1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Critiqu my 600$ MTM hong kong suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wbb2, Aug 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. wbb2

wbb2 Member

The major problem i see is in the fit of the shoulders. some of the pics don't show how bad the situation is, but it's really bad the divots in the top of the shoulder. i like the rest of the suit, but the divots really just ruin it. i'm wondering if taking the padding out may help?

it's a quite tight fit too.

i have an athletic build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

• Something is odd with the right sleeve as seen in the first picture.
    • I do not like how the suit falls around lower back. It may be too tight, but the vents stick out a bit too much for my liking.

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

As you mentioned, the "divots" on the shoulders are a big problem -- could be the fabric, padding or construction. The jacket looks one or two sizes too small -- too tight in your mid-section, bunching in your lower back, vents don't lie flat, length is about 2" too short and lapel notches are too high. It may not be salvageable. Hopefully, you paid 600 HKD and not 600 USD.

4. wbb2

wbb2 Member

I agree with most of it. they were probalby too aggressive on the tightness of the jacket, trying to make it more fashionable.

I also don't like the bunching in the lower back and the way the jacket falls on my butt ( i have a large butt ) . One positive is that i don't usually button the jacket, so that will loosen it up.

I do like the length of the jacket, i realize most people want it 2" longer but i like a shorter jacket.

i also agree that the lapel notches are too high.

WOw this helps, i now realize how bad this suit really is !

And this was made at Baron Kay in Hong Kong, a relatively reputable tailor. for 600USD

I only had one fitting, however. Next time i'm going to have more fittings and get these fixed.

5. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

It's not THAT bad. In fact I've seen far worse. In the traditional sense there are many little things. But I'd certainly not be afraid to wear that out to a club or even the office midweek on a non-client day. Don't let SF get you down!

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Too tight in the waist

7. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Tightness in the waist my be undone.. usually there is some fabric in the side seams by the waist where it can be taken... usually an inch I think..I prefer high notches so that's not a problem..the divots in the shoulder pad might be due to the way the arm-holes are set in with the shoulders pads in relation to your arms.. that I do not believe is fixable.. even if you were to mess with the shoulders which bring on its own set of problem's...

8. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Looks slightly too tight throughout - shoulders, chest, waist; not sure what can be done about it.

Not horrible by any means, maybe wear it during the times when your weight drops (not sure how much your weight fluctuates).

9. wbb2

wbb2 Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I really only wear a suit 5 or 6 times a year to weddings and other work celebrations, but was hoping that this one would be the one. i'm learning more and more with each suit, unfortunately in a year or two i'll probably get another one. ( i had mtm suit made in shanghai, vietnam, and now HK ). i was somewhat happy with them momentarily until i knew what i shoudl be looking for.

I don't plan on buttoning the suit very often, which would help with the tightness.

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Why don't you buy RTW until you figure things out?

11. TemiCastro

TemiCastro Active Member

in my experience MTM tailors rarely get the look we SFers like... that's why we thrift ...

I have a tailor in Lagos, old school guy, who gets all hot and sweaty when we argue about suit length etc

However, with time he has come to understand me better and I get the occasional props from acquaintances and strangers..

If a tailor is good and you have patience he will come through for you..

Blessings

12. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

How are tailors in Nigeria? I'm thinking thats where you reside correct?

13. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

1) Shoulders are looking like you are wearing American Football shoulder pads
    2) Jacket is definitely too short (and I am saying this as someone erring rather on the shorter side for jacket length
    3) The back needs to be cleaned up a lot...I do not think it is simply too tight, then there would be pulling at the button, which I can't see

By the way: Your pose seems to be very artificial (holding the arms out). Ideally pics should be in a relaxed, normal position.

I would send the pictures back to the tailor and ask for revision. I agree that I have seen worse fitting suits, but this is no argument for accepting this result. You paid for MTM, so you deserve something, which fits better than this.

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

Who made this awful garment?

Jacket and sleeve measurements off, divots and tightness hither and thither.

This is presumably the danger of buying from those to whom Asian street touts direct you.

15. wbb2

wbb2 Member

This is actually from a semi-reputable tailor. Baron Kay of Hong Kong.

Definitely no Gordon Yao or WW Chan by any means, but several styleforum members have said he made a pretty good suit.

How much more to ask for on the suit length? 1" ??

What exactly do you mean by cleaning up the back? Can you describe further?

Thanks for all the help. Luckily, i've only paid 1/3 of the suit so far. I am going to ask him to fix these issues before i pay the remainder.

16. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Gah. The whole "divots" thing started out as a joke. But yes, along with a lot of other things mentioned, the shoulders are too big. And the right sleeve pitch is off.

17. wbb2

wbb2 Member

i'm attaching a bunch more pictures and i'm going to ask the tailor to fix the issues with the jacket. If could use help in explaining the issues with the jacket to the tailor and what i want him to fix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member

I did the same (buying suits I thought looked OK, but I didnt REALLY look). That said, I wear a suit daily, so I'm more picky about how I look.

I think a size +1 for your coat would be best, given that the waist and shoulders are both so tight.

19. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

It seems as though you worked out too much after you got measured up. The jacket needs to be let out basically.

20. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

as long as its your everday wear suite for casaul i say it looks great as long as you dont button it up wear it like you do now and I promise you people will look at how spiffy you look, how casual cool you are, among other things...only SF forum where members will critique the last stitching...I have never saw someone ask in a thread 'how do I look' and everyone will say something about it thats 'off' not one perfect suit.

Not even daniel craigs suit in bond movies.....the guys say his suit is too tight and he is too short for a suit among other crazy things.