• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critiqu my 600$ MTM hong kong suit

wbb2

Reaction score
the problem is i only want 1 good looking suit, since the only reasons i wear it are for business or celebrations where it should look proper. i don't wear blazers for going out or everyday wear whatsoever.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shoulder could be fixed by chipping it (opening it up and removing about 1" of the padding from the sleeve head) its not "proper" but it would alleviate the problems.

To me the length of the body doesn't look too bad, maybe 1" short, but you have long arms. It makes the sleeves look too short. I would consider lengthening them by 1/2".

The back generally looks ok, but the tightness in the hips is creating the most disturbance, as well as the opening of the vents. It may be possible to let out the hips if there is enough fabric, but I would suggest that 1" per seam would be a minimum.

While there are a lot of posters in this thread shouting about disasters I don't think its quite true. If this was RTW people would be saying to take it to your tailor, not burn it with fire.

The lower back is the most risky part of a suit. Those with a narrow waist are tempted to cut all the way in to show it off. That is all well and good but your hips are almost always the width of your shoulders. As a result the cloth has to come all the way back out to cover your ass. All those celebrities who have a wide chest and narrow body got it from building muscle in their shoulders and chest, and staying lean on the waist. If you lift weights you can take your measurements from 40" Chest, 34" Waist, 40" Hips to 44" Chest, 34" Waist and 40" Hips. Suddenly the fabric can go in and stay in rather than flaring out again.

For a normal shaped person suppressing the waist to be skin-tight wont ever look good simply because a V shape looks good, not an hour-glass.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who made this awful garment?
Jacket and sleeve measurements off, divots and tightness hither and thither.
This is presumably the danger of buying from those to whom Asian street touts direct you.

:lurk:

I have a kind of morbid fascination with these bad suit from Hong Kong threads.

bluesman528

Reaction score

DONT THROW IT AWAY its a great looking suit for everyday wear and NO ONE AND I MEAN NONE WILL NOTICE the shortness or shoulders etc.

You can't be serious. Did you really look at the pics from the rear side? Whatever it is, "great looking" does not come to mind. And I think this is beyond repair (too small, way too tight in the back and way too short). The OP has a prominent backside that has to be addressed in MTM.

:lurk:
I have a kind of morbid fascination with these bad suit from Hong Kong threads.

:laugh:

colinbc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree that it definitely looks tight throughout. Have you considered getting a refitting then?

wbb2

Reaction score
You can't be serious. Did you really look at the pics from the rear side? Whatever it is, "great looking" does not come to mind. And I think this is beyond repair (too small, way too tight in the back and way too short). The OP has a prominent backside that has to be addressed in MTM.
laugh.gif

What do you mean by prominent backside? Just my butt? Or my overall back? what do i need to tell the tailor next time to make sure he does the backside right?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by prominent backside? Just my butt? Or my overall back?  what do i need to tell the tailor next time to make sure he does the backside right?

Think they're going to have to start over TBH. To me it looks like they completely screwed-up on your measurements. Almost like they got your measurements mixed up with someone else.

wbb2 I read your original posts, ready in 2.5 days. Don't tell me, you were in HK for three days on a visit, and it's one of those things that you have to get, The ready in two days Hong Kong tailor made suit. Count it as a lesson learned, put it down to experience, $600 down the drain and you'll know not to do it again. Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui was it?

Last edited:

wbb2

Reaction score
Think they're going to have to start over TBH. To me it looks like they completely screwed-up on your measurements. Almost like they got your measurements mixed up with someone else.
wbb2 I read your original posts, ready in 2.5 days. Don't tell me, you were in HK for three days on a visit, and it's one of those things that you have to get, The ready in two days Hong Kong tailor made suit. Count it as a lesson learned, put it down to experience, $600 down the drain and you'll know not to do it again. Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui was it?

Again, this was NOT a TST hassle shop. it's a semi reputable shop Baron Kay in Hong Kong. if you search on styleforum severla members had quite good experiences with them.

And i was in HK for a total of 3.5 full days. What happened was :

Day 1: measurement. i chose a ROyal blue fabric.
Day 1 pm : first trial. they had part of the suit complete ( 1 sleeve, etc. ). However, the color of the royal blue fabric i chose i was not happy with, so i insisted that they scrap the suit and change the color to navy blue. I asked if i need to come in for more fittings and htey said no, they'll replicate based on the royal blue fitting. I was quite concerned about this, but being a semi-reputable tailor, i left it up to them. ( lesson learned - always push for more fittings ).
Day 2 - nothing
Day 3 pm : final pickup of naby blue final suit. I noticed how tight it was in the shoulders particularly and the divots in teh shoulders. They said they would try to fix the divots on the side of the shoulders, but the top of the shoulder wrinkles could be resolved by ironing. ( I was very skeptical of this, but i took their word hesitantly for it, being a reputable tailor -- nicolas cage made some suits here before ).The pants were also too long. They said they would fix this and send the suit to me complete.

Day 10 - i receive the suit and it is as shown. pants were STILL too long by 1" ( i know what to look for for pant length). something so easy to fix they neglected on getting right.

So a lot of it was my fault.

To Baron Kay's credit, they have offered to fully refund the amount i paid to them if i send it back to them, which i will.

However, Mike Li is their salesperson. He is quite the salesman, very pushy. I sent him 25 pictures of the suit and he kept insisting that there was nothing wrong with the suit, it was "slim fit" like i asked for, etc., etc. It worried me that he was so defensive about the suit. A good tailor should not try to pass off the mistakes and rely on you the customer who doesn't know exactly what to look for to try to get you to accept the suit.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Again, this was NOT a TST hassle shop. it's a semi reputable shop Baron Kay in Hong Kong.  if you search on styleforum severla members had quite good experiences with them.

And i was in HK for a total of 3.5 full days.  What happened was :

Day 1: measurement. i chose a ROyal blue fabric. 
Day 1 pm : first trial. they had part of the suit complete ( 1 sleeve, etc. ).  However, the color of the royal blue fabric i chose i was not happy with, so i insisted that they scrap the suit and change the color to navy blue. I asked if i need to come in for more fittings and htey said no, they'll replicate based on the royal blue fitting.  I was quite concerned about this, but being a semi-reputable tailor, i left it up to them.  ( lesson learned - always push for more fittings ).    
Day 2 - nothing
Day 3 pm : final pickup of naby blue final suit.  I noticed how tight it was in the shoulders particularly and the divots in teh shoulders.  They said they would try to fix the divots on the side of the shoulders, but the top of the shoulder wrinkles could be resolved by ironing.  ( I was very skeptical of this, but i took their word hesitantly for it, being a reputable tailor -- nicolas cage made some suits here before ).The pants were also too long.  They said they would fix this and send the suit to me complete.  

Day 10 - i receive the suit and it is as shown.  pants were STILL too long by 1" ( i know what to look for for pant length). something so easy to fix they neglected on getting right.

So a lot of it was my fault. 

To Baron Kay's credit, they have offered to fully refund the amount i paid to them if i send it back to them, which i will. 

However, Mike Li is their salesperson.  He is quite the salesman, very pushy.  I sent him 25 pictures of the suit and he kept insisting that there was nothing wrong with the suit, it was "slim fit" like i asked for, etc., etc.  It worried me that he was so defensive about the suit.  A good tailor should not try to pass off the mistakes and rely on you the customer who doesn't know exactly what to look for to try to get you to accept the suit.  

Now that sounds very much like a hassle shop to me. So it's not touts outside, it's pushy commission driven sales people inside the store. "it's a semi reputable shop Baron Kay in Hong Kong" "slim fit"?...did you specifically ask for slim fit or skinny?

You were warned about them in the one reply to your http://www.styleforum.net/t/309522/hk-suits-baron-kay-william-cheng-jantzens thread.
"All are no good for suiting. Better to chip in more"

Next time you need a HK suit go to WW Chan or someone who is completely reputable, and you will need to spend more money and take much longer.

BTW three years ago, I had a MTM blazer made by the infamous/famous Sam's Tailor, who were not pushy I found, and nor did they try to upsell me. I'm actually happy with it, I like wearing it and hasn't fallen apart yet. :) The fact a tailor made a suit once for a celeb(Nicholas Cage) is no real guide if they're any good or not. That's what Sam's relies on, they've got a wall full of celebs wearing his apparel. :crazy:

It's good that Baron has offered you a complete refund if you return it.

Last edited:

wbb2

Reaction score
Now that sounds very much like a hassle shop to me. "it's a semi reputable shop Baron Kay in Hong Kong"
You were warned about them in the one reply to your http://www.styleforum.net/t/309522/hk-suits-baron-kay-william-cheng-jantzens thread.
"All are no good for suiting. Better to chip in more"
Next time you need a HK suit go to WW Chan or someone who is completely reputable, and you will need to spend more money and take much longer.
BTW three years ago, I had a MTM blazer made by the infamous/famous Sam's Tailor , I'm actually happy with it, I like wearing it and hasn't fallen apart yet.
smile.gif

Oh come on.... "All are no good for suiting. Better to chip in more".

i'm not going to go by one person's recommendation on a suit. Everybody knows you go to them if you want to spend that money.

But i didnt want to spend 1300$ nor did i have a week. 600$ should be able to get you something ~85% ( don't flame i'm just guessing) of what Chan can make.

I figured Baron Kay would be able to make me a suit that i'd be happy with ( i'm not picky to the very smallest details ), far better than the one he produced.

Regarding the hassle shop. Yes MIke definitely came off that way. Tried to sell more suits and pants, which i don't imagine Chan or the other top tailor shops to do. This is fine that they are a bit pushier. I'm not expecting top of the line treatment and quality for 600$, but like i said, i'd hope i'd get something ~85% of what a Chan suit would be.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm not going to go by one person's recommendation on a suit.  Everybody knows you go to them if you want to spend that money. 

But i didnt want to spend 1300$ nor did i have a week.  600$ should be able to get you something ~85% ( don't flame i'm just guessing) of what Chan can make. 

I figured Baron Kay would be able to make me a suit that i'd be happy with ( i'm not picky to the very smallest details ), far better than the one he produced.

Regarding the hassle shop. Yes MIke definitely came off that way.  Tried to sell more suits and pants, which i don't imagine Chan or the other top tailor shops to do.  This is fine that they are a bit pushier.  I'm not expecting top of the line treatment and quality for 600$, but like i said, i'd hope i'd get something ~85% of what a Chan suit would be.   

So basically you took a gamble, and what you got was no way near what Chan would have made. But at least you can get a refund on it.

I spent $350 three years ago in HK and got a MTM blazer I liked, that was done in within 72 hours. Fits well and is still holding up. Gets loads of compliments, but that's probably the location I'm in. :) It was my first time of a getting a HK tailored garment made. It could so well have been tailoring disaster, that's the chance I took at the time I think. Since then I've had two pairs of trousers and six shirts made by the same tailor. They've got my measurements on file and I haven't changed size in three years.

Any shop that tries upselling me, I'm usually straight out of there. Especially those HK tech and camera shops. I told an SA to "**** off" once, when he was trying to sell me a much more expensive HDMI cable than the one I was considering. I'm sure it's been said on SF many times, a good tailor is about you, and not tryng to push you into something you don't like, doesn't fit properly or selling you extra things.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm not going to go by one person's recommendation on a suit.  Everybody knows you go to them if you want to spend that money. 

But i didnt want to spend 1300$ nor did i have a week.  600$ should be able to get you something ~85% ( don't flame i'm just guessing) of what Chan can make. 

Regarding the hassle shop. Yes MIke definitely came off that way.  Tried to sell more suits and pants, which i don't imagine Chan or the other top tailor shops to do.  This is fine that they are a bit pushier.  I'm not expecting top of the line treatment and quality for 600$, but like i said, i'd hope i'd get something ~85% of what a Chan suit would be.   

$600 will not give you anything like Chan's suit, sorry.

dirkweems

Reaction score
Three options:

1) Burn it.

2) Hang it up on your closet door as a reminder of what not to do, ever.

3) Wear it only in Hong Kong. Apparently this passes muster in HK. Wear it outside the shop you bought it from and tell every bloke who may be considering the purchase of a suit that this is what he will end up with.

The coat looks like it was made for a man 3 inches shorter than you. The lapels...wow, I've never seen anything like it.

It doesn't matter if you wear a suit 5 days a week, or 5 times a year. Wear something that makes you look respectable and not like you jumped some younger kid in Public school and ran of with his suit for a summer internship interview at some city firm.

wbb2

Reaction score
Three options:
1) Burn it.
2) Hang it up on your closet door as a reminder of what not to do, ever.
3) Wear it only in Hong Kong. Apparently this passes muster in HK. Wear it outside the shop you bought it from and tell every bloke who may be considering the purchase of a suit that this is what he will end up with.
The coat looks like it was made for a man 3 inches shorter than you. The lapels...wow, I've never seen anything like it.
It doesn't matter if you wear a suit 5 days a week, or 5 times a year. Wear something that makes you look respectable and not like you jumped some younger kid in Public school and ran of with his suit for a summer internship interview at some city firm.

What is wrong with the lapels? I know they are high but what else is wrong with them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics