• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones Chelsea Boots

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
My guess is that it is a riding boot that can take some walking wear, but may not hold up as well as the goodyear boot , designed solely for work and dress.
The Austro-Hungarian makers use this construction for shoes as well. Also RMW make a large number of dress boots with the screwed construction. They seemed to be mainly aimed at women judging by their designs. They are all very clearly listed by RMW as being 'dress boots' rather than 'riding boots'. RMW make a series of equestrian ridings boots quite distinct from their dress boots - many of which are Goodyear welted.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
J, did you buy C&Js? On which last?
I have the Chelsea model on the 238. Love them, though they make my feet look tiny compared to most of my shoes . The black color probably compounds this.

They have inspired me to get to the project of slimming up my pants.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can anyone compare the 238 C&J Chelsea (benchgrade) or Polo Redding (if I have it right, a 238 last C&J semi-handgrade - channeled soles, among possible other things),

to the nearest/sleekest RMW last? The thing I like most about the C&Js is the shape, so it would be nice to know if there are other options for that shape.

And I too look forward to that Lobb-killer!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose the Redding could be on the 238, although the picture on the C&J web site at least looks stumpy in comparison to the redding. I"ll see if I can take a (cameraphone) side-by-side pic today.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I found the best fit in the Craftsman to be a straight one size down while maintaining the same width. My US 10D became a Aus 9G.

I played a little with one size down in width and one-half size up in length, but they just felt too tight and too long.

lefty

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
For what it's worth, I found the best fit in the Craftsman to be a straight one size down while maintaining the same width. My US 10D became a Aus 9G.

I played a little with one size down in width and one-half size up in length, but they just felt too tight and too long.

lefty

In which leather? I also find that it can be a bit snugger if the leather is yearling. I find that the French veal calf and kangaroo are thinner/softer and the result is a looser fit - especially with the kangaroo which feels like it is a whole width wider.

Also do you mean a US 10D in AE Park Avenues (which I use as my yardstick as I am sure you know)? I think Aldens run a bit wider for example.

I also just realised just how short and wide RMWs run when I compared a 7.5E (extra narrow) RMW on the B529 last with a C&J 7E (standard width) boot - the length is now the same although the RMW is still about one width narrower (though now almost exactly the same width as a size 8 AE Park Avenue).

Anyway more details on precise comparison of lengths/widths will follow. I am now even using calipers to measure widths! A bit obsessional perhaps but more accurate.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
In which leather? I also find that it can be a bit snugger if the leather is yearling. I find that the French veal calf and kangaroo are thinner/softer and the result is a looser fit - especially with the kangaroo which feels like it is a whole width wider.

Also do you mean a US 10D in AE Park Avenues (which I use as my yardstick as I am sure you know)? I think Aldens run a bit wider for example.

I also just realised just how short and wide RMWs run when I compared a 7.5E (extra narrow) RMW on the B529 last with a C&J 7E (standard width) boot - the length is now the same although the RMW is still about one width narrower (though now almost exactly the same width as a size 8 AE Park Avenue).

Anyway more details on precise comparison of lengths/widths will follow. I am now even using calipers to measure widths! A bit obsessional perhaps but more accurate.

Yearling, so that may be it. I was going to get the French veal, but the comment by the clerk threw me.

I don't own AEs nor did I try them as I had access to the RMW shop. Prices were atrocious though so I ordered from Nungar per your recommendation.

It would be great if you source a photo of a worn pair of kangaroo boots to see the wrinkling.

lefty

jmr

Reaction score
I was about to post a new thread on this same topic when I came across this one. I too have been contemplating buying a pair of C&J Chelseas, most likely from plal.com as they have the best prices, and could use a little help with deciding which size to order. I've recently ordered the wrong size of shoe an overseas site and paid dearly in return shipping costs, so I don't want to end up having to return the C&J's to Malaysia.

Some information about my normal size:

I have a pair of Johnston & Murphy--a monkstrap with a somewhat elongated toe--in a size 11US.
I recently tried on a J&M Chelsea in a size 10.5US that fit very well.
I have a pair of Cole Haan cap toes, 11.5 US.

This is about all the information I have. I live in a very small town with no access to higher-end shoes (this would be my first pair) so forgive my footwear sins. From what I've gathered from J's posts, I'd guess I would most likely wear a 10UK in the C&J Chelseas, but would appreciate any help on this issue.

One last thing: I may be going to Chicago soon but haven't been able to find out if anyone there carries C&J. If anyone knows of a vendor that does, I would greatly appreciate the information. Trying on the boots beforehand would help tremendously.

Thanks,

jmr

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads