• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cookbooks

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for good cookbooks? I'm trying to eat better meals and want to cook some good stuff. I'm getting a smoker this summer, so I'm going to buy Charcuterie and definitely re-read Piob's sausage & meat thread. Here's the list I'm thinking about getting for now:

Momofuku (Chang)
French Laundry, Bouchon, Ad-Hoc (Keller)
Charcuterie (Ruhlman)
How to Cook Everything (Bittmann)

Anyone have any other examples of good cookbooks, or have any personal experiences with any of the above books?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others will give you great recomendations, as they did so for me in this thread. I would suggest getting a subscription to Cook's Illustrated while you're at it. It's a fantastic publication with great product reviews for the home cook and technique demonstrations. Their recipe's are often above average as well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The Complete Robuchon
Ad Hoc

Coulpled with the Babbo cookbook, I cook 90% of my dinners at home with these.

dsoren

Reaction score
I have all of the Keller cookbooks, and they are fantastic. I used them more food Appreciation than actual cooking though. The Momofuku one is also fantastic. A couple more:

Craft of Cooking (Tom Colicchio)
Les Halles Cookbook (Anthony Bourdain)
The Foodie Handbook (Pim Techamuanvivitt)

Another one that's not really about cooking but more about an ingredient: The Cheese Plate.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As recommended by kwilk: The Professional Chef, used by the Culinary Institute of America.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like:
Julia Child's The Way to Cook
I Know How to Cook published by Phaidon
Gullah Home Cooking the Daufuskie Way: Smokin' Joe Butter Beans, Ol' 'Fuskie Fried Crab Rice, Sticky-Bush Blackberry Dumpling, and Other Sea Island Favorites by Sally Robinson
Joy of Cooking: 75th Anniversary Edition
The Taste of Country Cooking: 30th Anniversary Edition by Edna Lewis

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I tend to prefer cookbooks that are more like reference books, rather than stylistic collection of recipes. Think an encyclopedia rather than a novel. Here are my favorites:

The Joy of Cooking
Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Julia Child et al)
La Technique (Jacques Pepin)

I also cook a lot of Chinese food - the Wei Chuan series is fantastic. It is generally by province (Sichuanese, Cantonese, etc.) and explains ingredients and techniques.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a rather authentic italian cookbook I would go with: "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" by Marcella Hazan

bryce330

Reaction score
The Silver Spoon - the only Italian cookbook you will ever need.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kind of depends on where you are as a cook and where you want to be. unless you're already fairly experienced, the only books on your list that i'd consider are ad hoc and bittman. the others are good books, but they'll sit on your coffee table.
if you're a decent basic cook, i'd add the chez panisse books. maybe simply french for the occasional big-deal meal when you want to cook like matt. also Patricia Wells' books are very good.
for italian, marcella's great. have not been impressed with silver spoon, sorry. it's kind of like a collection of Italian bon appetit recipes. nothing wrong with that necessarily, but the food isn't particularly italian.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spying