Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

Quote: You got that right. I've almost slipped and fallen on my ass a couple of times because of the half soles. If you step on a wet pipe for example with that bare leather the slip is instantaneous. They are worthless for climbing steel ladders as well. Now that I know I can take the proper precautions but when these wear out I'm going to a full rubber sole.

2. Royteane

Royteane Well-Known Member

last comment required before placing order today.

I'm between dress brown and brown oiled. I love super dark color of dress brown but I hate its too dreesy texture. I prefer sturdier looked texture of oiled tan brown with its durability is just a minor plus for me.

is there anything between them, or oiled brown with obenauf can get darker to meet my expectation?

3. johng70

johng70 Senior member

Another "advantage" to half-soles: walk around in wet conditions and see how that piece of leather does. If you don't like the look of a lug sole, something like the 430 vibram has a cleaner profile but you get the benefits of an all rubber sole. As a consumer, the only benefit I can see to the half sole is an interesting profile. Given how difficult it is to actually see that profile, there's no good reason IMO to get it.

4. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Go for brown oil. With time, and proper wear and care, it will patina to your liking.

5. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

Get the oiled and use Huberts on them. The Huberts will make them darker brown and very flexible. OR get dark brown bull hide and use Huberts. They will be soft, flexible, and bullet proof

6. sleepy94

sleepy94 Well-Known Member

They are indeed cheaper to repair than replacing a full rubber sole, no need to remove the heal, will last longer than leather a leather sole, again no need to replace the heal when replacing the sole, and do have a certain look that appeals to many. also the flex that is gained by breaking in the leather soles is unaffected by resoling on the half sole, as opposed to resoling a leather sole. So there are advantages to a half-sole as well as the disadvantages discussed.

I think shoe care is vastly underrated and misunderstood on these forums. Oil your boots once a year if needed (more often if subjected to harsh work environments or the outdoors) and brush regularly, and clean and polish at least monthly, more often if you are in a work setting where attire is important. and also the oft neglected edge dressing. Take care of your boots and shoes and they will last a very long time.

7. LouieBailie

If you are concerned about the soles try these bad boys, they will last you guys 2 lifetimes.... and are way less than cost of Whites. 6- 30 inch heights available. These are 8" LTT burlapp color. The heels on these aren't made for the ballerinas either....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

8. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Wesco is actually a bit more expensive overall, but worth it because they're better quality IMHO

Those btw are some badass Jobmasters [​IMG]

9. LouieBailie

Depends on how and from whom you purchase those boots were $340.00. Whites smoke jumpers outfitted the same way were at 599.00

Wesco uses cheaper grade leathers than Nicks or Whites but still well made quality boots.

10. mystlawer

mystlawer Member

Nice. I'll be getting some updated pics of my SDs up today, after only three weeks of wear.

11. mystlawer

mystlawer Member

Meant to quote. I'm digging the wear.

12. mystlawer

mystlawer Member

From http://www.styleforum.net/t/219173/custom-whites-boots-thoughts/3870#post_7166018

So after three weeks of nearly daily wear here is what they are looking like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The dimple/crease in the toe looks a little funny in the photos, but just comes across as normal looking creases in person so far.

Took about 3 days to break in until I could wear them all day. Wore them daily for about two weeks, then did the LP, and after a day of "baking" in the car they're back on. Water is just from the morning dew, trashcans to the street routine.

13. Royteane

Royteane Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I'd like to have my built similar to this sample but in Brown oiled and tan lining, please correct me if I was wrong:
    Smoke jumper standard last
    standard height
    standard heel
    plain toe
    standard trim
    natural edge
    leather lace
    brass hook and eyes
    pull loop
    rolled top
    Sole Vib100

14. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

$340 is a steal on those, msrp would be at least $450.... So kudos for the bargain.

Also not sure where you get your info on their leather quality. less choices? Yes. lower quality?.... Ok back to Whites

15. 4characters

4characters Senior member

Soft toe looks amazing on those! Love how it’s flattening out and conforming to your foot.[​IMG]