• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royteane

Reaction score

I'd like to have my built similar to this sample but in Brown oiled and tan lining, please correct me if I was wrong:
Smoke jumper standard last
standard height
standard heel
plain toe
standard trim
natural edge
leather lace
brass hook and eyes
pull loop
rolled top
Sole Vib100

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends on how and from whom you purchase those boots were $340.00. Whites smoke jumpers outfitted the same way were at 599.00

Wesco uses cheaper grade leathers than Nicks or Whites but still well made quality boots.

$340 is a steal on those, msrp would be at least $450.... So kudos for the bargain.

Also not sure where you get your info on their leather quality. less choices? Yes. lower quality?.... Ok back to Whites

Last edited:

4characters

Reaction score
From http://www.styleforum.net/t/219173/custom-whites-boots-thoughts/3870#post_7166018

So after three weeks of nearly daily wear here is what they are looking like:

The dimple/crease in the toe looks a little funny in the photos, but just comes across as normal looking creases in person so far.

Took about 3 days to break in until I could wear them all day. Wore them daily for about two weeks, then did the LP, and after a day of "baking" in the car they're back on. Water is just from the morning dew, trashcans to the street routine.
Soft toe looks amazing on those! Love how it’s flattening out and conforming to your foot.
smile.gif

4characters

Reaction score
last comment required before placing order today.

I'm between dress brown and brown oiled. I love super dark color of dress brown but I hate its too dreesy texture. I prefer sturdier looked texture of oiled tan brown with its durability is just a minor plus for me.

is there anything between them, or oiled brown with obenauf can get darker to meet my expectation?
Sounds like you are going to use these for work so I say Brown oil. it will get darker with LP and oil. It will also kill your feet, but once broken in will be lovely. One tip though, if you do get brown oil, be sure to wear super thick socks to minimize blisters.

Edit: Just read your last post… build looks good, the picture shows Lace to toe and not plain toe though (you may already know, just making sure). Also looks like a 700 sole.

Last edited:

LouieBailie

Reaction score

I'd like to have my built similar to this sample but in Brown oiled and tan lining, please correct me if I was wrong:
Smoke jumper standard last
standard height
standard heel
plain toe
standard trim
natural edge
leather lace
brass hook and eyes
pull loop
rolled top
Sole Vib100

If you would like to make the break in period much less strenuous, get a pint of Huberds and literally soak them 3-4 times then wear them. You feet will love you for it.

Put it on with a 1-2 inch brush making it look "wet" and let it soak in real well. Let them (dry) absorb overnight and repeat 2-3 more times. Even coat the sole/heel edges. Leave the tongue out until you have worn them. This process will waterproof and make them much more flexible first try on/ wearing.

Last edited:

CityofChamps

Reaction score
Should be getting some farmer/ranchers delivered on Mon. I got them off eBay from White's for a good price. They are not what I would custom order, but I'm going to try them for size, height, and overall fit.

I'll post specs and pics soon.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be getting some farmer/ranchers delivered on Mon. I got them off eBay from White's for a good price. They are not what I would custom order, but I'm going to try them for size, height, and overall fit.

I'll post specs and pics soon.
Sir, Were you the person who grabbed those nice 9D`s?

LouieBailie

Reaction score
$340 is a steal on those, msrp would be at least $450.... So kudos for the bargain.

Also not sure where you get your info on their leather quality. less choices? Yes. lower quality?.... Ok back to Whites

I got it from Horween where all 3 buy lots of leather...and from the bootmaker that resoles stuff for me( 50 plus years using leathers). That is why Whites and Nicks are more expensive then Wesco, the leathers cost more...

climbinglife

Reaction score
I spec'd out a pair of Wesco's on Baker's website and the boots were like 706$ It seems all the options are more expensive then White's options, and every option is extra money lol.

I do like a lot of whats available for them but not sure I'd pull the trigger at that price point. For that amount, id get another pair of Vibergs or SD's with 200 bucks extra in my pocket.

LouieBailie

Reaction score
Horween is the most premium leather supplier in USA. Whites buy from them Nicks buy from them Wesco does not..deductive reasoning says they are using lower cost leathers..what does MR Simpson say.........

PS If one wants to buy at lower cost: go to Wesco website and look in the "factory second"s area. They have their over runs, seconds, customer no pays and very good deals. Some models are 30% some are 50% off....

Baker/Drews boots have a better buying arrangement with Whites and can not discount as much on Wesco... the factory second area is where the deals reside...

Plus Bakers/Drews also have a bargin bin, good deals there..same with Nicks.....

All 3 repair centers have models not picked up after rebuilding that are very reasonable and like new... at 40% of new cost (this is where a lot of ebay sellers get their ridiculously high priced stuff)

Best buying time is Aug Sep when fire season dies down...

ahh what does a frugal man know about buying,,,hahahhah

CityofChamps

Reaction score

Sir, Were you the person who grabbed those nice 9D`s?

I grabbed the 8D brown oil tan, 8", with 430 sole. I've never owned White's so I'm excited to get them.

Daiz, you own some nice boots yourself. You made some bold choices that turned out great. If I remember, after reading this whole thread through twice, I think your a 7.5-8 US yourself right?

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grabbed the 8D brown oil tan, 8", with 430 sole. I've never owned White's so I'm excited to get them.

Daiz, you own some nice boots yourself. You made some bold choices that turned out great. If I remember, after reading this whole thread through twice, I think your a 7.5-8 US yourself right?
Nice catch. No actually I`m a 9D, and was thinking of bidding for the water-buffalo/french calf brown boots with triple sole, went for $355! Always on the lookout for a 9D on ebay, but that combination was daring!

andy b.

Reaction score

Thank you..

Most might not buy White's work boots for looks, but for me looks were certainly one of the reasons I bought these. The other being the Arch ease.. To be honest, I don't think I will ever need the protection these boots provide at work as I work in an office environment. I just want to enjoy wearing the boots and at the same time keep the scuffs and everything else to the minimum so they look more presentable. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I'm kind of in this boat and I figure my White's will outlast me. The SJs I did buy for working outside in the winter, but it's not like I'm fighting fires and pouring concrete in them.

Reaction score
White's would easily be a week's pay for me. But after blowing out Iron Rangers in a year, and finding Chippewa's QC to be dogshit, I'm seriously considering going White's custom in the near future.

Someone help me justify trading a week in Someplace Else for a pair of boots bought sight unseen that maybe fit and are built well enough for daily work in sun and snow and might even help with my plantar fasciitis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics