Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 4characters

4characters Senior member

Sounds like you are going to use these for work so I say Brown oil. it will get darker with LP and oil. It will also kill your feet, but once broken in will be lovely. One tip though, if you do get brown oil, be sure to wear super thick socks to minimize blisters.

Edit: Just read your last post… build looks good, the picture shows Lace to toe and not plain toe though (you may already know, just making sure). Also looks like a 700 sole.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

If you would like to make the break in period much less strenuous, get a pint of Huberds and literally soak them 3-4 times then wear them. You feet will love you for it.

Put it on with a 1-2 inch brush making it look "wet" and let it soak in real well. Let them (dry) absorb overnight and repeat 2-3 more times. Even coat the sole/heel edges. Leave the tongue out until you have worn them. This process will waterproof and make them much more flexible first try on/ wearing.

[​IMG]

3. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Should be getting some farmer/ranchers delivered on Mon. I got them off eBay from White's for a good price. They are not what I would custom order, but I'm going to try them for size, height, and overall fit.

I'll post specs and pics soon.

4. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Sir, Were you the person who grabbed those nice 9D`s?

5. LouieBailie

I got it from Horween where all 3 buy lots of leather...and from the bootmaker that resoles stuff for me( 50 plus years using leathers). That is why Whites and Nicks are more expensive then Wesco, the leathers cost more...

6. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

I give up with this guy.... Signing off

7. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

I spec'd out a pair of Wesco's on Baker's website and the boots were like 706$ It seems all the options are more expensive then White's options, and every option is extra money lol.

I do like a lot of whats available for them but not sure I'd pull the trigger at that price point. For that amount, id get another pair of Vibergs or SD's with 200 bucks extra in my pocket.

8. LouieBailie

Horween is the most premium leather supplier in USA. Whites buy from them Nicks buy from them Wesco does not..deductive reasoning says they are using lower cost leathers..what does MR Simpson say.........

PS If one wants to buy at lower cost: go to Wesco website and look in the "factory second"s area. They have their over runs, seconds, customer no pays and very good deals. Some models are 30% some are 50% off....

Baker/Drews boots have a better buying arrangement with Whites and can not discount as much on Wesco... the factory second area is where the deals reside...

Plus Bakers/Drews also have a bargin bin, good deals there..same with Nicks.....

All 3 repair centers have models not picked up after rebuilding that are very reasonable and like new... at 40% of new cost (this is where a lot of ebay sellers get their ridiculously high priced stuff)

Best buying time is Aug Sep when fire season dies down...

ahh what does a frugal man know about buying,,,hahahhah

9. CityofChamps

I grabbed the 8D brown oil tan, 8", with 430 sole. I've never owned White's so I'm excited to get them.

Daiz, you own some nice boots yourself. You made some bold choices that turned out great. If I remember, after reading this whole thread through twice, I think your a 7.5-8 US yourself right?

10. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Nice catch. No actually I`m a 9D, and was thinking of bidding for the water-buffalo/french calf brown boots with triple sole, went for $355! Always on the lookout for a 9D on ebay, but that combination was daring!

11. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

I'm kind of in this boat and I figure my White's will outlast me. The SJs I did buy for working outside in the winter, but it's not like I'm fighting fires and pouring concrete in them.

12. oreospeedwagon

oreospeedwagon Member

White's would easily be a week's pay for me. But after blowing out Iron Rangers in a year, and finding Chippewa's QC to be dogshit, I'm seriously considering going White's custom in the near future.

Someone help me justify trading a week in Someplace Else for a pair of boots bought sight unseen that maybe fit and are built well enough for daily work in sun and snow and might even help with my plantar fasciitis.

13. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

I think you will never regret a pair of boots that can be rebuilt by the maker, and last a very long time. Just make sure that you get fitted out in a brick and mortar shop ideally, and take the sizing risk away. You can buy a few boots for $100-200, but they never last you as long as Whites. Money well spent, but take out the sizing uncertainty.

14. CityofChamps

IMO, good shoes are an investment. If you spend the money on quality and then give the them the care they need its worth the cost. The return is comfortable, support, durability,and longevity.

The "value" is up to the individual. Do some 'homework' on boots and make the best choice for you.

15. CityofChamps

Sorry about the wrong size assumption. Water buff and French calf sounds more like your style than my boring boot. Can't wait to see pics of what you come up with next!