• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I think premium leathers are a waste in black (except calfskin). You don't see the depth of character that you do in any of the colours.
I was told by Baker's that Black HH scuffs to brown. In theory ,this should leave a nice patina over time. I don't think I'd wear my boots hard enough to cause said patina though. I'm going to have a longer commute come December though, so who knows.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Me: White's BH in brown dress
Wife: Non-White's
Carmina Brown pebble grain jumpers

20200802_112154.jpg

20200802_112217.jpg

SLAB

Reaction score

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Convince me not to buy SDs in Black HH with a Medallion toe cap, please. thank you.

Total waste of money. Your children will go hungry. Your wife will leave you taking everything including the boots and your dog. Folks will scorn you and your wasteful ways, not to mention you're killing a horse. They are too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. They are hard to break in, and the fit will differ from your calf shoes because the hide is difficult to last. They likely cause cancer, and according to Dr. Fauci you have to wear a mask while wearing them. Save your money and buy some Crocs.

Hope that helps.

benzebub

Reaction score
hello friends, is it possible to get some sizing advice for White's Bounty Hunters?
My feet measure 293mm and 291mm in length. I wear Iron rangers in 10.5D (length is ok, width could be E because foot hangs over welt), Trubalance 11E (fits really really good), Grant stone 11E (fits good, a bit snug but no problems) and Nike sneakers 12.

Brandon from Bakers puts me at a 10 length wise but this looks a bit on the short side?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total waste of money. Your children will go hungry. Your wife will leave you taking everything including the boots and your dog. Folks will scorn you and your wasteful ways, not to mention you're killing a horse. They are too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. They are hard to break in, and the fit will differ from your calf shoes because the hide is difficult to last. They likely cause cancer, and according to Dr. Fauci you have to wear a mask while wearing them. Save your money and buy some Crocs.

Hope that helps.

While that is all true, Crocs also cause cancer. Buy Havaianas instead, they use natural rubber.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Convince me not to buy SDs in Black HH with a Medallion toe cap, please. thank you.
hello friends, is it possible to get some sizing advice for White's Bounty Hunters?
My feet measure 293mm and 291mm in length. I wear Iron rangers in 10.5D (length is ok, width could be E because foot hangs over welt), Trubalance 11E (fits really really good), Grant stone 11E (fits good, a bit snug but no problems) and Nike sneakers 12.

Brandon from Bakers puts me at a 10 length wise but this looks a bit on the short side?
Proceed with caution. Your foot size is between a size 11.5 to 12 (really closer to a 12) on a brannock. White's might run big, but dropping to a size 10 seems off to me. By way of comparison, I'm a 10.5D on a brannock. I've been wearing a 10.5D on the 55 last, but strongly suspect I could wear either a 10D or perhaps a 10E, but I prefer to wear boots with thicker socks and my brannock measurements were taken with thin dress socks. Also, I'm not a fan of wearing tight and uncomfortable boots with the expectation of them stretching out. I like them to fit on day one. Not everyone feels the same.

Last edited:

benzebub

Reaction score
Got a mail back from Kyle (at Baker's) and he suggests 10.5E, which seems more likely to me

Turns31

Reaction score
Holy hell it is possible! After at least 10 different pairs of CXL shoes over the last few years I finally won the CXL lottery. Every panel on both boots is nice, tight creasing. I need to go buy a lottery ticket.
Also I know I just used up all my luck and my color 8 Vibergs I'm getting are going to be the loosest grain known to man.

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_102056.jpg
    IMG_20200803_102056.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20200803_102105.jpg
    IMG_20200803_102105.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20200803_102126.jpg
    IMG_20200803_102126.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 158

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Got a mail back from Kyle (at Baker's) and he suggests 10.5E, which seems more likely to me
Kyle should know. I'm guessing you can fit either a 10.5E or 11E depending on how you like your boots to fit and the socks you wear. Found this posting from Reddit which you might find helpful....

11 Wide

Brannock/Foot Notes:
  • 11 (arch length), just barely an E width
  • High instep
  • Foot shape: Roman
  • Average ankle thickness (I guess?)
  • Right foot is slightly longer, closer to 11.5 arch length
Lasts (NOTE: For some lasts I list my fit info for multiple sizes)
  • Alden Trubalance: 10.5E (Good fit)
    • Length: Good
    • Toe: Good width, snug across the top of my feet
    • Arch: Slightly low
    • Heel: Good, no slip
    • Comments: Good fit all around with a little extra in the toe width.
  • Allen Edmonds 65: 11D (Okay fit)
    • Toe: Narrow
    • Arch: Good
    • Heel: Good
    • Comments: Would prefer an 11E
  • Grant Stone Leo: 10.5D (Poor fit)
    • Length: Slightly short
    • Heel: Good width, but front edge of the heel cup isn't as far forward as I'd like
    • Comments: Very snug up front, would prefer an 11D or maybe 11E.
  • Leather Lately London 11E (Good fit)
    • Toe: Good
    • Heel: Good, no slip
    • Comments: Good fit all around
  • Maine Mountain Moccasin: 12D (Good fit)
    • Toe: Good, but started snug
    • Comments: Good fit all around. Interestingly, I ordered a size 11, the box said 11, but the inside of the mocs say 12.
  • Meermin Elton 10.5UK (Poor fit)
    • Toe: Narrow due to toe box taper
    • Comments: Aggressive toe box taper causes discomfort to my toes. Would prefer 10.5UK Wide
  • Meermin Elton 11UK (Poor fit)
    • Length: Too long, flex point is too far forward
    • Heel: Slightly roomy
    • Comments: Toe box is comfy but length is too long. Would prefer 10.5UK Wide
  • Meermin Nod: 10UK (Poor fit)
    • Length: Short
    • Toe: Extremely narrow
    • Arch: Low
    • Heel: Roomy
    • Comments: Had loafers on this last. Proportions are weird all around - toe box is so narrow they're hard to put on, but so much room in the heel that my foot easily lifts out when I walk.
  • Meermin Rui: 10UK (Okay fit)
    • Toe: Slightly narrow
    • Arch: Low
    • Comments: Slightly snug in the toe. Would prefer either a 10UK wide, or maybe 10.5UK
  • Oak Street Bootmakers 555: 11 (Good fit)
    • Comments: Camp Mocs - a little snug to start (even barefoot) but have stretched to become more comfortable.
  • Rancourt 114: 11E (Good fit)
    • Toe: Slightly wide
    • Heel: Roomy
    • Comments: Slightly roomy all around, which is normal for loafers
  • Rancourt 115: 10.5D (Poor fit)
    • Length: Slightly short
    • Comments: Taper on the toe box is uncomfortable on my toes, snug through the body of the shoes.
  • Rancourt 115: 11D (Good fit)
    • Comments: Taper on the toe box makes it a little snug on my toes. Still comfy to wear all day with dress socks, but prefer an 11E (especially with thicker socks).
  • Rancourt 115: 11E (Good fit)
    • Comments: Roomy toe box with dress socks. Perfect with thick socks.
  • Red Wing No. 8: 10E
    • Heel: Good, zero slip
    • Comments: Roomy with normal socks, great with thick socks.
  • White's Semi-Dress "Standard" : 10.5E
    • Comments: A little roomy with normal socks, perfect with thick socks. Not sure if "standard" is the official name of the last, that's just what Kyle at Bakers called it.

Last edited:

barbellhacks

Reaction score
Holy hell it is possible! After at least 10 different pairs of CXL shoes over the last few years I finally won the CXL lottery.

I'm telling ya, Whites biases the odds heavily in your favor. I've had less pairs of CXL footwear than you (10, really?), but when I got BHs in Natural CXL, the quality of the leather was way beyond any CXL I'd seen (yes, this is an n=1 report, but it certainly seems like there's an abundance of these n=1 reports).

miggyramone

Reaction score

Hope that helps.
Jokes on you - my wife left me years ago.
Holy hell it is possible! After at least 10 different pairs of CXL shoes over the last few years I finally won the CXL lottery. Every panel on both boots is nice, tight creasing. I need to go buy a lottery ticket.
Also I know I just used up all my luck and my color 8 Vibergs I'm getting are going to be the loosest grain known to man.
Congrats! I know that feeling too well. Bad grain break can be a real son of a b.

wordfool

Reaction score

Your feet are about the same length as mine (when standing, in socks) and I was fitted for 10.5 in the 55 last, 10 in the Barrie (for MP boots), but there are so many other factors that I'm sure get taken into account that I don't think it's as easy as just going on basic length. Your foot shape might be affected more by the higher arch in the 55 last than others' feet, for example, or your toe shape might be accommodated better by wider width.

Still, on the face of it a 10 does sound a bit small. My SDs and BHs are the same size (but narrower) as my Red Wing and Frye boots, and one size down from brannock (and 1.5 sizes down from some sneakers/running shoes) so it made sense to me. Do Kyle/Brandon know the sizes of all your other shoes/boots and how they fit?

EDIT... just saw Kyle got back with 10.5, which sounds better

Last edited:

fushaw

Reaction score
So after sending in my measurements, Kyle changed my size recommendation from a 7.5 to 8.5 based on my feet both being 10.5" long. So It's still a size smaller than my normal size, but with the wider toebox, that might be just fine as most of my issues with shoes have been with width more than length.

Now comes the long wait.

I guess now I'm curious. Does Baker's build the boots themselves? Or are they submitting orders through Whites?

wordfool

Reaction score
So after sending in my measurements, Kyle changed my size recommendation from a 7.5 to 8.5 based on my feet both being 10.5" long. So It's still a size smaller than my normal size, but with the wider toebox, that might be just fine as most of my issues with shoes have been with width more than length.

Now comes the long wait.

I guess now I'm curious. Does Baker's build the boots themselves? Or are they submitting orders through Whites?

AFAIK they submit orders to White's. It sounds like Baker's might do some minor finishing work/changes, but not the main build.

I'm curious if they quoted you a build time and whether it was the usual 6-8 weeks typical of summer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads