• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crack in the sole of my Edward Greens

forseti6

Reaction score
So I recently dropped off my pair of Edward Green Chelseas to have steel toe taps installed by a reputable shoe repair company in NYC. I've had them do all the my toe taps in the past and I have nothing but praise for them. But my latest pair of shoes came back with an issue. After wearing the shoes for an hour I noticed the the sole on the left shoe had developed a crack. Inspecting further, the crack goes through the entire sole:

Now judging by the vicinity to the toe tap installation, I can only deduce it was caused by that.

Is this something to worry about? The crack actually moves like tectonic plates when I walk on it. I feel this crack has compromised the integrity of my sole and might require a resoling prematurely. Should I bring this up with the shoe repair store? Has anyone seen this before?

forseti6

Reaction score

I would be careful with that. It is probably a good idea to ask EG for an opinion, but it might mean having the shoe resoled, which is better than discovering that the shoe has become entirely ruined as a result of wearing them with the damage.

How old is the shoe?

Did they have a lot of wear before you sent them in for toe taps or were they unworn?

If they were new, were they not perhaps a little dry from being left in a dry retail storage area for a long time? If this is the case then the cobbler really should have noted this before installing the toe taps and he should have treated the leather before installing the plates.

Are the toe taps screwed in or are they nailed in? How thick are the screws holding them in? Where are teh screws / nails placed vis a vis the stitching?

When you say the sole "moves like tectonic plates" are the leather pieces making up the sole moving horizontally? Or is the movement confined to the vertical crack visible in the image?

I bought these shoes in the summer. Probably wore them two or three times tops before I decided to get the toe taps installed. I'm 100% certain there was no sole crack when I brought them in. The shoes had very little wear on them.

These taps were screwed in. I would say the screws are fairly standard, place near but not on the stitching.

The sole isn't move horizontally, but it is moving vertically along the crack.

From what I gather I suppose I'll bring it into the shoe repair store and ask them for their opinion on Monday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads