Crack in the sole of my Edward Greens

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forseti6, Jan 4, 2013.

1. forseti6

forseti6 Senior member

So I recently dropped off my pair of Edward Green Chelseas to have steel toe taps installed by a reputable shoe repair company in NYC. I've had them do all the my toe taps in the past and I have nothing but praise for them. But my latest pair of shoes came back with an issue. After wearing the shoes for an hour I noticed the the sole on the left shoe had developed a crack. Inspecting further, the crack goes through the entire sole:

[​IMG]

Now judging by the vicinity to the toe tap installation, I can only deduce it was caused by that.

Is this something to worry about? The crack actually moves like tectonic plates when I walk on it. I feel this crack has compromised the integrity of my sole and might require a resoling prematurely. Should I bring this up with the shoe repair store? Has anyone seen this before?

2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I can't comment as to whether or not it will have an affect on the shoe, but I would definitely mention it.

3. forseti6

forseti6 Senior member

I bought these shoes in the summer. Probably wore them two or three times tops before I decided to get the toe taps installed. I'm 100% certain there was no sole crack when I brought them in. The shoes had very little wear on them.

These taps were screwed in. I would say the screws are fairly standard, place near but not on the stitching.

The sole isn't move horizontally, but it is moving vertically along the crack.

From what I gather I suppose I'll bring it into the shoe repair store and ask them for their opinion on Monday.