• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my new suit! It's fun!

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Specs on the suit... Black w/ white pinstripes, 2B SB, unvented, pleated, no cuffs. Most of my tailored clothing is more of the natural shoulder look... due to my incredibly small frame (5' 10, 120lbs) I received several suggestions to get something with a more built up shoulder... to avoid consistently looking like a Dior Homme model.
52v9q8w.jpg
54327hf.jpg
I'm fairly happy with it, as I'm under 20 this suit will only be worn when I fancy wearing it. Suggestions? The pictures aren't the best (ignore the cluttered background!), but I think it looks decent, wearable at least. Kinda washed it out, but it's a fairly accurate representation. Wearing a club collar shirt, btw. Oh, and I had the pants hemmed for very minimal break, 1/2 at most. I hate pants that are too long.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed, shoulders have too much padding ....... if you are thin, than you should look thin in a suit, I feel. Not a big fan of build up shoulders for ppl who are thin.

neyus

Reaction score
The shoulders look a little too build up. But overall quite nice. I would prefer not seeing the belt with the jacket buttoned up

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks nice. The shoulders look good in the first picture, not so good in the second, so it might just be the picture angle. You also might try eating some hearty meals every now and then. I'm 5'10" but weigh 55 pounds more (although I could probably lose a few).

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
to avoid consistently looking like a Dior Homme model.
At your height/weight, uh, that would be hard to pull off... The shoulders are way too built up for your frame. If you want to avoid the 'dior' look, just get suits with more drape and curve to them, like this one (though the shoulders are just too much).

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's not a black suit is it?
marchal.gif

I agree with the others, shoulders are too built, too wide and too square. I like a more natural shoulder (unless you are severely sloped). If you want to de-emphasize your thinness, you could try a solid or check pattern for your next suit rather than vertical stripes.

Also, lapel gorge could be a little higher imo. May want to wear your trouser waist a tad higher to avoid the buckle show. I like the two button, flat front on you.

jackassery

Reaction score
Hmm 5'10" 120... I'm 5'11" like 125ish so I'm in the same boat as you. I'm getting a TaT suit made because its ridiculous trying to find a nice suit when most are designed for people at least 20 pounds heavier than us.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
are you wearing the belt on your hips? it looks like the crotch is hanging too low.
are you sure the suit is black, it comes out brown on my tube.
parker is right, plaids and checks would be great for you.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very low rise pants!

I'm sure you look better than 99.9% of folks your age.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
are you wearing the belt on your hips? it looks like the crotch is hanging too low.
are you sure the suit is black, it comes out brown on my tube.
parker is right, plaids and checks would be great for you.

Yeah, the pants should be higher. I just didn't have them on right and didn't realize until i took the pictures. i don't mind showing some belt though.

I was hoping the stripes would make me taller, maybe they just made me look skinnier
tounge.gif

You guys are right, the shoulders are probably too much, but i'll rock it anyway. Not a whole lot you can do about that when you're as small as me... It's either a suit that makes my shoulders look really sloped, or one that makes them built up
musicboohoo[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I'm sure you look better than 99.9% of folks your age.

totally. Don't fret it. You look great and have plenty of time to fine tune what details you like/don't like.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For somebody under 20 you look excellent (and that from somebody also under 20
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
)
Suit looks quite young, but without the crinkled DH look, they only thing I personally would prefer differently is that you can see the belt with closed jacket(apart from the shoulder padding mentioned by the others).

Our measurements are comparable (I have 3lbs and 2 inches more if I transformed that correctly from the metric system), but my shoulders are really wide what is even worse than in your case, I think.
Maybe the low gorge adds a bit to the impression of being very skinny because it seems to strechtch you as the vertical stripes do a little.
Just go for the slender shoulder - if somebody come across with DH say "we are the sophisticated guys and call it Neapolitan".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads