• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Construction issue with Rider boots

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same "issue" with my Ciro Lendini Chelsea boots which I choose to ignore.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem with a Heschung boot, but mine was goodyear with a storm welt

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Giancarlo just wrote my new favorite post ever.

I could actually hear his accent while reading his post. Awesome.

Nexus6

Reaction score
If AE did something like that, there would be a mass frenzy flaming AE 'quality control';
labelling them 'seconds' or recommending they be returned.

Something is not right here with the obvious bias.
No one was suggesting Mr Rider is a bad person or unqualified.
It was a straight-forward question about a concern the OP has about his shoes.
And I have to agree with the OP, I would have posted a concern myself.
It is 100% noticeable...especially if he paid retail.

I purchased shoes at retail that had the exact same problem.
(to clarify- They were another company.)
I was and still am furious about that purchase.

If the pair I bought had been discounted and marked as seconds,
I would have no problems at all.

On the other hand,
I bought a pair of AE Bel Air's and the stitching was jumping in & out of the sole trench.
Paid retail too. But it didn't bother me at all.

Your boots are beautiful looking though.
It will be interesting to see how they wear over the next month or two.
Please keep us updated.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There seems to be nothing wrong with these shoes

Nexus6

Reaction score
Just so you won't feel so bad... Here's some pictures of a pair of Bally Of Switzerland Summer Shoes I have here. I know this is a completely different animal altogether, but the principle of quality control is still the issue... Now, the shoes were originally white. I got them at a thrift store last year for $8 (CDN), so I don't know what the retail was. I dyed them black because the white was too 'old mannish' for me. Wore them about a dozen times..very light wearing.. ..and look at them now. Retail or not...this is a massive f*** up on Bally's part. Made in Switzerland too! Lucky for them I cannot return them. I don't mean to 'hijack the thread', this is only to show that it could be worse, a lot worse.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6
Just so you won't feel so bad...
Here's some pictures of a pair of Bally Of Switzerland Summer Shoes I have here.
I know this is a completely different animal altogether,
but the principle of quality control is still the issue...

Now, the shoes were originally white.
I got them at a thrift store last year for $8 (CDN), so I don't know what the retail was.
I dyed them black because the white was too 'old mannish' for me.
Wore them about a dozen times..very light wearing..
..and look at them now.

Retail or not...this is a massive f*** up on Bally's part.
Made in Switzerland too!
Lucky for them I cannot return them.

I don't mean to 'hijack the thread', this is only to show that it could be worse,
a lot worse.

confused.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nexus6, I don't think you understand Blake rapid construction. (I'm not sure I do either. Still--) Your shoe does not look like it was made the same way. So your example vs the Rider boot example is apples and oranges.

Giancarlo's post is not the easiest thing to follow, but maybe you should re-read it and ask questions if you don't follow what he is saying. I think I understand him, but I am not an expert on this, so I will not attempt to translate anything literally.

The general idea seems to be that this is a cosmetic defect with the Rider boots that is going to be not uncommon because of the way they put the shoes together. The OP's shoe is not coming apart at all. Rather it has been sewn together with a bit too much room between two rows of stitches at that point.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I appreciate it! And Gianca, thanks for seeing this and posting a reply while I have been busy at a Trunk Show.

And, Nexus6, don't worry....the client and I took care of this privately a few days ago....I didn't post on the thread but communicated directly with the OP. If something is of concern regarding any of my boots, without regard to if they were purchased directly from me or second hand in any other venue, I like to know about it. In this case, there is no technical defect, but I can certainly see how it would be a concern, and is worth the conversation. AND, I would certainly hope no bias would come into play....money doesn't play favorites and an investment is an investment. My boots are certainly an investment, and they are expected to give many years of service.

For this construction (the Tirolese, or what an American customer would know as a Storm Welt) we use a floating top welt....it is not stitched thru the upper, and is simply an added .5 CM measure of water-repellency.

2u7oisx.gif

note - this diagram is informational...the inside stitch is actually done on the curve and closer to the insole edge

As you can see by the construction diagram the insole is above the stitchline, so there is no direct line from the outside to the foot. Furthermore, we are working with leather here.....a natural material that changes as time and wear conditions dictate. A Storm Welt is a very small piece of leather where the grain is exposed at the top. Moisture, humidity, etc can effect how this moves with the shoe after wear.....it's like wood - it changes constantly. If I asked that the factory put cement into this cavity, the chances of this opening up slightly would be greatly reduced. However, I am not interested in this, so I don't ask.....I do not think it important. If anyone reading this feels that the upper should be cemented to the welt and never move away, than by all means please do not buy my boots with the Tirolese Welt. You won't be happy. I do not want un-happy clients, for sure. I have looked thru my stock and on just about every pair I can pull the upper away from the welt when I try. I have used this construction for at least 8 years on a variety of products/brands/markets (all from our factory), and cannot recall a single pair ever being returned, so I will happily stick with it.

Ok, all for now...hope that helps, and it's a good post - I'm glad it came up.

And, just to clarify how I work, the OP and I have communicated almost immediately after this thread went up, and he has an open invitation to send the boots to me for inspection/adjustment - as do all of my clients! I do not believe in perfection - don't even attempt to pursue it - but do believe in honest, straight-forward communication and, ultimately, client satisfaction. After I explain my position on anything, the customer will decide how I proceed. - your the boss!

Ron

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your beautiful ron.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics