• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White's would easily be a week's pay for me. But after blowing out Iron Rangers in a year, and finding Chippewa's QC to be dogshit, I'm seriously considering going White's custom in the near future.

Someone help me justify trading a week in Someplace Else for a pair of boots bought sight unseen that maybe fit and are built well enough for daily work in sun and snow and might even help with my plantar fasciitis.
I think you will never regret a pair of boots that can be rebuilt by the maker, and last a very long time. Just make sure that you get fitted out in a brick and mortar shop ideally, and take the sizing risk away. You can buy a few boots for $100-200, but they never last you as long as Whites. Money well spent, but take out the sizing uncertainty.

CityofChamps

Reaction score

White's would easily be a week's pay for me. But after blowing out Iron Rangers in a year, and finding Chippewa's QC to be dogshit, I'm seriously considering going White's custom in the near future.

Someone help me justify trading a week in Someplace Else for a pair of boots bought sight unseen that maybe fit and are built well enough for daily work in sun and snow and might even help with my plantar fasciitis. 

IMO, good shoes are an investment. If you spend the money on quality and then give the them the care they need its worth the cost. The return is comfortable, support, durability,and longevity.

The "value" is up to the individual. Do some 'homework' on boots and make the best choice for you.

CityofChamps

Reaction score

Nice catch. No actually I`m a 9D, and was thinking of bidding for the water-buffalo/french calf brown boots with triple sole, went for $355! Always on the lookout for a 9D on ebay, but that combination was daring!

Sorry about the wrong size assumption. Water buff and French calf sounds more like your style than my boring boot. Can't wait to see pics of what you come up with next!

univibe88

Reaction score

As the saying goes, I am too poor to afford buying cheap.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My White's are moving into almost 2 weeks pay for me, hopefully they'll eventually justify the outlay.
My experience with them and heel pain (possibly PF) has not been good so far - I'm in the middle of physio with that and to this point walking becomes painful in the heel quite quickly.
Everyone's experience is different, and someone else on here found that White's helped them very much with their own heel problems.

'Built well enough' - you can count on that.

By the by, very clever username.

RickyTylerson

Reaction score

these have been posted before - but these are brown smooth (oil finish whatever) after obenauf's and a light hair drying to soak it up. I love the leather. My dad has a pair of semi dress in brown dress and i prefer brown smooth.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

these have been posted before - but these are brown smooth (oil finish whatever) after obenauf's and a light hair drying to soak it up. I love the leather. My dad has a pair of semi dress in brown dress and i prefer brown smooth.
That is such a rich color..

Royteane

Reaction score

that's exactly what I dreamed to be mine.

LouieBailie

Reaction score

I just got a pair of boots back (I bought in 1980) from 2nd rebuilding, they cost more to rebuild that they did new but still going strong.

Last edited:

LouieBailie

Reaction score

Be very careful when using induced heat to soak oils into anything, hot spots cause more concentrated oiling and that area stretches more than the surrounding leather......you are 100% better off placing them in direct sunlight, inside or outside when above 80 degrees and letting them evenly bake.... I have seen many pairs ruined using heat guns....

Then they sell on eBay as new just tried on (HAhaha) and the internet BS sizing rumors get started...(IE: 10.5C fits like 10C if worn inside when the temp is below 125F or 10E in the pool when swimming)

trvlr472

Reaction score

I can't really afford Whites but bought two pairs about 4 or 5 months ago. I've been burned too many times trying to save money on cheap junk. To me it's money well spent and cheaper in the long run. Quality always is. Unless you're paying huge premiums for a name which isn't the case with White's. They are handmade in the USA which is why they cost so much.

andy b.

Reaction score

I think this is one of the best representations of the Brown Smooth. Mine are this dark in person.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whites sells some boots on ebay as "Whitesriver." You can see if there is something you like there cheaper; and they are returnable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads