Critiqu my 600$ MTM hong kong suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wbb2, Aug 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Gah. The whole "divots" thing started out as a joke. But yes, along with a lot of other things mentioned, the shoulders are too big. And the right sleeve pitch is off.

2. wbb2

wbb2 Member

i'm attaching a bunch more pictures and i'm going to ask the tailor to fix the issues with the jacket. If could use help in explaining the issues with the jacket to the tailor and what i want him to fix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member

I did the same (buying suits I thought looked OK, but I didnt REALLY look). That said, I wear a suit daily, so I'm more picky about how I look.

I think a size +1 for your coat would be best, given that the waist and shoulders are both so tight.

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

It seems as though you worked out too much after you got measured up. The jacket needs to be let out basically.

5. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

as long as its your everday wear suite for casaul i say it looks great as long as you dont button it up wear it like you do now and I promise you people will look at how spiffy you look, how casual cool you are, among other things...only SF forum where members will critique the last stitching...I have never saw someone ask in a thread 'how do I look' and everyone will say something about it thats 'off' not one perfect suit.

Not even daniel craigs suit in bond movies.....the guys say his suit is too tight and he is too short for a suit among other crazy things.

6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

- Probably 2 inches longer (hard to guess from picture ... your butt must be fully covered)
    - Cleaning up means that the vents are closed and the fabric does not show wrinkles or pulling when you stand in a relaxed upright position with the arms hanging down

Did you try the finished suit in the shop and did the tailor look at it? Did he claim this is good?

7. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

That's like saying, "Only a mechanic will notice your car has engine issues so don't worry about it."

When it comes to this suit, anyway, no one is really hammering on tiny details. There are some big issues with the fit and MTM should not have those problems.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

There is indeed worse, but we have not been shown the trousers to this wretched coat so it can get worse! The tailor should have had sufficient pride to either remake it or certainly burn this one, however it seems that he has spotted someone inexperienced and has taken the maximum advantage to get a dreadful garment out of his shop.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

10. wbb2

wbb2 Member

Regarding jacket length. most of you have said that the jacket is too short. i would agree since it doesnt seem to cover my big arse. I do see a lot of shorter jackets ( such as the ones below )

They fall to around the first knuckle of the hand. that's what i was using to gauge jacket length when i told the tailor i wanted something shorter.

is it even possible to lengthen the jacket 1"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

It seems who measure you has gotten the measurement all wrong. The divots are course by tightness in the upper sleeve and shoulders, waist is too tight, length too short. When you have your jacket unbutton the two front edges should be touching at present there seems to be more than one inch gap. It won't be possible to lengthen the jacket. How to do the pants fit?

I would try ask your tailor to remake the jacket for you rather have the existing one alter.

12. wbb2

wbb2 Member

Thanks for the comments. i agree that it would be better if he took a shot at remaking the jacket.

MY problem is...i am not in Hong Kong. I would ship the jacket to him and he would have to recreate the jacket based on the existing jacket and those pictures.
    Do you think having the existing jacket, no fittings, and just the pictures, he will be able to do this and have a good jacket made?

Thanks!!

13. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

That is a hard call, I am not certain they will fix all the problems without you being there.. Having the right measurements will be a good start, perhaps you can go to a local tailor who is willing to take your measurements for you. If you send them the measurements with your photos you will have a better outcome.

14. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

Its a loss for a business wear suit like other members have said and another member said 'THROW IT AWAY' I would not throw away a suit such as this that he spent 600 dollars on its a great looking suit for 'casual' wear and everywear, but not a formal setting its 'off' as other forum members have said.

LIke you said 'it doesnt fit' but are you also suggestting throw it away like other members also.....its not a loss.

15. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

I agree, but other SF members were saying throw it away...Im not. DONT THROW IT AWAY its a great looking suit for everyday wear and NO ONE AND I MEAN NONE WILL NOTICE the shortness or shoulders etc..like us SF members do. I would not wear it for formal wear though based on that build.........