• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar tightness on a dress shirt

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been ordering 15.5" shirts from Jantzen, and also wear that size OTR. However, I've noticed that I can fit more than two fingers into my buttoned collar, and I'm wondering if my collar is a dab loose. From experience, I know that a 15" would be too tight, but could I go with a 15.25"? I'm wondering how much tighter that quarter inch will make the collar, because I don't want to do another test shirt from Jantzen but also don't want to be left with a bunch of shirts I can't button.

Thanks.

BGW

Reaction score
Have you laundered your current Jantzen shirts? Multiple times?

How does the collar look and feel on your neck? The two finger test is nice, but you have the ability to judge comfort and aesthetics on your own.

BTW, an unwashed 15'' should be about a 15.25 (use a tap emeasure to be sure). If 15'''s are too tight immediately when you place them on, you know that you should keep your current Jantzen size.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the regular collar stiffness I think it looks fine (by the way, how are you supposed to place the two fingers in your collar? Are you supposed to slip them in so that the fingertips are touching flush against your neck? Or are the fingers supposed by put them in perpendicularly?). With the soft collar though (I tried one shirt with the soft collar and hated it), when I pull the tie straight it has just a touch of wrinkling that I need to get rid of by sort of "adjusting" the collar).

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two fingers is a good fit generally. Much less, and I find that the collar is not entirely comfortable. Just don't tighten your tie so tight that the collar wrinkles.

Kai

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have the shirt and you wear it right? how can you not know if it fits or not? forget about rules and "supposed to" and draw your own conclusions about what is comfortable for you. sorry to rant but really--getting dressed is more art than science.

BjornH

Reaction score
Just don't tighten your tie so tight that the collar wrinkles.  
My experience is that if you can do that, then the collar is too large. A fresh 15.5 collar will wrinkle on me with a taut knot but after the first wash everything comes together.

Why not send Ricky your exact circumference and let him make the decision ?

B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads