. I found Baker's website and the same exact model of oxfords is available for custom order. I reached out to their email with a few questions. The Nepenthes collaboration is called Hathorn workboot. Is Hathorn just a subsidiary of White's? I'm not too familiar with the brand. Only difference I've noticed with the two models is one is a stitchdown construction and the other seems to be GYW.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Hey Friends,

Anyone have any ideas for an interesting, yet functional, Engineer boot rebuild?
I'll be ordering some White's Nomads in a few weeks.
I'd like something more interesting than standard black or brown oil tanned.
However, these will be used for motorcycle riding.
And some background: I've been riding in my Bison Semi-Dress for the past 5 or 6 years... also use them as casual and work boots. The shifter has worn through the top layer of leather on my left toe. Not a hole yet, but it's rough over that patch and scaling.

So, whatever I end up with in engineer boots will need to resist this at least for 5 years or so.

Thank you, I look forward to seeing what all of us can come up with.

discomute

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with engineer boots, but why not use a toe cap that can be replaced when the leather is worn?

klank74

Reaction score
Hey Friends,

Anyone have any ideas for an interesting, yet functional, Engineer boot rebuild?
I'll be ordering some White's Nomads in a few weeks.
I'd like something more interesting than standard black or brown oil tanned.
However, these will be used for motorcycle riding.
And some background: I've been riding in my Bison Semi-Dress for the past 5 or 6 years... also use them as casual and work boots. The shifter has worn through the top layer of leather on my left toe. Not a hole yet, but it's rough over that patch and scaling.

So, whatever I end up with in engineer boots will need to resist this at least for 5 years or so.

Thank you, I look forward to seeing what all of us can come up with.
I would talk to Kyle at Bakers or someone at Whites and see if you can get an extra patch of leather sown on the area your shifter makes contact with. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this done on a pair of Wesco’s before.
If that’s not an option, then I would think a rough out leather would hold up better than one of the smooth leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics