• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

anyone familiar with the frequency that RL restocks these models on their website? I've been waiting impatiently for a restock of McCallums so that I can swap my pair, but nothing in the last 3 weeks or so..

TIA!

I wouldn't be surprised if you had to wait until September or longer.
I think it had been a long time before they appeared on the website last fall.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if you had to wait until September or longer.
I think it had been a long time before they appeared on the website last fall.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu not sure they'll honor an exchange that far out. nor do I necessarily want to tie up $500 on a pair of shoes I cant wear.

decisions decisions

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now and for a few days only the RL website is offering $150 off orders over $500. Is there any other time of the year where I can get a lower price for Marlow penny loafers directly from RL?

Thanks

This is not an attractive discount. Historically, there have been opportunities for a 25% to 49% sale/discount at various times of the year. In recent years, RL has become somewhat strategic with sales by not including Marlows (and other cordovan shoes) in all of the sales.

If you are patient, consider waiting for a private sale, which take place semiannually, wherein items are 25% off; there is usually a "kicker" both in store and through a code online during some part of the private sale, which will provide an additional discount on top of the 25%, e.g. extra 15% off.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fuuuuuuuuuuuu  not sure they'll honor an exchange that far out. nor do I necessarily want to tie up $500 on a pair of shoes I cant wear.

decisions decisions

as long as they make the maccullums you can just swap. assuming they go unworn from now until infinity

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as long as they make the maccullums you can just swap. assuming they go unworn from now until infinity

that's how they'll sit then, if that's the case lol.. if they have a generous exchange policy, I'd be willing to wait it out. plenty to wear in the meantime..

granted they were definitely tried on instore before I received them.. no sole wear, but definite creases setting in on the top of the vamp.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Right now and for a few days only the RL website is offering $150 off orders over $500. Is there any other time of the year where I can get a lower price for Marlow penny loafers directly from RL?

Thanks

This is not an attractive discount. Historically, there have been opportunities for a 25% to 49% sale/discount at various times of the year.  In recent years, RL has become somewhat strategic with sales by not including Marlows (and other cordovan shoes) in all of the sales. 

If you are patient, consider waiting for a private sale, which take place semiannually, wherein items are 25% off; there is usually a "kicker" both in store and through a code online during some part of the private sale, which will provide an additional discount on top of the 25%, e.g. extra 15% off. 

I hope this helps. Good luck. 

There's a bizrate 10% coupon code out there which works on NON-SALE items. (Google is your friend.)
There are reports it stacks with the current $150 off $500.
That takes a Marlow from $850 down to $615 versus Give In Style sale of 25% off down to $637.
I think the days of Marlows being part of the Private sale with kicker are gone. Plus in recent times the Private sale for shoes has been 30% so about 39% off with kicker.

ScottMC

Reaction score
Question about color variation. I have recently been on an exchange quest with my Marlow Wingtips. I have seen 5 pairs now, and none have had such a dark and luxurious color as this pair on the left, which, unfortunately, is the pair that was constructed with an offset medallion and upper on the left shoe. Compared to my most recent arrival on the right, the color is darker and uniform. The pair on the right appears to be 2 different shades on different parts of the shoe, and in the right light has a lot of contrast. I am worried that if i keep exchanging pairs I will never be satisfied. What should I do?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Question about color variation. I have recently been on an exchange quest with my Marlow Wingtips. I have seen 5 pairs now, and none have had such a dark and luxurious color as this pair on the left, which, unfortunately, is the pair that was constructed with an offset medallion and upper on the left shoe. Compared to my most recent arrival on the right, the color is darker and uniform. The pair on the right appears to be 2 different shades on different parts of the shoe, and in the right light has a lot of contrast. I am worried that if i keep exchanging pairs I will never be satisfied. What should I do?
The pair on the right most certainly matches my experience with the Marlows in terms of color. Personally, one of my favorite things about my Marlows is the color variations. I like how they look different under different lighting conditions and they have some variances between how they look. I think it gives them more character and uniqueness. That said, I can not attest to the newest batches that C&J has been shipping out as u have had mine for a little while now. I wish you the best of luck! -Mike

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would return the one with the offset medallion and keep the ones that are slightly different color. I have learned thats the beauty of shell and that you will eventually develop a beautiful patina on them. The medallion will always be offset and there is nothing that will change or help that.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would be more concerned with defects and starting with a smooth shell base. I have multiple pairs of C&J for RL cordovan shoes, and I find that over time, the shell will absorb conditioner and polish very easily. It would be relatively easy to transform the look of your new pair pictured on the right through polishing and conditioning to resemble the pair on the left.

I recognize that, for whatever reason, C&J shell for RL is not always consistent and sometimes features streaky or otherwise unusual color variegation. But as long as they're dark brown, it's very easily remedied. In addition, the color of shell changes with wear and exposure to light, so I always kind of laugh when people believe the color and condition of shoes will remain static after wear outside.

Best of luck.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a bizrate 10% coupon code out there which works on NON-SALE items. (Google is your friend.)
There are reports it stacks with the current $150 off $500.
That takes a Marlow from $850 down to $615 versus Give In Style sale of 25% off down to $637.
I think the days of Marlows being part of the Private sale with kicker are gone. Plus in recent times the Private sale for shoes has been 30% so about 39% off with kicker.

Thanks...the 10% stacked and I launched from Shop Discover with the 5% cashback, so essentially $585 + tax on the Marlow. Now the suspense on what shade of shell shows up. I've been very pleased with the quality and shell on my Lindrick, so I hope to get a keeper with the Marlow as well.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ congrats!

My lindrickeezy

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52